• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

Tammie,

Not as daft as me, I once said to someone "bird's don't fly at night" you can imagine the look I got and the person I was talking to wasn't even interested in birds. Wished the ground had opened up and swallowed me.

Must have a look at your online albums soon, to check if you have posted any new pictures since I last looked.

Ann Chaplin

Today, we had. Blackbird-6 males, 3 females. Greenfinches-chaffinches. Blue tits, collared-Doves, Dunnocks, Robin, starlings, housesparrows, 1 wren. Lots of song early AM.

Slow day today,
1 sharp-shinned Hawk
30 House Sparrows
12 House Finches
3 Lesser Goldfinch
30 Inca Dove
12 Mourning Dove
12 Rock Pigeons (2 of which have figured out how to eat out of the tube feeders!)
2 Curved-billed Thrashers
1 Cactus wren
2 Aberts Towhee
2 Northern Mockingbirds
1 White crown sparrow

Hoping to see the Peach-faced Lovebird again, he/she hasn't been back in a few weeks, I am keeping my fingers crossed the hawk didn't have her for lunch.....

Cheers!
Ellen

My first posting in this section and I'm jealous!

My only visitors on a daily basis are a male and female blackbird and one wren. Now tell me where I'm going wrong....I have the same feeders, food, similar shrubs etc to my adjoining neighbours with the shrubs being in the same situe as the neighbours, yet they get all the finches, blue and great tits and I get my blackbirds....not that I don't love seeing them and hearing them every morning/evening...the only thing I am "one up-on" with the neighbour is that I have one cat and she has three and mine is lazy ;) and is never near the feeders...

As I am moving soon, I hope to be seeing more. Last year I lived in a 11 square mile parkland in Shrewsbury, Shrops and had loads of different birds...I so miss that :(

Hi CJ. Are you feeding the same as your neighbours? Try sunflower hearts, the birds (all of them) love the stuff.

Having said that, if you are moving soon, it's probably best not to start the birds on a new feeding regime, just in case the next occupants don't bother; it's just as well your neighbour feeds the birds. At least you know they'll still be fed.

Had 2 kites and a buzzard just now above the garden. Lots of voles popping their heads up, female and male pheasants, and one female muntjac.

visitors to our garden today are 2 robins, bullfinch, 2 coal tits, 2 blue tits, blackbird, wren, 2 jays, 3 collared doves, 3 magpies. Most having a look at the recently installed bird table (no sign of the squirrels yet but word will soon get round).

Goldfinches, House finches, cardinals, tufted-titmice, white-breasted nuthatch, 3 downies, mourning doves, 3 juncos, 7 blue jays, 25 or so house sparrows, and a grey squirrel, so far!

Today ive had in my garden
Blackbird
House Sparrow 30+ (had 100+ Visit in one day in December)
Collared Dove 4
Dunnock/Hedge accentor 2
Blue Tit 3
Starlings

And 2 CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I've had my usual millions of Blue Tits whizzing around as well as Great & Coal Tits, Blackbird, Robin,House Sparrow, Greenfinch,Dunnock and two male Yellowhammers! Oh, and the usual flocks of BHG, Rook, Jackdaw and Buzzard (just one, not a flock LOL).
Usually have two Great Spotted Woodpeckers too but haven't seen them for a few days now.

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Today I've had my usual millions of Blue Tits whizzing around as well as Great & Coal Tits, Blackbird, Robin,House Sparrow, Greenfinch,Dunnock and two male Yellowhammers! Oh, and the usual flocks of BHG, Rook, Jackdaw and Buzzard (just one, not a flock LOL).
Usually have two Great Spotted Woodpeckers too but haven't seen them for a few days now.

GILL

I am so jealous of your milllion Blue Tits. :clap:
I have 4.
1Great Tit
Coal Tits
Blackbirds
1 Robin
A Million House Sparrows Ha ha
Even more Starlings o:)
Greenfinches
Chaffinches
Wrens
Dunnocks
Magpies
I'm also jealous of your Woodpeckers
No Sparrow-Hawk today
OOPs .... I forgot the Collared Doves
and a pair of Wood -Pigeons

3 cats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frog:

Last edited:
LOL Well, perhaps I DID over-exaggerate a teensy bit! It just SEEMS like there are loads of them as they are SO active at the moment! I'll often see up to three/four at any one time on the nut holder!

GILL

littlestintboy said:
Today ive had in my garden
Blackbird
House Sparrow 30+ (had 100+ Visit in one day in December)
Collared Dove 4
Dunnock/Hedge accentor 2
Blue Tit 3
Starlings

And 2 CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eat: Hi i'm a friend of crazy birder and i think your name is very inventive! :bounce:

Gill Osborne said:
LOL Well, perhaps I DID over-exaggerate a teensy bit! It just SEEMS like there are loads of them as they are SO active at the moment! I'll often see up to three/four at any one time on the nut holder!

GILL
I feel better now Gill.I am no longer a deep shade of green.Lime -perhaps.
Mind you , I wasn't exaggerating about the starlings and sparrows o:)

We do get a fair few House Sparrows up here as I live right next door to a farm but two species which I rarely see here, but which ARE down in Branton Village at the bottom of the hill (about a mile and a half away) are Collared Doves and Starlings...it's really weird! You would think that they WOULD be up here but I've yet to record the dove!

GILL

We also live real close to a farm in a green belt area (semi rural) The doves have always come in and the starlings descend like vultures.They grasp what they can - bathe and take off just as fast. ha ha.The most Doves we had come in were 29.
I am pleased with the sparrows as they went down in number a few years ago but they are back o:)

Yes, it IS great to have the Sparrows in such large numbers...though when I lived in North Shields I often had a few there as well - as well as hordes of Starlings that would descend in a huge flock upon the lawn, clear any food and go! All in the space of about three minutes LOL

GILL

Today I've just had the usual,blue tits checking out the nest box, i think they might nest in there this year and guess what pigeons! :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back