Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Friday 18th January 2008, 21:17   #2951
Mick Sway

Wc Sparrow

21ST MARCH WOULD BE EVEN BETTER !
Please ?
Mick

BF Supporter 2012 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 12:21   #2952
kittykat23uk

Today at UEA- weather was pretty poor with it peeing down with rain this morning, Fleeting views of a kingfisher on the broad, loads of siskin and couple of redpoll around the broad, flock of bramblings, one or two marsh tits (well assumed they were marsh), couple of great spotted woodpeckers, one, possibly two nuthatches ion the feeders along with other more common tits and finches sadly no hawfinches. Didn't see any goosander but watched a brief mating dance from a pair of great crested grebes which was lovely. Hoping the weather improves for tomorrow. If so, might try for them again.
Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 12:24   #2953
Edward woodwood

East Norfolk this morning

Ross's Goose
2 Tundras
White-fronted Goose
and eight fresh-in Greylags that were surely wild birds, being extremely pale underneath, almost a buffish white.
and Steve Lister!

details on my website later.
Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 17:22   #2954
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Bit of stuff at Buckenham Marshes this afternoon including a water pipit:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/~e039/ilyabirding.htm#latest
Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 17:41   #2955
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Had an Iceland Gull west past Holme Golfcourse this morning at 9:52am. A nice find and although the day sort of fizzled out in predictable fashion, 12 Lapland Buntings (including 7 regularly returning to the same field) and 7 Twite meant the day was rounded of nicely!

For more info visit my blog.

Cheers,

Connor
Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 21:37   #2956
Penny Clarke

Didn't go out until late today, but still had a very good bird a Bittern coming into roost at 4.15pm!!!

Best Wishes Penny

(Year List 107)
Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 22:07   #2957
Richard Abr

Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Didn't go out until late today, but still had a very good bird a Bittern coming into roost at 4.15pm!!!

Best Wishes Penny

(Year List 107)
Penny
Are you able to tell us where you saw the Bittern?
Cheers
Richard
Old Saturday 19th January 2008, 22:26   #2958
Mike Feely

Good Omen - Great Day!

Had a cracking day in Norfolk today - first visit this year.

Arrived at Cley 0845 - WC Sparrow showing on the driveway as we arrived, managed to get decent views through the gate (crouching at the front of the crowd) for about 5 minutes before it dissapeared. At this point about half of the people present moved on and left about 15 of us waiting for it to show again. During the next twenty minutes or so, the odd Robin, Chaffinch, Dunnock & Greenfinch came down onto the drive to feed, accompanied by no less than 8 Blackbirds (including one really mean looking male!), but no Sparrow. A few minutes later it became apparent that it was showing in the brambles behind us, where it showed well for about the next 3/4 hour - mainly feeding around the bush with the nest in it.

What a smashing bird! Although it never really came out into the open, it was often in the top of the bush, allowing a really good look, and looked good it did, especially at 60x! Brilliant.

Had a chat to the chap with the collecting bucket (after giving my donation), who was saying that they were hoping to go for the Guiness record for a collection, and at that point thought they had raised about 2500 - great stuff, i hope you managed it.

We left the site about 10, moving on to Salthouse for the buntings which although quite flighty, gave excellent views. Only one Lapland Bunting present today, but a welcome year tick none the less; more striking was the really white snow Bunting amongst the flock, not seen one like this before. Also saw 2 RT Divers on the sea before moving on to Cley Visitor centre (old).

No sign of the Water Pipits, in fact no sign of any birds at all in the field, so a quick scan of the reserve added Shelduck & Avocet to the year list - nice bird for my 100th of the year!

From here went to Saxlingham to look for the Lesser Snow Goose which had been reported. This was birding made easy - from the corner overlooking the field, the goose stood out like a beacon! We then moved just around the corner to get a closer look at the geese, where we were told about the 3 Barnacles in the field too. At this point the news came though that the possible Slender-billed Gull at Sheringham was believed to be a hybrid - with what we wondered, three other birders who were there, offered Bittern as a suggestion!! (Hi if you're reading this & cheers for the Barnies).

After this we were going to try for the Twite reported earlier in the week at Brancaster Staithe on the way to Titchwell, but decided against it as we also wanted to get to Roydon and we knew time would be tight, so straight to Tichwell we went.

After a cuppa & sarnie (plus the usual Robin feeding out of your hand) we decided to quickly get some yearticks then move on to Roydon. There was a group of people along the path towards the visitor centre who were looking at the roosting Woodcock, following directions, we finally managed to see it asleep, quite deep in the undergrowth - took some finding, but after it was located, it was obvious, but there were some still struggling to see it (i hope you all got it!).

All the usual on the reserve, quickly picked out Black Brant in the field and very pleased to catch up with the wintering Spotted Redshank (saw it in December), and a lone Grey Plover. Also a very striking Ruff with a white head on the freshwater lagoon.

Not a great deal on the sea - a distand raft of Common Scoter, a single Eider & Goldeneye, and a couple of RT Divers. All the grebes I saw were Great-crested (no Red-necked as reported - at the same time we were there).

