Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Its a mystery

Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 15:38   #1
Angelface

Its a mystery

Since coming back from holiday, two weeks ago now, I have not seen any of my chaffinches, blue tits, coal tits and great tits apart from one that looks very tatty and a paler shade than normal. The blackbirds are still around and I have loads of young sparrows more than I have seen for some years now, which is great. What on earth has happened as I have these birds usually all year round. It is really strange not to see or hear them. I know we have had unusually cold and wet weather but surely it could not have wiped out the adults. They were all here when I went away, I come back one week later and all of them gone. I am totally baffled.
Old Wednesday 31st May 2006, 22:26   #2
Judo

Hi Chrissie,
Perhaps their eggs have hatched and they are busy gathering food for their chicks elsewhere? Just a suggestion, but it's what I always think if 'my' Blue, Great & Coal Tits seem to disappear. If they have to go finding caterpillars and suchlike, they might not come to our gardens quite so frequently. I too have just a couple of Blue Tits & they are decidedly bedraggled and 1 Coal Tit with no sign of the Great Tits.
I'm sure they'll be back for you (& me) soon, hope so anyway.
All the Best, Judo.

"A light broke in upon my brain, It was the carol of a bird, It ceased,and then it came again, The sweetest song ear ever heard."

Lord Byron
Old Thursday 1st June 2006, 08:18   #3
Ruth Daniel

Hi Chrissie & Judo,
I thinks it's just a pure coincidence that your birds have "disappeared" just as you returned from your hols as this week has suddenly gone quiet here too!
The nesting birds have flown,my feeders aren't being visited half as much as a few weeks ago??
Maybe a certain type of natural food has suddenly become available??? ie;caterpillar??
The only bird I'm seeing more of is the Goldies which I'm thrilled about!!!
Fingers crossed but I'm sure "normal" service will soon resume!!
Best wishes,
Old Thursday 1st June 2006, 16:32   #4
Angelface

Thanks Judo and Ruth for your replies, you have both made me feel a lot better knowing that yours have suddenly disappeared as well. These little birds brighten our days and when they are not there the garden feels so strange. I am happy to say that I have still had the occasional visit from a pair of Goldies that started coming quite recently, so I was very pleaed that they are still around and last night had a visit from a Nuthatch which I haven't had for a while so that was nice.
Best wishes to you both,
Old Thursday 1st June 2006, 19:24   #5
Renee Redstart

Hello Chrissie. My time period is different, but I experienced a similar thing when I returned after 2 weeks away at Easter time. The whole pattern of life in the garden had changed. The Blackcaps had gone, the Blackbirds were reduced in number and other small birds were fewer too. Then the big birds seemed to take over as far as numbers of regulars were concerned. It still hasn't returned to normal as far as Goldfinches are concerned. And I couldn't put it down to the birds not being fed during my absence because they were. Funny things birds!

"Though you drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she will still find her way back."

Horace
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: