• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My First Day Out with Zoom H1 (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
Here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I3avs9bK1HK8i4I3hnGuL1IqdeZ_QeUw?usp=sharing) are my first recordings with the Zoom H1 and its internal mics. These are all unedited. No windmuff was used (will get one soon). I accidentally deleted the first Turtle Dove recording due to the annoying auto play but luckily got a better one later! Last recording is my best one and is of a Nightjar. 10 is the Turtle Dove recording (quite quiet). There are also a Turtle Dove, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Skylark (I think I didn't delete it) and a Dunnock call (I think).

P.S - I don't normally hear this many birds but one site got me Turtle Dove and Nightjar!

Last edited:
Here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I3avs9bK1HK8i4I3hnGuL1IqdeZ_QeUw?usp=sharing) are my first recordings with the Zoom H1 and its internal mics. These are all unedited. No windmuff was used (will get one soon). I accidentally deleted the first Turtle Dove recording due to the annoying auto play but luckily got a better one later! Last recording is my best one and is of a Nightjar. 10 is the Turtle Dove recording (quite quiet). There are also a Turtle Dove, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Skylark (I think I didn't delete it) and a Dunnock call (I think).

P.S - I don't normally hear this many birds but one site got me Turtle Dove and Nightjar!

Sounds good

I have a ZOOM as well, the windmuff coming with the recorder was nothing. But I bought a "cat skin" on line. A muff bag or a fur bag online. This was for ZOOM. Just put it over the mics and the recordings was much better regarding wind etc.

I like my ZOOM but I don´t like that I have to put in date and time every time I change batteries and I forget to update the date every time

Have you started to upload to xeno-canto yet?

And I love to make the sound recordings. Something I really could not understand when I started bird watching a little while ago.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Thanks for your interest Aladdin. I also got a wind muff a few weeks ago but have not had time to test it yet. I also do find the the date and time thing annoying - all it needs is an RTC (real time clock) which would cost just a few quid to add. I am starting to like bird recording as well and am waiting for spring to go to my local woodland and record the dawn chorus. I had not registered to Xeno Canto but have done just now. I was also planning on making an overnight recorder but if I did it would probably be a DIY one.

Thanks,
Louis P

Thanks for your interest Aladdin. I also got a wind muff a few weeks ago but have not had time to test it yet. I also do find the the date and time thing annoying - all it needs is an RTC (real time clock) which would cost just a few quid to add. I am starting to like bird recording as well and am waiting for spring to go to my local woodland and record the dawn chorus. I had not registered to Xeno Canto but have done just now. I was also planning on making an overnight recorder but if I did it would probably be a DIY one.

Thanks,
Louis P

Cheers

This Real Time Clock, what is that? I searched the internet for a Real Time Clock for my ZOOM but it came up with nothing

Is this something that is easy to add?

Kind regards
Aladdin

Sorry I forgot this is a bird forum not an electronics forum (which I spend lots of my time on). A Real Time Clock is basically a little chip which would mean you would only have to set the time once. They are very accurate and run from a small coin cell battery which lasts years. Unfortunately, it is not easy to add (don't even know if it is possible) but the makers of the Zoom H1 could of easily placed one in the original design. Maybe they could feature in a new version of the Zoom H1.

Kind regards,
Louis

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back