• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

Been raining pretty much all day today with snow on the local mountains but had quite a few visitors to the feeders and a very forlorn juvenile red tailed hawk hanging out on the aloe cactus flower spike.
At the feeder over the course of today
Band tailed pigeons (5-10)
Mourning doves (3-4)
House finches (20-30)
White crowned sparrows (30)
Lark sparrow (1)
Spotted towhee (2)
California towhee (2)
Dark eyed junco (2)
Lesser goldfinches (20)
Western scrub jay (1)
Pine siskins (4)
Anna's hummingbird (1)

With all the rain was able to stay in for more of the day than usual and birds seemed to quite like the rain.

Record number of pheasants today - 5 males and 22 females ...... simultaneously !!! The squirrels just didn't know what to do !!

Annie, that's about the number I'm getting lately. The record was 41 ! They were on the drive, on the roof, you name it, they were there!

helenol said:
Annie, that's about the number I'm getting lately. The record was 41 ! They were on the drive, on the roof, you name it, they were there!

What a sight that must be! How tall are these birds anyway? I get the impression that they are 'quite' large!

After a snowstorm, yesterday, I noticed a few pairs of purple finches at the safflower. Hurrah! Such pretty, chatty birds, and a lovely sight mixing with the house finches, the cardinals and goldfinches, today. Figures the camera is upstairs! Just added the seed catcher to the tube with hopes of attracting even more finches!

GrahamR

GrahamR said:
Blue/Great/Long Tailed Tits, lots of greenfinches, male chaffinch, dunnocks, blackbirds, wren, sparrowhawk, and a lovely Song Thrush singing on our roof.

I live in Northumberland and had one small flock of long tailed tits in my garden a couple of months ago...first time I have seen them...they have not been back again...I love them! Saw them again in Scotland 2 weeks ago...watched them for ages.

Do you often get them??? Is there anything I can do to attract them??

Val :bounce:

Gill Osborne said:
Looks like most of the snow isn't up here in the upper reaches of Northumberland...it's down on Tyneside!
Snow clouds have gone now...clear blue skies now with just the odd fluffy white cloud.
We woke up to about two/three inches of snow this morning and we've had a couple of snowfalls which soon blew over but most of the snow in the corner next to my feeding station has melted!

Feeders have been busy all day though....LOTS of chaffinch and blue tit, occasional robin and great tit and a single male yellowhammer & a woodpigeon. Haven't seen any coal tits today which is very bizarre and no GS Woodpeckers for over a week now!

GILL

Hi Gill.... where in Northumberland do you live...we never get coal tits in our garden (Near Morpeth)... lots of blue and great tits only... and ONCE had a flock of long tailed tits (my favourites!)

Tammie said:
What a sight that must be! How tall are these birds anyway? I get the impression that they are 'quite' large!

I believe you are talking about pheasants... we have one comes into our garden EVERY day... very noisy... we chase it away because it eats the food on ground for the little wild birds! :flyaway:

We've been getting a lovely pair of Mistle Thrushes visiting for the raisins I put out. One always stays on sentry duty in a tree while the other feeds. When one has finished they change places, often passing in mid air. Proper cooperation!
They are quite ferocious, and see off Blackbirds, Starlings and Collared Doves (in fact Wood Pigeon is the only thing they give a wide berth to).

Des.

even more Fieldfares today, wish I had digiscoping gear.

Little Owl, Coots, Buzzard & Marsh Tit this afternoon.

Long Tailed Tits are on my feeders most mornings, they seem to prefer fat over the other feeds I put out.

Loads of birds today although weather bad.
sparrows-dunnocks-blackbirds-starlings-blue tits-chaffinches-greenfinches-collared doves-wrens-thrushes and the robin that hadn't turned up became 2 again. o:)

Lovely Pied Wagtail running over the patio today. He kept returning although a pair of Collared Doves were seeing him off each time. Also the usual three Dunnocks flitting about with one another in the bush, Bluetits, female Blackcap, pair of Blackbirds, and a Songthrush who has reappeared after a couple of weeks. Starlings too, as usual. Robin as always.

Nerine

Hi Valerie,
I live at Fawdon...which is four buildings (a farm and three cottages!) on top of a hill two-and-a-half miles from Powburn. we are about eight miles south of Wooler and ten miles west of Alnwick......so middle of nowhere really! LOL
Have you got any snow yet? Tons of the stuff today up here...and more forecast for tomorrow!
Usual birds today.....blue/great/coal tits,robin, blackbird,house sparrow,dunnock, 2 woodpigeons,chaffinch,male yellowhammer,song thrush and...he's back!!!...my male Great spotted Woodpecker! Hasn't been around for about two weeks so it was great to see him again...especially as his colour looked fantastic against the snow!
I've had the odd flock of Long-tailed Tits in the huge ash tree at the back of the cottage and in the woods to the side but haven't yet seen them at the front on my feeders.

Tammie...pheasants are about the size of a cat so quite large really. Lovely birds...we have loads of them up here and often get them in the garden and have one male that roosts in the trees to the side of us.

GILL

20 chaffinch 5 greenfinch 25 ltt 10 great tit 50+ blue tit 40+ house sparrows 10 blackbirds 2 pied wagtail 4 robins 5 dunnock wren song thrush gs woodpeckers 2 nuthatch + tawny and barn owl at dusk

this afternoon...

4 Bullfinch (2m, 2f)
20+ Greenfinch
1 Green Woodpecker
Chaffinch
Nuthatch
2 Mistle Thrush
Blue/Great/Coal/LT Tit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back