• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (3 Viewers)

Another point re the Checklist Codes...

The ABA Checklist emphasises that, following a major review in 2007–2008, "The ABA birding codes now reflect the abundance of a species as opposed to the ease of finding it".

So, for example, Code 4/5 landbirds are sometimes easily twitchable, whereas it could require multiple speculative pelagic trips to connect with some Code 3 seabirds.

Was it really extirpated? Thought they just died out. Or is it different definitions between USA and UK? (to me, 'extirpated' means 'deliberately eradicated, with intent', like e.g. Ruddy Duck in Britain).
Both the Oxford Dictionary (UK) and Merriam-Webster (US) indicate that 'extirpate' means to destroy completely.

Nevertheless, ABA uses it for 'dying out', eg in ABA Checklist Appendix Part 1 (Extirpated Exotics) and Pranty 2015 (The Disappearance of the Budgerigar from the ABA Area).

In ecological and paleontological literature extirpated is often used to indicate a regional extinction, versus extinct which means a global

and yeah the ABA codes are definitely a bit out of date in places. Tamaulipas Crow I don't think has been seen in the states for 6 or 7 years at this point, and for whatever Brown Jay hasn't showed up in recent years. But Barnacle Goose and Pink-footed Goose have become annual with multiple birds, so probably should be downgraded to code 3 from there current status.

Anyone care to work out the code 3 and above birds that have occurred that he hasn't gone for/ticked this year yet? (Think someone mentioned some geese and BH Gull earlier?)

Anyone care to work out the code 3 and above birds that have occurred that he hasn't gone for/ticked this year yet?
A few are present in the ABA Area throughout the year, so should definitely have occurred (eg, Hook-billed Kite, Black-headed Gull, Little Gull, Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, Gray-headed Chickadee, Tropical Parula) - and so can easily be mopped up whenever most convenient.

Last edited:
A few are present in the ABA Area throughout the year, so should definitely have occurred (eg, Hook-billed Kite, Black-headed Gull, Little Gull, Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, Gray-headed Chickadee, Tropical Parula) - and so can easily be mopped up whenever most convenient.

I don't think anyone would say "Gray-headed Chickadee" and "easily mopped up" in the same sentence. That's probably the toughest breeding bird in the ABA area, and there are no gettable birds anywhere close to road or any other form of civilization. Wilderness Birding Tours used to do a week expedition via kayak through the interior of remote Alaska or so to reach them, and I think even then they sometimes missed them.

Anyone care to work out the code 3 and above birds that have occurred that he hasn't gone for/ticked this year yet? (Think someone mentioned some geese and BH Gull earlier?)

Not counting the Rio Grande birds I think he is enroute to see soon, A common Crane was reported elsewhere in Texas (possibly mostly hanging out on private property, and also associating with 40,000 sandhills, so might not be twitchable), A couple of bramblings are around, two kelp gulls (One in LA, one back east in Ohio?), A Yellow-legged Gull in Massachusetts (possible hybrid?), Fieldfare in ?Newfoundland?, A scattering of Pink-footed and Barnacle Goose in the NE, and now a Black-faced Grassquit in Florida.

Those are all the major birds I am aware of right now in the ABA area

I don't think anyone would say "Gray-headed Chickadee" and "easily mopped up" in the same sentence. That's probably the toughest breeding bird in the ABA area, and there are no gettable birds anywhere close to road or any other form of civilization. Wilderness Birding Tours used to do a week expedition via kayak through the interior of remote Alaska or so to reach them, and I think even then they sometimes missed them.
Yes, I hesitated as I wrote that! They're certainly way off the well-worn birding routes. Much easier in Finland. ;)

PS. And it helps that Timberline Sparrow isn't split...

Last edited:
Yes, I hesitated as I wrote that! They're certainly way off the well-worn birding routes. Much easier in Finland. ;)

PS. And it helps that Timberline Sparrow isn't split...

Well...IIRC Timberline is pretty gettable in some Canadian National Parks. Might have to do some hiking, but nothing on par with a week long expedition like that chickadee.

IIRC, the last few big year birders didn't even bother with trying for the Chickadee. Too much money and time for a single tick, and your out in the middle of nowhere missing who knows what vagrants that might pop up. Be interesting to see if Olafson is going to try for it or not.

IIRC, the last few big year birders didn't even bother with trying for the Chickadee. Too much money and time for a single tick, and your out in the middle of nowhere missing who knows what vagrants that might pop up. Be interesting to see if Olafson is going to try for it or not.
He'd probably need a gallon of DEET if he tries for it nude... :eek!:;)

A common Crane was reported elsewhere in Texas (possibly mostly hanging out on private property, and also associating with 40,000 sandhills, so might not be twitchable)

That is exactly what I would expect a wild bird to do, what are the alternatives? In Europe they occur in flocks outside of breeding season.

Niels

That is exactly what I would expect a wild bird to do, what are the alternatives? In Europe they occur in flocks outside of breeding season.

Niels

I assume he was meaning it might not be in areas of public access hence not easily twitchable, or if by some chance it was seen would be only distant or in flight, and it might be a bit awkward to pick out amongst the thousands of others ;)

Thanks, sounds like I completely misunderstood. I thought there were some ideas it was not a fully wild bird.

Niels

I'm finding this one more interesting than Arjan's world listing for some reason.
I guess the reason might be that in order to get a large yearlist, Olaf needs to "clean up" and get the really hard ones, whereas Arjan needs to move on as soon as he's seen the "easy" ones (he's already stayed too long on Sri Lanka, in India and in Thailand).

Yeah I meant "not twitchable" in the sense that the odds seem pretty remote for being able to connect with that bird. Common Crane is pretty much annual in the US of late, but sightings tend to be sporadic because of the size of Sandhill Crane flocks and access issues

I guess the reason might be that in order to get a large yearlist, Olaf needs to "clean up" and get the really hard ones, whereas Arjan needs to move on as soon as he's seen the "easy" ones (he's already stayed too long on Sri Lanka, in India and in Thailand).

As someone based in the USA, I find I get far more invested in ABA years than any other big years. Unlike a world big year, I am familiar with all the birds and even have memories of seeing (or trying to see) many of the rare birds. Also I have traveled enough that many of the locations he visits are at least somewhat familiar.

looks like he nabbed the Blue Bunting and White-throated Thrush, along with a few other less rare year birds

Off to Hatteras (for I assume a pelagic trip)

A couple more (tremendously entertaining) posts up. Great Skua and Barnacle Goose added as coded birds (plus Little Gull, but this species really shouldn't be code 3).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back