Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cheshire/Derbyshire Bogey Birds

Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 16:51   #1
Goldcrest55
Goldcrest55

Cheshire/Derbyshire Bogey Birds

Does anybody know any reliable sites in Cheshire or Derbyshire, (and at a push even Lancashire), where I could see Whinchat? I know it's not a fantastically rare bird in NW England, and I have seen them in the UK before, but not since 2004. It's become a bit of a bogey bird for me to be honest!
I have been to several sites recently that are supposed to have them and they do indeed have what appears to be the correct habitat, and at the correct time of year, but no Whinchats! Any advice would be appreciated.

Whilst we're on the subject of Bogey Birds, I have the same issues with Lesser (bloody!) Whitethroats, and Common Cuckoos if anyone can help! I hear many Cuckoos but have only ever seen flyovers, I'd love to see a perched bird!

Thanks.
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 17:43   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcrest55 View Post
Whilst we're on the subject of Bogey Birds, I have the same issues with Lesser (bloody!) Whitethroats, and Common Cuckoos if anyone can help! I hear many Cuckoos but have only ever seen flyovers, I'd love to see a perched bird!

Thanks.
Come down here next spring and we'll sort you out!

There you go.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527 (27)_Cuckoo.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	729577  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527 (28)_Cuckoo.JPG
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	729578  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527 (31)_Cuckoo.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	729579  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527 (34)_Cuckoo.JPG
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	729580  Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527 (35)_Cuckoo.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	729581  

Old Friday 12th June 2020, 14:18   #3
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Whinchat should be quite easy on autumn passage - try somewhere like Tatton Park any time from mid August up to mid September, anywhere with a large area of rough grass with a few tall herbs (thistles, mugwort, etc) or fenceposts. Most of them will be young birds, so don't expect bright plumage!
Old Tuesday 16th June 2020, 18:55   #4
Himalaya

Burton Marsh on the Dee Estuary is good for Whinchat. If you are in Stockport worth trying Dovestone's which is not that far from Oldham.

Lesser Whitethroats seem to occur in the hedgerows around Elton Reservoir in the Bury Radcliffe area. Carrington Moss is a good area for them. Stretford Tip also has had 3 singing recently ie yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcrest55 View Post
Does anybody know any reliable sites in Cheshire or Derbyshire, (and at a push even Lancashire), where I could see Whinchat? I know it's not a fantastically rare bird in NW England, and I have seen them in the UK before, but not since 2004. It's become a bit of a bogey bird for me to be honest!
I have been to several sites recently that are supposed to have them and they do indeed have what appears to be the correct habitat, and at the correct time of year, but no Whinchats! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: