• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The view from the bottom. (1 Viewer)

maitreya

What is this bird?

I'll try just posting this with no hints to start with.

Attachments

• Mystery Bird.jpg
    Mystery Bird.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 180
Bluetail, I think you've got it! That tail matches perfectly (short, black tipped corners, and black at the corners of the base).

My first thought was Black & White Warbler, but the photo's from Oregon, so I'll go with Black-throated Gray too. The flank streaks are surely too heavy for Blackpoll.

Michael

Despite the photographer being in Oregon and out of range, I think this looks like a Black and White Warbler. The flank streaks are long lines rather than loosely connected streaks as on Black-throated Grey (not that I've seen one!) and it seems to have some dark streaks on the undertail coverts, which finishes in a dark band. B-t G Warbler should be very white and unmarked on the undertail and undertail coverts. But I may well be talking cobblers on this.

Hi Andrew,

Fifebirder said:
The flank streaks are long lines rather than as on Black-throated Grey.
The B-t G Wbls I got in Oregon looked to me to have pretty much solid lines, not loosely connected streaks. Can't remember the under-tail though (if I even saw it!)

Michael

Fifebirder is correct

Fifebirder said:
Despite the photographer being in Oregon and out of range, I think this looks like a Black and White Warbler. The flank streaks are long lines rather than loosely connected streaks as on Black-throated Grey (not that I've seen one!) and it seems to have some dark streaks on the undertail coverts, which finishes in a dark band. B-t G Warbler should be very white and unmarked on the undertail and undertail coverts. But I may well be talking cobblers on this.

Nice work Fifebirder. This is an adult male Black and White Warbler. Black and White Warbler was formerly a review species in Oregon, but is no longer on the review list. It is seen more years than not during spring migration at Fields and at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge Headquarters in Harney County.

Maitreya

The Black-throated Gray Warblers I have seen all appeared to have rather uni-colored white undertail-coverts, unlike Black-and-White Warbler. Therefore to me the bird on the photo seems more like B-and-W Warbler. The black streaks on the flanks in B-T Gray Warbler depends somewhat on sex & age, adult males having black lines that are quite similar to those in B-and-W Warbler. On basis of undertail-coverts I'd go for Black-and-White Warbler, even if outside normal range.

Added later: Oops! It seems Maitreya gave an absolutely clear answer before I managed to post my thread! :scribe:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back