Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 19:55   #3026
Edward woodwood

the shingle is being left as far as i am aware

the next spring tide / surge could be interesting

not sure about the wisdom of building that 'visitor' centre
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 20:26   #3027
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post

Errr... no, nor me. Surely madness, given how many other reserves could have benefited substantially from that type of money? And what was wrong with the old one? Terminal lack of panini- and latte-making machinery?

<sarcasm/>

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 20:35   #3028
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood View Post
the shingle is being left as far as i am aware

the next spring tide / surge could be interesting

Exactly my thinking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post
Errr... no, nor me. Surely madness, given how many other reserves could have benefited substantially from that type of money? And what was wrong with the old one? Terminal lack of panini- and latte-making machinery?

<sarcasm/>
This is virtually what I was saying the other week to some mates as we past by the Centre. I can't really see the sense in that building myself.

John
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 20:48   #3029
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradnum View Post

<sarcasm/>
In the grander scheme of things I agree - madness. All about where pots come from. My understanding is they got most of the cash from European Regional Development Fund, the East of England Development Agency and the the DTI Clear Skies Initiative. They're not really conservation funds - more sympathetic rural development funds. As someone who works in conservation, I know it often pays to apply for what you think you can get, rather than what you think actually needs doing unfortunately.

I think the centre itself will be safe for a while, being up on a hill. Just wonder about the road. Environment Agency tend to be quite good at protecting roads and stuff though.

Another interesting angle on it all though is that the Government is legally obliged to maintain the North Norfolk SPA in a favourable status - if they don't they can get done in the European courts and fined shed loads of money. I.e. if it can be demonstrated that sea-level rise will affect designated features of the SPA (i.e. waders & ducks), then EA has to use its compulsory purchase orders to buy other appropriate habitat and have it managed to compensate for loss.

Big project I’m hoping I’m about to embark on soon at BTO which should see major developments on this. Can’t say too much at the mo, except that it would probably be happening already if Natural England hadn’t had their end of year money frozen by Defra. It’s amazing what implications the cock-ups in HLS payments have, but watch this space….

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Thursday 24th January 2008 at 20:51.
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 21:05   #3030
dbradnum

Not surprised that there are a whole range of convoluted funding schemes behind this, so I guess we should take some comfort from the fact that the new centre will hopefully raise more money for the NWT, which can then be ploughed into reserves that aren't underwater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post

Another interesting angle on it all though is that the Government is legally obliged to maintain the North Norfolk SPA in a favourable status - if they don't they can get done in the European courts and fined shed loads of money. I.e. if it can be demonstrated that sea-level rise will affect designated features of the SPA (i.e. waders & ducks), then EA has to use its compulsory purchase orders to buy other appropriate habitat and have it managed to compensate for loss.

Big project Iím hoping Iím about to embark on soon at BTO which should see major developments on this. Canít say too much at the mo, except that it would probably be happening already if Natural England hadnít had their end of year money frozen by Defra. Itís amazing what implications the cock-ups in HLS payments have, but watch this spaceÖ.
And all of this is much more promising... fingers crossed!

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 21:34   #3031
Mark43

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Out on the bike today checking out the Barsham area that Mark mentioned for Tree Sparrows. 3 hours sadly didn't produce any. Couple of good Yellowhammer flocks, one with c5 Brambling knocking around in there. 100s of Chaffinches in the fields didn't produce anything else out of the ordinary. Couple of Buzzards, 2 Kestrels, 3 Golden Plovers, lots of Stock Doves and a close flying Barn Owl all added to a nice ride.

Headed down to my probable Long Eared Owl site at about 4:30. 1 Barn Owl swept past and settled on a fence post beside me as I walked down the path. Sat against a bank for half an hour or so, waiting for it to get dark, and at around 17:00 a Long Eared appeared above the horizon and fluttered about for a bit, before gliding out of view. Amazing! Little Owl buzzed over my head in the semi-dark and a Tawny Owl "ho-ho-hwooooo"d from nearby. Unbelievable! Owl fest!!!!

Jason

Sorry you didn't catch up with them.

I have seen them round the back of East Barsham Hall and the barn/house in West Barsham.....i'm sure you will find them before i get up there but i will try and get a multimap postion for the barn in February.

