• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conference Birding in Lima: desert city birding and a hilltop jewel heist 6-10 May 2 (2 Viewers)

You might indeed Jos!

Best of all, as we covered the final corner of the mossy bog, and the whole reason for this dash to the roof of Peru was a breathtakingly wonderful family party of four Diademed Sandpiper-Plovers. One of the birds I’ve wanted to see ever since I got the first edition of Shorebirds in the late 1980s, I was gutted to get within 50km of a site last year in northwest Argentina’s altiplano without having the chance to look for them. But there they were – calmly feeding about 25 metres away – similar in size to a Pectoral Sandpiper, with grey upperparts, a broad chestnut nuchal collar, a tattler’s finely-vermiculated underparts, yellow legs, a square steep-fronted head with a grey crown, black face, white throat and it’s diadem - an elegant white supercilium that angled down from the forecrown above the downcurved black bill.

The juveniles were less distinctive – with a chestnut and black-speckled back and upper breast, a grey rather than black face, no collar, a less clearly marked belly and a fainter diadem. They were also less wary, coming considerably closer as they fed amongst the pincushion moss. As amazing as the Many-coloured Rush Tyrant was it just couldn’t compete with the combination of thirty plus years of dreaming and the incredible setting of a 4,600m high marsh surrounded by peaks reaching 5,000 and beyond!

With the main mission resoundingly accomplished we headed on up and over the ridge and into another superb peak-ringed valley where more searching finally delivered the ultra range-restricted White-bellied Cinclodes sitting on a roadside rock. Looking twice the size of the other cinclodes the White billed had a different jizz again – being longer tailed and larger-bodied and distinctly pot-bellied, with chestnut wings, dark tail and an iron-grey cap. Unfortunately it did not hang around, and with more than three hours to get back to the airport neither could we, and stopping briefly to search fruitlessly for Andean Tinamou, we headed down along route 116 through the Santa Eulalia valley through a dramatic landscape of small blue lakes and increasingly arid slopes.

It was here where the lost time of the morning really hurt – as we drove by terrific looking habitats that hold a number of restricted range species. We did collect eight Silvery Grebes on one of the lakes and managed to pull Slate-breasted and Mourning Sierra Finches, plus Hooded Siskin and the truly spectacular Black Siskin out of the finch flocks around the upper reaches of the valley, and drive-by Golden Grosbeak, several Bare-faced Ground Doves, two White-capped Dippers, Spot-winged Pigeons and three Yellow-billed Teals a little further down. The road through the central third of the canyon was cut into a vertical sandstone cliff and it tool a real effort to fight off the sense that one false move would terminate the trip as swiftly as a bigger rock would have done earlier in the day. The driver Alejandro, even if he drove just a tad faster than I was comfortable with epitomised my “always go for the old dudes” motto for mountain birding trip – they’ve survived a long time!

I was delivered safely back to the airport with two hours to spare, adding a couple of Belcher’s Gulls feeding in a rubbish-strewn river , twenty or so Black Vultures and last bird of the trip – an Amazilia Hummingbird pillaging a very bedraggled roadside bush as we edged round a roundabout just short of the airport road. After 5 days of jet lag and the 3am start that morning I was sleep before we left the ground. As usual I'd be very happy to provide more details should anyone be interested.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC05214 Pincushion Marsh @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    DSC05214 Pincushion Marsh @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05228 Diademed Sandpiper-plover @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    DSC05228 Diademed Sandpiper-plover @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC05218 Diademed Sandpiper-Plover @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    DSC05218 Diademed Sandpiper-Plover @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC05213 Diademed Sandpiper Plover @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    DSC05213 Diademed Sandpiper Plover @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC05242 White-bellied Cinclodes @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    DSC05242 White-bellied Cinclodes @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Great report as ever Mike. :t:

Pretty sure you must have visited the same high bogs as us, though our experience was quite different. I ended up failing to find either of the star birds, but still felt like it was an awesome half day's birding. I didn't do a report of our Peru trip, so hope you don't mind me posting that day on this thread.

It was mid October 2017. Nicky and I and Ronnie (then aged 4) ended up finding a guest house (Las Brisas) at San Mateo on the central highway. Here we found a taxi driver who was up for taking us to the site and back, setting off at 5am and returning to San Mateo at 1pm, for about 30 US dollars. From up the hill at km120 it's about 17km of rough road to the site, and it was light enough to bird by the time we hit this rough road.

Although I knew we should be pressing on to give us more time at the recommended bogs, the birding was just too exciting on the way, and I just couldn't help yelling "Stop!" time after time, and charging off after head-scratchingly puzzling ground tyrants, and trackside cripplers such as a male Black-breasted Hillstar and a confiding Stripe-headed Antpitta.

By the time we got to the junction by the bogs, my time was limited, and I ended up thrashing around in a fruitless solo search for the Sandpiper-Plover and White-bellied Cinclodes, at around 4700m altitude, until I was seriously warn out and struggling to breath. Getting back to the taxi to join the driver and Nicky and Ronnie ended up being a massive physical strain. One that really let me know that I'm not a kid any more! Nicky said that she could tell by my gait, through bins at more than a km away, as I slowly worked my way back, that I had dipped.

Even so, I was chuffed at what I did see that morning, and the scenery was truly breathtaking. Other birds I noted down in my notebook were Andean Ibis, Puna Snipe, Grey-breasted Seedsnipe, Dark-winged and Slender-billed Miners, Plain-breasted Earthcreeper, Cordilleran and Streak-throated Canasteros, White-fronted, Taczanowski's, Puna and Cinereous Ground Tyrants, Cream-winged and White-winged Cinclodes, Mountain Caracara, Bright-rumped Yellowfinch, Plumbeous Sierra Finch, White-winged Diuca Finch, Crested Duck and Yellow-billed Teal. Ten of those were lifers, and half the others were new for the trip.

Be nice to have another go at the two star birds one day (though I doubt I'll get the chance). If I do I'll head straight to the bogs at the top!

Last edited:
A heist indeed! This little trip, I do believe, takes the crown for the best of your regular conference birding jaunts. Good one!

Many thanks Jos - it has certainly been a memorable trip - 102 species and 52 lifers with the some serious quality amongst them. My top conference birding score was 126 at Brisbane /Gold Coast, and Puerto Vallarta in December 2015 delivered 96 species and 50 lifers.

Always happy to hear more about places I've been Larry - and always enjoyed your writing. I had to drive past so many of the birds that you saw - I had no earth creepers, canasteros, or miners, and no Andean Ibis, ant pitta or Hillstar . . . and that the great frustration of most of my trips - the fact you get one shot and know you're leaving so many behind.

As a result I love reading reports like Paul's, where you get time to really learn a place and its birds - and I've long wanted to visit the Scottish Isles . . .

Cheers
Mike

I am glad you saw the DSP and went for it in the first place; the landscape up there is truly breath taking and for me a fascinating memory that will last.
The Santa Eulalia valley and the peat bogs at Marcopomacochas are so close to sea level and a capital city, while at the same time the villages are seemingly warped 100 years in time and the landscape at 5000 MASL seems to be a different world.

Very glad I went for it too Temmie, and the big regret was not to spend more time up on top.

Here's a couple of landscape pix from around 4,000- 4,600m

1. train jam
2.top of the road
3.WB Cinclodes Valley
4.mountain lake

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3882 train jam @ Santa Eulalia.JPG
    IMG_3882 train jam @ Santa Eulalia.JPG
    512.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Top of the road @ Santa Eulalia.JPG
    Top of the road @ Santa Eulalia.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8018 WB Cinclodes @ Junction.JPG
    IMG_8018 WB Cinclodes @ Junction.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC05249 Upland lake @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    DSC05249 Upland lake @ Santa Eulalia.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Excellent report

You might indeed Jos!

Best of all, as we covered the final corner of the mossy bog, and the whole reason for this dash to the roof of Peru was a breathtakingly wonderful family party of four Diademed Sandpiper-Plovers. One of the birds I’ve wanted to see ever since I got the first edition of Shorebirds in the late 1980s, I was gutted to get within 50km of a site last year in northwest Argentina’s altiplano without having the chance to look for them. But there they were – calmly feeding about 25 metres away – similar in size to a Pectoral Sandpiper, with grey upperparts, a broad chestnut nuchal collar, a tattler’s finely-vermiculated underparts, yellow legs, a square steep-fronted head with a grey crown, black face, white throat and it’s diadem - an elegant white supercilium that angled down from the forecrown above the downcurved black bill.

The juveniles were less distinctive – with a chestnut and black-speckled back and upper breast, a grey rather than black face, no collar, a less clearly marked belly and a fainter diadem. They were also less wary, coming considerably closer as they fed amongst the pincushion moss. As amazing as the Many-coloured Rush Tyrant was it just couldn’t compete with the combination of thirty plus years of dreaming and the incredible setting of a 4,600m high marsh surrounded by peaks reaching 5,000 and beyond!

Cheers
Mike

Great sightings, we missed the Sandpiper in Peru some years back, hoping to get to Chile next year to try again.

You bugger, Mike. I did the run up to the Ticlio Bog a few years ago. Got the sandpiper-plover and the cinclodes, but was absolutely slaughtered by the altitude, so we couldn't stay up there long enough to get the seedsnipes. That's a family that still eludes me.

But seriously, great report and as usual spectacular pics. And the Swallow-tailed Gull at Villa is a real goodie!

JH

Many thanks everyone - it really is a great spot.

I was a bit wobbly myself looking for the DSP Jeff, and am grateful the seedsnipes were right by the roadside as I’ve experience with altitude sickness myself in the past.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back