As it was now getting on, we moved on to Roydon Common, arriving at 1515. After plenty of scanning, we realised that we were probably too late for the Shrike so we waited for the Harriers to come in. Loads of Red-legged Partridges in the field with the bee-hives (i counted at least 10, but probably more) and we could hear a couple of Greys, but couldnt find them from our viewpoint.

By now the light was starting to go - whilst scanning for Harriers, i picked out a Merlin perched on a post - a welcome bonus - before two ringtails appeared, quatering above the heather for about 20 minutes before they went down. No sign of any males by this time.

As it was now raining quite heavily and it was getting quite dark we decided to call it a day.

Overall, a great day - 2 lifers (Sparrow & Snow Goose) and several year ticks. By far the commonest bird of the day though was Barn Owl!

Our first was on the A17 near Holbeach, in the dark. The second was in the field behind the Cley Village Hall car park. The Third in the field next to In Focus at Tictchwell and the Fourth quatering the reedbed on Titchwell reserve (accompanied by 2 Marsh Harriers!). I think this is the first time i've ever seen 4 Barn Owls in one day - they were certainly a good omen!

Anyway, an excellent day (as always) and i'll be back to do the same again a week on Monday - can't wait!!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Feely : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 18:56.
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 10:24   #2959
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

Coming down for a few days tomorrow,where's best for Lapland Bunting,Salthouse or Thornham?
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 10:37   #2960
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Pain View Post
Coming down for a few days tomorrow,where's best for Lapland Bunting,Salthouse or Thornham?
You'll get better views and it will be easier at Salthouse, but probably more birds at Thornham if you are prepared to put the time in (but mostly calling in flight. They're hard to see on the deck here...) Also probably more chance of dipping if you go to Thornham.

Connor

Last edited by Connor Rand : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 17:53.
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 10:52   #2961
Canarybirder
Oenanthe Birding Adventures

At least 1 Tundra Bean Goose in the flock of Pink-feet containing the Lesser Snow Goose between Field Dalling and Saxlingham yesterday for anyone with the patience!

Cheers
Chris
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 16:32   #2962
SueBryan

Good Views of Hawfinch at Lynford Arboretum today actually in the Arboretum part. Moving onto Santon Downham there were 5 Crossbills drinking out of a puddle just before the railwayline within a few feet of me. I cursed that I did not have my camera with me. At Welney the 3 Tundra Bean Geese were by a distant haystack viewable from the Visitor Centre. A flock of 20+ Corn Buntings were on wires near Ten Mile Bank.

Sue
PS My recent trip report to Ghana can be seen at:

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/ghana20072008.htm
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 16:52   #2963
J Moss

Thanks for that Chris. Will check it out tomorrow.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarybirder View Post
At least 1 Tundra Bean Goose in the flock of Pink-feet containing the Lesser Snow Goose between Field Dalling and Saxlingham yesterday for anyone with the patience!

Cheers
Chris
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 17:00   #2964
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBryan View Post
Great trip report, Sue - it's an area I'd like to visit in future.

David

(Visit my blog!)

Last edited by dbradnum : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 18:04.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 17:39   #2965
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Rather pleasent drive around North Norfolk today with birding chum produced some nice sightings, stopped off at Saxlingham to view the rather distant Snow Goose feeding with the Pinks etc ..one or two Barnies were supposedly present among the flock but we didn't manage to pick any out ..it was bluddy freezin up on that hill!!

A brief stop at the edgefield tip to view the gulls, the stinking fumes had us both wretching after 2 minutes so we left for Wells Harbour where we saw among others..

Golden Eye 5
Red Breasted Merganser (1 male)
Med Gulls 2

Later we walked out on the beach to watch a group of a dozen or so Common Seals putting on a show for families and walkers by, some of which went home very happy after procuring excellent close views through our spotting scopes ..free of charge of course

Later had views of five different Barn Owls, two while driving through the Egmere? area (one of which was being watched by a possible Nigel Blake? from the roadside verge!) plus another three together hunting on the Sculthorpe Moor reserve. We looked briefly but didn't get lucky with the Willows.

Last sighting was a Woodcock seen from the car while stuck in traffic along Sweetbria Marsh near Norwich!!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seals 031 (Custom).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	122329  Click image for larger version

Name:	seals 032 (Custom).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	122331  Click image for larger version

Name:	seals 035 (Custom).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	122332  Click image for larger version

Name:	seals 042 (Custom).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	122334  Click image for larger version

Name:	seals 054 (Custom).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	122335  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 18:20   #2966
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
You'll get better views and it will be easier at Salthouse, but probably more birds at Thornham if you are prepared to put the time in (but mostly calling in flight. They're hard to see on the deck here...) Also probably more chance of dipping if you go to Thornham.

Connor
Thanks Connor
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 18:21   #2967
Edward woodwood

East Norfolk today

3 Tundra Beans, and a couple of unusual birds that had us guessing for a while as to possible parentage.
2 Lapland Buntings,
9 Whoopers (thanks Steve!),
Pom Skua

6 Wapits yesterday (thanks again Steve)

and thanks to Ilya, I've managed to add a shoutbox to the diary page - so get those rumours and insults flying...

