• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Offshore - 72.5N, 20.3E (1 Viewer)

Offman

Its been a while, but hello to you all.
I hope you are all well and avoiding the virus.
Currently working NW of Hammerfest, Norway on the Johan Castberg Field.
Been here 2 days now, with not much to report, Fulmars and the occasional Puffin.
Around 1 in 10 of the Fulmars are the Blue ones.
Not sure I am on any flyways here, Svalbard/Norway maybe?
Just to keep things interesting, its never dark up here, when the clouds lift we should see the Midnight sun.....

Its been a while, but hello to you all.
I hope you are all well and avoiding the virus.
Currently working NW of Hammerfest, Norway on the Johan Castberg Field.
Been here 2 days now, with not much to report, Fulmars and the occasional Puffin.
Around 1 in 10 of the Fulmars are the Blue ones.
Not sure I am on any flyways here, Svalbard/Norway maybe?
Just to keep things interesting, its never dark up here, when the clouds lift we should see the Midnight sun.....

Looking forward to your “visitors” Offman, am sure you won’t disappoint.

Cheers :t:

Well, what can I say, not much to report, usual gang of Fulmars hanging around, the occasional Kittiwake and Puffin. This evenings highlight, a single adult Gannet.
We have been seeing whales though, usually a Humpback everyday, sometimes close, but its over so quick, only a few photos.

Attachments

• Fluke #4_cc.JPG
    Fluke #4_cc.JPG
    709.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Dorsal #1_cc.jpg
    Dorsal #1_cc.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 37
Well, what can I say, not much to report, usual gang of Fulmars hanging around, the occasional Kittiwake and Puffin. This evenings highlight, a single adult Gannet.
We have been seeing whales though, usually a Humpback everyday, sometimes close, but its over so quick, only a few photos.

Keep those white lights on Offman.:t:

So, what with work keeping me inside most of the time, not much about, finally got a Sooty Shearwater, just a single, along with a Fin or Sei whale, still debating that one. Weather has been very calm with little or no wind and lots of fog, until this weekend of course, when were meant to be in for a blow, 6 m seas etc, so the plan is to go to shelter.

Were in Tromso for a crew change, prior to going back out for the final time.
Managed to get a Manx Shearwater, it was at range but showed white below, dark above, a single Guillemot and a Lesser Black-backed Gull.
Keeping an eye out for white winged gulls whilst were here. Plenty of Herring Gull around.
Here's some Fulmars for you all.

Attachments

• B_Fulmar 001.JPG
    B_Fulmar 001.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
  • B_Fulmar 002.JPG
    B_Fulmar 002.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Fulmar 001.JPG
    Fulmar 001.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 15
Well, thats us all done, heading home, via a field 2 days to the South of us to retrieve an anchor, then onto Bergan and heading home.
Nothing new to report, I think this is my first trip with only sea birds.
Thanks for reading, and we'll see where they send me next.
Stay safe

Thanks for writing. Good stuff as usual. :t:

Next time maybe even more Northern site - Svalbard. ;) (I'm not even sure is there any oil fields)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back