Last edited by Mark43 : Thursday 24th January 2008 at 22:14.
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 22:19   #3032
J Moss

Thanks Mark. I'll be back out tomorrow looking. I dont suppose you could describe the barn that you mean? Is it right on the edge of the road, or further out into the farmland? I came across several old barns, and there are a few farms set back, with private, no access roads leading to them.

Jason

Edit: will check the hall as well tomorrow.
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 22:56   #3033
Mark43

Quote:
Thanks Mark. I'll be back out tomorrow looking. I dont suppose you could describe the barn that you mean? Is it right on the edge of the road, or further out into the farmland? I came across several old barns, and there are a few farms set back, with private, no access roads leading to them.

Jason

Edit: will check the hall as well tomorrow.
As you go into East Barsham you will come to a church on the left and a turning just before it on the left.If you get to the White Horse Inn further along on the left you have gone 100 yards to far.

Anyway turn left at the Church and keep going down this lane....the fields on the right are good for Grey and RL Partridge btw.......at the junction turn right.This is where i can't remember where the road is.I think somewhere along here is a right hand turn with a converted barn behind some high hedges.The Sparrows hang about in the hedges either side of the road and on the owners roof.Sorry i can't be more specific but my memory is rubbish.
I can't picture it in my head but if i was in the car i could go straight there.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Thursday 24th January 2008, 23:14   #3034
J Moss

That helps a lot, thanks. I know exactly where you mean!

Jason
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 01:52   #3035
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Braydon is good at the moment, the tides are at a reasonable hour and the high river level has pushed everything in at high tide. I had pintail at 20yds today with good views of all the usual waders. A merlin was putting stuff up regularly, but it's a bugger to get on to - you can see the flocks go up in sucession left to right, but it's really tricky trying to spot that little missile in among them. Had 25 Whooper's fly over towards Caistor while I was there, which was unexpected.

Incidently the RSPB's running a boat trip from Yarmouth on Sunday 3rd Feb - don't know if there's any places left though. Booking is via the Strumpshaw office.
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 13:37   #3036
Norfolkbirder
Vizmigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat23uk View Post
Why? What else is about (I don't have a pager)? Got tomorrow off, so will probably head up to UEA to see if I can see the hawfinches (no luck so far). Does anyone know if they are still around or if the Goosanders are back (didn't see any last weekend). Also a friend from Bird forum coming at the weekend to twitch the sparrow if its is still at Cley. Is there anything else we should look for?

thanks

Jo.
Goosander at Sparham Pits last weekend - 3 drakes 2 redheads.
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 15:49   #3037
DJW
Turdus Philomelos

I will probably be coming to Norfolk this weekend and would love to see a bird which has so far eluded me - the Twite. I remember that Thornham Harbour used to be a reliable location and I was wondering if that is still the case or is there anywhere else I should be looking.

Regards

Dave
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 15:53   #3038
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
I will probably be coming to Norfolk this weekend and would love to see a bird which has so far eluded me - the Twite. I remember that Thornham Harbour used to be a reliable location and I was wondering if that is still the case or is there anywhere else I should be looking.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm sure that some of the locals will be able to give you the straight gen, but some pals and I did look for Twite at Thornham when we were up there a couple of weeks ago and we couldn't find any....

Good luck.... Ray
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 16:29   #3039
SueBryan

Quote:

Regards

Dave
They have been at Brancaster Harbour this year. (Although you could still see some if you are lucky if you walk the seabank betweem Thornham and Holme) they seem to like the puddle near the 90 degree bend by one of the gates.
Sue
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 17:10   #3040
kittykat23uk

Today at UEA

Was at UEA Campus at 8 am this morning hoping to find either those tricksie goosanders or hawfinches. A stroll around the broad revealed a fleeting glimpse of the kingfisher, but not much else, and then to my disappointment I found the UEA ringing group in the rabbit enclosure! Still, I managed to get a lovely view of a male bullfinch and a walk in the woods round the back of the enclosure also produced a nice redwing. Back round the other side of the broad I caught some reasonable shots of a flock of siskins feeding on the alder.

