Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Norfolk birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 20:12   #3351
teamsaint

too dark for an SEO Jason, i guess another one that got away! I could see a couple of birders at various intervals along the coast path at Warham, so I guess one of them was you.

we saw 110 species, but it was certainly quality over quantity. species missed include egyptian goose!!, all woodpeckers, coal tit!!, nuthatch, treecreeper, redwing, mistle thrush and siskin.

Last edited by teamsaint : Monday 18th February 2008 at 20:18.
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 20:25   #3352
J Moss

2 hours spent at Salthouse this morning/afternoon failed to produce the probable Pipit species again. Plenty of room for it to hide away though, so I'll keep looking when I can (be bothered :P). The sea, in between fog banks, produced 30+ RTDs, 3 full-on summer plumaged Cormorants passed and 6 Eiders (4 males). The Cormorants possessed a hell of a lot of white all over the head, and partly down the neck. I didn't note a smaller size to that of a standard Cormorant, but they looked ok for sinensis.

The Snow Bunts were ranging a lot further that they have been, and in smaller groups. Still coming to seed though, with at least 16 seen. 2 Lapland Buntings also made an apperance, calling overhead, then landing briefly on the shingle ridge before stopping on the mud (right behind a photographer facing the other way. Dont think he saw them in the end!), and then flying east.

Jason
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 20:40   #3353
David Norgate

Interesting your comment about the size of LeO Jason, they average slightly larger in wing span than Barn and I always think darker birds look larger than whiter birds, but then again I hardly ever see them hunting and never in the company of a Barn Owl.

teamsaint, great trip report, its good to see someone enjoying many of the different birds we often take for granted in Norfolk, hopefully it won't be long before you return!

David

Last edited by David Norgate : Monday 18th February 2008 at 20:56.
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 21:04   #3354
Pedley Birder

I am Norfolk this weekend and today I saw the White-Crowned Sparrow, a Lesser White-Fronted Goose from the A149 and the Salthouse Snow Buntings. I am thinking about going to Chosely after going to Titchwell tomorrow but im not sure how to get there and where to park so any info is gratefully appreciated.
BOU:208 Squacco HeronUK400:215 Squacco HeronBOU 2011:108 Squacco HeronHighlights: Ring-Necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Night Heron, White-Crowned Sparrow
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 21:06   #3355
J Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralchill View Post
Interesting your comment about the size of LeO Jason, they average slightly larger in wing span than Barn and I always think darker birds look larger than whiter birds, but then again I hardly ever see them hunting and never in the company of a Barn Owl.

David

Its more the long slender wings that excentuate the smaller body of LEO for me, making them appear smaller and more delicate overall. Just my impression though. I was amazed by how delicate they are when I had my first sighting. The shape of a Barn Owl strikes me as much stockier in comparison.

Jason
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 21:07   #3356
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsaint View Post
this morning we went out onto thornham point to look for the lapland buntings because i had only heard '7 lapland buntings at thornham'. tom
Sorry for any confusion anyone has experienced here, I should make it clear that the Lap Bunts are being seen between Thornham and Holme along the coastal path in the stubble field, so the best place to park is Thornham harbour.

Glad you had a good trip Tom, some very good species there and good to see you had the LTDs at Holme...

Cheers,

Connor
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 21:12   #3357
J Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Its more the long slender wings that excentuate the smaller body of LEO for me, making them appear smaller and more delicate overall. Just my impression though. I was amazed by how delicate they are when I had my first sighting. The shape of a Barn Owl strikes me as much stockier in comparison.

Jason

So, looking back at what I wrote in the other post, I should have said that they APPEAR smaller, and not they ARE much smaller than Barn Owl. Thats what I meant, anyway...

Jason
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 21:44   #3358
Dog

Took my dad to Norfolk on Friday, but failed to find any Twite, whats happened to those flocks I used to see back in the 80's like at Morston Key.

Mike.
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 22:02   #3359
Paul Eele

After nearly 6 years in Norfolk I finally caught up with the near-mythical lesser spotted woodpecker at Holkham this morning!
As the weather was set fair I decided to give it a few hours in the hope of a sighting. Got to site at 9am, probably too early with the cold morning, and there seemed to be very little activity so I decide to count the wildfowl and check the gulls on the lake while the frost lifted. 4 (2 adS, 1 adW, 1 2ndW) med gulls and 110 shoveler were the highlights.
Walking back to the trees I noticed 3 birders standing in the trees looking into the tops, I wandered over and they told me they had just had a lesser spot but is had dissapeared! 15 mins later we relocated it and then managed to watch a cracking male for half an hour including 5 mins of preening in the sun! Having not seen one for about 10 years I hadn't realised how much time they spent going backwards down the branches while feeding!

With the recent cold weather (-9 last night) I have had good numbers of bramblings in my garden including a flock of 28 this morning including some very smart males.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bramblings1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	126779  Click image for larger version

Name:	brambling2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	126781  
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 22:17   #3360
Mark43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedley Birder View Post
I am Norfolk this weekend and today I saw the White-Crowned Sparrow, a Lesser White-Fronted Goose from the A149 and the Salthouse Snow Buntings. I am thinking about going to Chosely after going to Titchwell tomorrow but im not sure how to get there and where to park so any info is gratefully appreciated.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...5750&ay=342120

http://www.burhinus.co.uk/Chosely%20Barns.htm

That should help you find it.

Good luck
Old Monday 18th February 2008, 22:37   #3361
J Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Took my dad to Norfolk on Friday, but failed to find any Twite, whats happened to those flocks I used to see back in the 80's like at Morston Key.

Mike.

There were around 30ish knocking around Morstin Quay earlier this winter, and also around the Blakeney area. Hasn't seemed like a bad year... Anyone else had much luck with the species this winter? Thornham hasn't been as reliable as in previous years, by the sounds of it, but I've had luck elsewhere.
Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 00:35   #3362
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Anyone familiar with the Catfield Fen reserve?

Had a walk around the area this afternoon, couldn't see much in the heavy fog but we were reeling off likely species...looks to be a great spot for warblers especialy as well as other broadland target species, what really impressed us was how seemingly wild the area was with no heavy reedbed management etc ~ lots of suitable scrub for a wide variaty of birds throughout the whole year. We did manage to hear Bearded Tits, Water Rail, Cettis Warbler and a very brief view of a male Marsh Harrier....unintentionally
walked beyond the last view point of the area by middle marsh drainage mill and ended up by Barton Broad!!!

Looks to be a bit of a backwater and possibly underwatched? so for anyone interested more information of the reserve can be found on the link below...

http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/catfield.html

Confusingly there seems to be another Catfield fen? or common in the area which we also visited, two Siskin, fly over Redpoll, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit and three Kingfisher were the only notable sightings...

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cobweb 038 (Custom).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	126799  Click image for larger version

Name:	cobweb 039 (Custom).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	126800  Click image for larger version

Name:	cobweb 041 (Custom).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	126801  Click image for larger version

Name:	cobweb 042 (Custom).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	126803  Click image for larger version

Name:	cobweb 055 (Custom).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	126804  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 15:16   #3363
Songkhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Glad you had sucess at Holme! Were the LTDs of Gore Point? 7+ Lap Bunts still present today in the same stubble field at Thornham.

Dad had a female Lesser-spotted Woodpecker early morning today in the Brecks...

Connor

LTDs were just to West of Gore Point, at least 1 male flew in from the east, there were about 23 males and imms and all the females were in a separate flock of 11 off the golf course , they eyed each other up for a while then all got together and flew off west. You Holme birders a luck lot to have such great birds.
Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 17:48   #3364
J Moss

Had a Bittern this afternoon whilst working, filling in muddy puddles with rubble! It flew in and landed in the next field along from us, about 10 meters away. I had my back to it, so didn't catch it on the deck, but Eddie called "flippin' Bittern!" and I watched it as it flew off to another field out of view. Shame Eddie got so excited, as I dont think it would have realised we were there. It heared him, ruffled up its neck feathers and scarpered. Fab bird to be surprised by.

That plus a singing Cettis have the year list up to 136.

Jason

Last edited by J Moss : Tuesday 19th February 2008 at 18:05.
Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 17:55   #3365
Mark43

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post

Had a walk around the area this afternoon, couldn't see much in the heavy fog but we were reeling off likely species...looks to be a great spot for warblers especialy as well as other broadland target species, what really impressed us was how seemingly wild the area was with no heavy reedbed management etc ~ lots of suitable scrub for a wide variaty of birds throughout the whole year. We did manage to hear Bearded Tits, Water Rail, Cettis Warbler and a very brief view of a male Marsh Harrier....unintentionally
walked beyond the last view point of the area by middle marsh drainage mill and ended up by Barton Broad!!!

Looks to be a bit of a backwater and possibly underwatched? so for anyone interested more information of the reserve can be found on the link below...

http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/catfield.html

Confusingly there seems to be another Catfield fen? or common in the area which we also visited, two Siskin, fly over Redpoll, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit and three Kingfisher were the only notable sightings...

Matt
Looks like a great place Matt........get down there and get watching in......you never know.
Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 18:39   #3366
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

I see there has been a report of a possibel female lesser scaup at Thompson water - does anyone know what the access is like there? I'm tempted to pop over and check it in the moring.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 19:36   #3367
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Can anyone supply a map/directions to Thompson Water please.

Many thanks,

Connor
Old Tuesday 19th February 2008, 19:50   #3368
Mark43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Can anyone supply a map/directions to Thompson Water please.

Many thanks,

Connor

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...1500&ay=294900
Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 07:10   #3369
David Norgate

Just had a call saying the possible Lesser Scaup is still at Thomson Water
Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 08:32   #3370
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralchill View Post
Just had a call saying the possible Lesser Scaup is still at Thomson Water
do you know what the access is like, I'm thinking of giving it a punt but don't know how easy it will be with the pushchair.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 10:07   #3371
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post

Matt
yep. As our web page states, the reserve proper isn't open to the public except on one day a year, when we ferry people round in a boat. (this year it's on 15th June). This is because quite a bit of what you're seeing isn't ground but "hover" - floating vegitation over water. (And there's holes in it!- we're not kidding about the danger). Most of the reserve is approximately one inch above the water, making it amazingly easy to just walk into a dyke. The rond (a raised bank marked on the map) is a public footpath though, and quite safe and allows you to look over the reserve. (Technically the rond is owned by the local council, it's not part of the reserve)

We are clearing some scrub, but just enough to stop it taking over. We also manage the reed, but on an extended cutting cycle to benefit swallowtails and fen plants - rather than the shorter rotation that would favour birds. The birds do alright though - all the species you mention are there, and a few more as well. As you say a bit of wilderness - somewhere for the wildlife rather than the visitor, though we are very happy for people to walk the rond.

We have a working party on the 8th march, so if anyone would like to get their hands dirty and get into the reserve proper, let me know. Details here http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/events.html
Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 10:13   #3372
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
do you know what the access is like, I'm thinking of giving it a punt but don't know how easy it will be with the pushchair.
When I was last there two years ago it was fine, the railway line is cinder - a few pot holes but nothing too bad, and there was faily wide footpaths around the side of the water.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 12:24   #3373
ChrisBish

Latest on the possible Lesser Scaup is that it flew off at 7am and no further sign by 9.30.

I'd be interested to hear more about this potential first for Norfolk! (assuming I haven't overlooked any other records!!!)

Chris
Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 12:35   #3374
Peter Dolton

Access to Thompson Water is from the south-west side of Thompson village, then take bumpy track -drivable with care. This then leads to a straight metalled road and then to the edge of the Army training area, turn south which is Peddars Way down another bumpy track for 200yards. Entrance to TW is on left with small area for parking. Walk up on obvious path to view water
Old Wednesday 20th February 2008, 13:38   #3375
matt green
Norfolkman gone walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarassedDad View Post
We are clearing some scrub, but just enough to stop it taking over. We also manage the reed, but on an extended cutting cycle to benefit swallowtails and fen plants - rather than the shorter rotation that would favour birds. The birds do alright though - all the species you mention are there, and a few more as well. As you say a bit of wilderness - somewhere for the wildlife rather than the visitor, though we are very happy for people to walk the rond.

We have a working party on the 8th march, so if anyone would like to get their hands dirty and get into the reserve proper, let me know. Details here http://norfolk-butterflies.org.uk/events.html
Thanks for that additional info, HarassedDad!!

Very interesting as neither of us had been to the area before, we will be going back around spring for warblers/migrants etc ~ will also be nice to view the reserve as a whole rather than only the 20 feet visibility we had on the day!!!

Matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: