• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Birdings all about (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
For me this weekend has been what birding is all about for three reasons: enjoying the common birds, finding rare birds, and probably most of all doing it with friends! I only birded at my house and my favorite hotspot: New Vision, but I saw over 70 species these two days and they included some really fun ones! My weekend started well by birding with two of the legends of Bangladesh birding: Sayam U. Chowdhury and Enam Ul Haque.
And that morning I found a rare Black-headed Bunting, my first lifer since May! First found by Sayam vai in BD around 10 years ago and my record is around the 10th national record and the first around Dhaka.
Then this morning I saw a Purple Heron a new hotspot bird for me (#119 I think) and it was also new for my 5MR (#153). They're pretty uncommon around Dhaka, seen a few times a year.
Part of birding is the social aspect, and birding with my brother Nic, and friends Elias Thomas and Zaber Ansary plus meeting Asker Ibne Firoz for the first time is a good example of that.
And then to wrap up a great morning I got easily my best photos yet of the elusive Black Bittern! They are very shy and usually only seen in flight, but being in the right areas for enough time can give you some lucky chances like photographing a perched Black Bittern in the 2-3 seconds before it disappears into thick reeds!
Also adding some other fun photos from this weekend of slightly less interesting birds (including Eastern Yellow Wagtail which was a BD lifer for Sayam! #520 for him!!)

Photos:
1) Black-headed Bunting
2) Purple Heron
3) Black Bittern
4) Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker
5) Yellow Bitterns

Attachments

• _DSC1045.jpg
    _DSC1045.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC1345.jpg
    _DSC1345.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC1509 (2).jpg
    _DSC1509 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • _DSC1317 (2).jpg
    _DSC1317 (2).jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSC1024.jpg
    _DSC1024.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 24
More photos:

6) Eastern Yellow Wagtail.
These are notoriously similar to Western yellow, but thankfully Sayam got a recording of it's call and we were able to confirm the ID with the help of experts.
Plus the yellow supercilium isn't right for any of the expected subspecies of western yellow, but is perfect for the expected taivana subspecies for eastern yellow.
7) the same Eastern Yellow Wagtail
8) a common juvenile Black Drongo
9) Asian Koel in flight
10) Peacock Pansy. One of the most common butterflies in Bangladesh, but also one of the most beautiful

Attachments

• _DSC1214(3).jpg
    _DSC1214(3).jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC1236.jpg
    _DSC1236.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 11
  • _DSC1298.jpg
    _DSC1298.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 6
  • _DSC1300.jpg
    _DSC1300.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 10
  • _DSC1324.jpg
    _DSC1324.jpg
    786.9 KB · Views: 15
Last ones:

11) a subadult Brahminy Kite
12) Great Egret taking off. Fun to catch the drops of water falling from it's feet

Attachments

• _DSC1374.jpg
    _DSC1374.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 9
  • _DSC1495.jpg
    _DSC1495.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 11
Really interesting to read about birding in Bangladesh. Thanks for sharing, and I must agree. There's no thrill that isn't better shared with a friend. I'm glad you had such a good day.

I agree! I thought I enjoyed the solitude of birding, but it turns out I really miss being in hides with fellow birders!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back