• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher Quiz (1 Viewer)

maitreya

Here is a flycatcher for you all to ID. Should be no problem for such a talented group.

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 214
That tail looks mighty long. First thought was a Myiarchus sp., but everything else looks more like an Empid. I'll go for Gray Flycatcher.

I know nothingg about N.American Flycatchers... but I shall attempt this as an education process...

I can see... two broad white wing bars so I think that makes it a Pewee or a dreaded Empidomax.

The primary projection looks pretty small and the wings are not as long as the longest under tail coverts
There is a pre-ocular supercilium and a white eye-ring that appears to be broken above the eye

The vent has a yellowish tnge and there is grey-wash to the flanks. The Upperparts are browny Grey.

Right now to the field guide

Adult Eastern Wood Pewee would have dark smudges on the uts but not a juv.... the eye-ring looks weak enough... but the wings seem to short

Damn its an Empidomax

Willow Flycather... looks good on structure and face pattern.... it my best guess for now

I came up with Gray too-- overall gray, long pale-edged tail, short primary projection, strong supraloral, dark tip to bill, range map (!).

I'm pretty much convinced it is Eastern Wood-Pewee. This bird has the right head shape and darker wings, though Gray Flycatcher does look convincing because of the white edges on the tail feathers (I think this is probably just a trick of lighting). Also the top of the head seems darker than Gray. Over all I still think pewee.

Bluetail said:
That tail looks mighty long. First thought was a Myiarchus sp., but everything else looks more like an Empid. I'll go for Gray Flycatcher.

When the bird caught my eye in the field, Myiarchus species was my initial thought also. That prompted taking the photo.

Warbler said:
I'm pretty much convinced it is Eastern Wood-Pewee. This bird has the right head shape and darker wings, though Gray Flycatcher does look convincing because of the white edges on the tail feathers

(I think this is probably just a trick of lighting).

Also the top of the head seems darker than Gray. Over all I still think pewee.

This is the essential insight that is needed to understand the coloration of the bird. In the photo the bird is being very strongly backlit.

Jane Turner said:
I know nothingg about N.American Flycatchers... but I shall attempt this as an education process...

I can see... two broad white wing bars so I think that makes it a Pewee or a dreaded Empidomax.

The primary projection looks pretty small and the wings are not as long as the longest under tail coverts
There is a pre-ocular supercilium and a white eye-ring that appears to be broken above the eye

The vent has a yellowish tnge and there is grey-wash to the flanks. The Upperparts are browny Grey.

Right now to the field guide

Adult Eastern Wood Pewee would have dark smudges on the uts but not a juv.... the eye-ring looks weak enough... but the wings seem to short

Damn its an Empidomax

Willow Flycather... looks good on structure and face pattern.... it my best guess for now

Dear Jane,

What are we to do with you? If only you had had the courage of your convictions, we could have crowned you the queen of Empidonax identification. You yielded your well-reasoned identification to those who were led astray by the deceptive coloration caused by the backlighting. Structure before color.

RRRITZbeyew

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back