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 20:57.
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 20:50   #2968
Penny Clarke

Fantastic morning out today:

Started off at Tottenhill Gravel Pits, with lots of Golden Eye, but no smew.

On the Ten Mile Bank road I had 3 Corn Buntings sitting on wires and some Bewicks Swans distantly. Also 7 red legged partridges in field by road.

At Welney I saw 1 Scaup, right in front of main hide (can't get to others hides, path completely flooded) and also watched a young man wading in the water up to his neck almost! in front of the hide, wheelbarrow full of seed feeding the swans. Whooper swans, mute, pochard etc. Back on the viewing platform, next to cafe, I scanned around with scope to try and find the Tundra Bean Geese which were supposed to be here and I found them distantly, much to the delight of a group of birders also trying to find them - there were 3, 2 not showing very well and 1 showing quite well.

It was raining steadily now - the man at the desk told me someone had seen the Great White Egret 3 miles up the road by a railway bridge, so off I went to try and find it, but no joy and no sign of any other birders either, perhaps I got the wrong bridge!!! Just before I passed Welney Reserve Centre a barn owl came right across me!

Denver Sluice - Grey Wagtail, skylark and several cormorants.

Best Wishes Penny

(Year List 114)

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Sunday 20th January 2008 at 21:34.
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 20:54   #2969
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBryan View Post
At Welney the 3 Tundra Bean Geese were by a distant haystack viewable from the Visitor Centre. A flock of 20+ Corn Buntings were on wires near Ten Mile Bank.

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/ghana20072008.htm
Hi Sue

Must have just missed you!!!!!

See my post above.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 20:56   #2970
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Abr View Post
Penny
Are you able to tell us where you saw the Bittern?
Cheers
Richard
Really sorry Richard, I can't, as it is on a private site.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 20:58   #2971
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post
Rather pleasent drive around North Norfolk today with birding chum produced some nice sightings, stopped off at Saxlingham to view the rather distant Snow Goose feeding with the Pinks etc ..one or two Barnies were supposedly present among the flock but we didn't manage to pick any out ..it was bluddy freezin up on that hill!!

A brief stop at the edgefield tip to view the gulls, the stinking fumes had us both wretching after 2 minutes so we left for Wells Harbour where we saw among others..

Golden Eye 5
Red Breasted Merganser (1 male)
Med Gulls 2

Later we walked out on the beach to watch a group of a dozen or so Common Seals putting on a show for families and walkers by, some of which went home very happy after procuring excellent close views through our spotting scopes ..free of charge of course

Later had views of five different Barn Owls, two while driving through the Egmere? area (one of which was being watched by a possible Nigel Blake? from the roadside verge!) plus another three together hunting on the Sculthorpe Moor reserve. We looked briefly but didn't get lucky with the Willows.

Last sighting was a Woodcock seen from the car while stuck in traffic along Sweetbria Marsh near Norwich!!

Matt
Fantastic pictures Matt!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 21:31   #2972
Richard Abr

Fine

Quote:
Really sorry Richard, I can't, as it is on a private site.

Best Wishes Penny
That's fine Penny. I understand. Glad you had a good day out today.
Best Wishes
Richard
Old Sunday 20th January 2008, 21:54   #2973
Richard Abr

On a lighter theme

Did anyone watch "Kingdom" tonight on ITV? I enjoy it for the humour and the Norfolk scenes.
Anyhow for those who didn't see it there was a group of naturists who wanted to go starkus at Holme nature reserve, but the couple who lived in the Norfolk Wildlife Trust House strongly objected. There was a scene - a sight for sore eyes - showing the naturists in the car park of the Wildlife Trust.
Later in the programme it showed the naturists in the car park wearing only aprons and a compromise was reached that they could take them off when they got to the beach. Ah well it takes all sorts.
Presumably Holme reserves must have been closed for the period of the filming. Hate to think what would have happened if a mega rarity had turned up the day before filming was due to have started, and hundreds of twitchers turned up the following day!
Just goes to show what birders could be confronted with in the pursuit of their hobby. Some years ago I was birding on the beach at Theddlethorpe on the Lincolnshire coast when totally by chance I came across a group of naturists. Needless to say I kept a very safe distance away.
Cheers
Richard
Old Monday 21st January 2008, 06:49   #2974
SueBryan

Quote:
Hi Sue

Must have just missed you!!!!!

See my post above.

Best Wishes Penny
Hi Penny
It was me who waved to you from the white van as you were just getting back into your car by the level crossing at Ten Mile Bank. I like the new car !!!
About half a mile further down there were 20+ Corn Buntings on the wires with a few Goldfinches.
Have a good day
Sue
Old Monday 21st January 2008, 06:49   #2975
SueBryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post
Great trip report, Sue - it's an area I'd like to visit in future.
Thanks David
Sue
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: