• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Ring ouzels at Titchwell

It was pretty amazing with all the ouzels around yesterday. The 40 birds through in 30 mins included flocks of 7, 1 (if you can call 1 a flock!) and 32!! Also through were reasonable numbers of hirundines and a single yellow wag.

Tree sparrow in the carpark this morning, only my 4th Titchwell record, and a singing lesser whitethroat which seems early to me. Not much sign of migration although 5 redpolls west was nice.

Paul

Managed to steal a couple of hours along the cliffs between Cart Gap and Happisburgh early this morning but not too much happening. Finch passage was best described as less than a trickle but I did record 1st 2 Swallows and there were about 25 Sand Martins back at the colony. The Ring Ouzel was still present in his favourite garden too.

An interesting Norfolk/Suffolk bird article in yesterdays EDP (hopefully) readable here...

http://new.edp24.co.uk/search/story...9:38:17:807&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=search

James

The pleasures of migration

Hi Penny,

Just back from Oman, great to see a really well written report of someone thoroughly enjoying some "proper" birding, rather than "pager hopping". Holme can be brill in the spring for the kind of day you had, and I will certainly be hoping to connect with a few of these days. It's also worth getting up early and standing for the first 2 hours of light at Gore Pt or Hunstanton lighthouse (the latter usually provides more birds, but Gore Pt sometimes provides the less expected).

Hopefully I will make it up to the coast over the weekend, me & Pete actaully had a Wheatear nr North Pickenham whilst driving back from Heathrow!! This wet the appetite, along with Swallow on the way to work this am!

Hope to see you out & about come the weekend.

ATB CHris

Had a good day at Holme today with 12 Ring Ouzels (9 males and 3 females), 1 reeling Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Yellow Wagtails west, 5 Wheatears (3 males and 2 females), 1 Hobby, 2 Sandwich Terns, 1 White Wagtail and 1 Tree Pipit being the best birds.

Connor

1 Little Stint at Salthouse this morning. Also at Titchwell; 1 Red Kite (my 1st), 2 Whimbrel, 2 near summer plumaged Spotted Redshanks, 2 summer Black tailed Godwits, Lesser Whitethroat, Chiffchaffs and Blackcap singing in the car park and Marsh Harriers displaying.

Brilliant.

Jason

Oman

Connor Rand said:
What sort of stuff did you have in Oman Chris?

Connor

Lots of really good stuff!! I'll let you know once I have posted it all up on the web, hopefully there will be some grippin' shots of Red-billed Tropicbird, just to wet your appetite.

Hope to bump into you at the weekend, Connor.

Ta C

I think I'm correct in assuming that most birder's, like myself are very appreciative of tasty wholesome grub that is good value (not always to be found on many bird reserves, even those WITH a cafe!!) particularly if you been up since dawn and skipped breakfast! So I just wanted to let ya'll know about a great 'burger van' (for want of a better description!) on the A148 on the west side of Hillingdon. Called 'Barney's', its in the layby on the King Lynn bound side of the road and would be convienient for those coming into the county from the west or those birding north west Norfolk. A Jumbo Hotdog for £1.75 can easily feed 2 people (or fill up a hungry Horice like me!) containing four halves prime Lincolnshire sausages in a crusty half of bagette! Luckily I don't do this trip to often, otherwise I may well add a few stone pretty quick! I have visited a few eaterys whilst out birding have generally left a little disappointed and in most cases still hungry but this one I would recomend to all (BTW I don't think they are open on a Saturday) Just like to add that I saw a Merlin here in Aylmerton before my Jumbo Hotdog this morning (for the forum purists!), but where are all the migrant Marsh Harriers!?

Kl Chris, cant wait to see those tropicbird pictures! 8 Ring Ouzels (3 females and 5 males) and 3 Wheatears Heacham South beach till 7:50 pm at least.

Which way was the kite going at Titchwell Jason?

Cheers, Connor

Norfolkbirder said:
Hi Penny,

Just back from Oman, great to see a really well written report of someone thoroughly enjoying some "proper" birding, rather than "pager hopping". Holme can be brill in the spring for the kind of day you had, and I will certainly be hoping to connect with a few of these days. It's also worth getting up early and standing for the first 2 hours of light at Gore Pt or Hunstanton lighthouse (the latter usually provides more birds, but Gore Pt sometimes provides the less expected).

Hopefully I will make it up to the coast over the weekend, me & Pete actaully had a Wheatear nr North Pickenham whilst driving back from Heathrow!! This wet the appetite, along with Swallow on the way to work this am!

Hope to see you out & about come the weekend.

ATB CHris
Ahhhhhh, wondered when you were back!

Thank you (re: my reports).

Hope you had a brilliant time, looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Have been on holiday this week, its been great ;) , yesterday was the best day so far though. Not good winds/forecast for the coast in the next few days though, I hope they get it wrong! Will be birding/twitching up other end of coast tomorrow and at Holme on Saturday, see you then maybe.

Was doing jobs today at home, but went to King's Lynn Cemetery at 6pm and saw a pair of green woodpeckers, pair of jays in courtship, 3 robins, lots of blackbirds, 1 blue tit, 1 mistle thrush, goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, starlings, 2 long tailed tits and a magpie. Now you are probably asking why the cemetery - well because I do pop in there occasionally because a non-birding friend of my sisters saw a hoopoe in there 15th April last year!!!!!! So it could be the next 'Yarmouth Cemetery'!!!!! You never know!

See you the weekend.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Connor Rand said:
Had a good day at Holme today with 12 Ring Ouzels (9 males and 3 females), 1 reeling Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Yellow Wagtails west, 5 Wheatears (3 males and 2 females), 1 Hobby, 2 Sandwich Terns, 1 White Wagtail and 1 Tree Pipit being the best birds.

Connor
Hi Connor

Glad you had a good day, you beat me on Ring Ouzels!!!!!! My 5 wheatears were 3 males and 2 females, probably the same ones. Hobby was nice!

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Not completely certain. It was heading west when I lost track of it, but I didn't watch it into the distance or anything.

Jason

Connor Rand said:
Kl Chris, cant wait to see those tropicbird pictures! 8 Ring Ouzels (3 females and 5 males) and 3 Wheatears Heacham South beach till 7:50 pm at least.

Cheers, Connor

Raptor Reveller said:
...but where are all the migrant Marsh Harriers!?

I saw an imm. bird circling to the north of Stalham on Saturday morning; close to broadland I know but may well have been a migrant. This has been the only likely migrant one I've seen this spring as yet. I suspect Aylmerton is better placed though to get them in higher numbers...

James

Hi Conor

The kite drifted in from the SW over the carpark at about 13:15 and was over the reedbed with the 2 local pairs of marsh harriers for 15-20 mins before drifting off east towards Brancaster. This is now the 3rd time I have seen a/this kite over the reserve this week!

On the pagers it said that there was one still in the Snettisham area in the afternoon - 2 birds in the area?

Thought there might be some migrants dropped in this morning by the fog but no such luck!

Paul

Some spare time this morning between a city visit and work. Whitlingham CP had Willow Warbler, Chiff and Cettis singing and a familiar 'buzzing' drew my attention to 4 House Martins passing through. Blackcap and Willow Warbler singing from near the old abbey at Carrow...

James

Kl, well done on the Kite Paul, I had one at Holme recently but was getting very frustarted at Holme, when both the Red Kite and the 6 Cranes failed to appear overhead. Never mind, all those Ring Ouzels made up for it. Great birds...

Connor

Another wander down the river with the dogs. 1 Grey Wagtail, which is a new one for me at this site, a pair of singing Willow Tits, 1 Swallow (no sign of the House Martins from last time), Blackcap, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers singing, pair of Kestrels dog fighting, two groups of L T Tits and endless numbers of Great and Blue Tits, Chaff, Green and Goldfinches and Woodies.

Jason

Also,in hindsight, the Whitethroat that I heard and glimpsed last time was more likely a Lesser Whitethroat,having listened the song on a cd, and also the apparent influx lately. Bloody summer warblers! I swear I knew most of their songs last summer, but I've completely forgotten them now.

J Moss said:
Bloody summer warblers! I swear I knew most of their songs last summer, but I've completely forgotten them now.

haha..

Thats happens with me every year, sedge and reed wablers are the worse!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back