A few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601...7603681736458/
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 17:53   #3041
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBryan View Post
They have been at Brancaster Harbour this year. (Although you could still see some if you are lucky if you walk the seabank betweem Thornham and Holme) they seem to like the puddle near the 90 degree bend by one of the gates.
Sue
Yes, having been appantly absent for most of the winter a group of 7 or 8 are being seen occasionally below the seabank by the gate near the shap bend adjacent to the public footpath between Holme and Thornham. This is also right next to the favoured Lap Bunt field.

Connor
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 18:07   #3042
Penny Clarke

Does anyone know exactly where the hawfinches are at Lynford Aboretum at the moment, are they in the paddock in usual place or have people seen them in different spot please? Going this weekend. Going out for evening, will have a look on BF when I get home!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 18:49   #3043
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke View Post
Does anyone know exactly where the hawfinches are at Lynford Aboretum at the moment, are they in the paddock in usual place or have people seen them in different spot please? Going this weekend. Going out for evening, will have a look on BF when I get home!

Best Wishes Penny
They have been in the paddock as usual, numbers seem to be picking up nicely.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th January 2008, 18:53   #3044
Peter Dolton

Mostly seen in the big trees in the middle of the paddock but certainly not guaranteed. I visited 7 times over Christmas holidays and only saw them once. Apparantly there have been more frequent sightings lately and in larger numbers.
As regards other places where they get to, I have seen them disappearing away from the paddock roughly towards the area of the bridge that crosses the bottom(lower) bridge over the lake.
There are some suitable hornbeams inside the army training area and thus off limits to all but a very few but I could not find any there on one recent visit.
There have been quite large numbers of Siskins 130+ but very very few Crossbills or Willow Tits approx zero.
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 20:16   #3045
Dryocopus
Was Eagle before...still am in life!

Quote:

Regards

Dave
Well loath as I am to speak to a WBA man.......(see signature)

on the 13th Jan we were in West Norfolk and had a flock of 20 plus Twite on
Terrington Marsh (where the Richards Pipit was)....around the farm buildings further on from the 5 barred gates......but no one has reported them since...and I'd check as its a long muddy walk!
Gosh thats a long time ago now!

Back to Norfolk for my 3rd visit this year on Sunday...East Norfolk this time
talons crossed for Cranes and stuff! Raptors - which ever!
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 20:26   #3046
J Moss

Another day spent searching the Barshams for Tree Sparrow sadly didn't produce the goods. Shame, but I'll keep going with it as it's a good excuse for getting out on the bike. Some good birds too. Had a Green Sandpiper by a rain-caused pool in a field on the way there, at least 7 different Barn Owls all hunting around midday, 1 Little Owl flying from pirch to pirch (my first view of a pirched bird. Odd looking beast!) and several Kestrels, 6 Red Legged Partridges and 7 Grey Partridges.

Sat quietly by a hedge at my 'owling' site this evening and acheved 2 Long Eared Owls appearing from what seems to be their roost site. They flew alongside a hedgerow together and nipped through a gap and over a road with only a few feet between them. Also had another Little Owl over, 1 Woodcock and a couple of rather large Bats (Noctules?). Deer out in force in the fields once darkness fell.

Jason

Last edited by J Moss : Friday 25th January 2008 at 20:29.
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 20:53   #3047
J Moss

Also, one of the Barn Owls I saw today had a dark breast band. guttata crossed my mind, but I dont know enough about the variation in our own birds to really comment. Any thoughts?

Jason
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 21:09   #3048
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Quote:
Also, one of the Barn Owls I saw today had a dark breast band. guttata crossed my mind, but I dont know enough about the variation in our own birds to really comment. Any thoughts?

Jason

Mmmmm.... those LEOs sound good. There was a small roost not too far from here a few years back; just a small clump of bushes on some meadows near a river. Must go check it out again...

Re: the D-b Barn Owl, how does it compare to the one pictured here?

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 21:21   #3049
Edward woodwood

Grey Phal at the pipe dump this afternoon

11 Cranes on my journey to work, several pinks over our football match tonight in Yarmouth. Pinks have been vocal and mobile over the last few nights with the full moon. Fantastic sight and sound - especially from your bed!

Tim

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Friday 25th January 2008 at 22:25.
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 21:22   #3050
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

On the pager this afternoon Dark-breasted Barn Owl. W.of Dereham, late a/noon by A47 at Scarning Dale.

Connor
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: