Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 7 / 8 x 42 EDG experiences sought

Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 00:32   #26
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Bob, since the EDG is so good, and as I said before I agree that it is, why didn't Nikon market these as they should have?
How should they have marketed them? I had no problem getting mine. They were introduced in the USA in 2007 or 2008 through the normal retail channels.

I bought a 10x32 EDG I in 2010 from Eagle Optics and registered it with Nikon. When it began having problems with the covering bubbling in 2014 I sent it back to Nikon under their Warranty. Nikon replaced it with a 10x32 EDG II version which I still own and use. The EDG II was introduced in Europe in 2010.

Allbinos discusses the two launches of the EDG binoculars at the beginning of their reviews of the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Saturday 25th May 2019 at 00:45.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 16:16   #27
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
How should they have marketed them? I had no problem getting mine. They were introduced in the USA in 2007 or 2008 through the normal retail channels.

I bought a 10x32 EDG I in 2010 from Eagle Optics and registered it with Nikon. When it began having problems with the covering bubbling in 2014 I sent it back to Nikon under their Warranty. Nikon replaced it with a 10x32 EDG II version which I still own and use. The EDG II was introduced in Europe in 2010.

Allbinos discusses the two launches of the EDG binoculars at the beginning of their reviews of the 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

Bob

How about being able to actually find one in a store somewhere? Actually being able to handle it for fit, ergos, etc? That would've been a logical move would it not? I knew you were a Nikon homer but I thought the EDG's absence in the marketplace was obvious. Vortex is quite the opposite.....mediocre products but you can find them everywhere, in person, to see if you like them. What an idea.
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 18:05   #28
[email protected]

Quote:
How about being able to actually find one in a store somewhere? Actually being able to handle it for fit, ergos, etc? That would've been a logical move would it not? I knew you were a Nikon homer but I thought the EDG's absence in the marketplace was obvious. Vortex is quite the opposite.....mediocre products but you can find them everywhere, in person, to see if you like them. What an idea.
I have NEVER seen an EDG in a store but you see all the mid-range and low end Nikon's. I think it is because Nikon is not associated with high end binoculars so they figure they wouldn't sell at Cabella's anyway. If somebody is going to pay $2K for a binocular they buy a Swarovski or less likely a Zeiss. Every Swarovski I have sold has not depreciated that much but EDG's depreciate a lot. Every EDG I have sold I had to list at 1/2 of their retail or about $1K or less. You can always at least get $1.5K for a Swarovski on the used market. People will pay it for a Swarovski but not a Nikon. They associate Nikon with a $300.00 Monarch. You can buy new EDG's on Ebay from Japan for $1200.00 which further reduces their value. No way will you find a Swarovski SV for that kind of money. If you pay more than $1200.00 for a new EDG your nuts. No warranty and even if it HAD a warranty Nikon has lousy warranty service, no support and the objective covers don't fit. I bought a new Nikon EDG 10x32 on Ebay for $1200.00 from Japan and the focuser had backlash so the seller payed $55.00 shipping for me to return it and then he tried to deduct $500.00 from my refund for it being USED. I only had it out of the box a couple times. I contacted Ebay and within 10 minutes I got my whole refund. You can buy a new Habicht on Ebay from the UK for $750.00 and in a year you will still get the price you paid when you sell it used.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 25th May 2019 at 18:50.
Old Saturday 25th May 2019, 18:14   #29
jgraider

Agree Dennis. Who in their right mind would spend big $$$ on a used EDG, when it will not even have a warranty for the new buyer? This is but one reason Swaro dominates the alpha sector.
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 00:09   #30
ceasar

You can buy Nikon binoculars directly from Nikon.

Bring up Nikon Sport Optics and find the binocular you would like to purchase. Click on "Buy Now" and follow the instructions (I think there is $50.00 off right now on the Monarch MGs.) There are also buyer's reviews with them and you can also find lists of dealers in the USA who sell them.

Bob

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 00:17   #31
ceasar

Quote:
I'm not a Nikon "Homer" JG. I have and use various "Alpha" binoculars.

That's the problem with having a "discussion" with you here on Bird Forum. One can't carry on a conversation with you without you sneaking in a cheap shot.

Have a nice day!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 00:25.

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 00:17   #32
[email protected]

Quote:
You can buy Nikon binoculars directly from Nikon.

Bring up Nikon Sport Optics and find the binocular you would like to purchase. Click on "Buy Now" and follow the instructions (I think there is $50.00 off right now on the Monarch MGs.) There are also buyer's reviews with them and you can also find lists of dealers in the USA who sell them.

Bob
I wouldn't trust the reviews on the Nikon Sport Optics website. I wrote a not so positive review on the Nikon 8x30 MHG and they wouldn't post it! They screen them! I tried three times to get it posted. They just post POSITIVE reviews! They did send me THREE nice Nikon t-shirt's though. One for each review that they didn't post! If you notice there are no BAD reviews on their website. The t-shirts are starting to get worn out so I think I am going to write some more reviews that they won't post!

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 00:23.
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 00:43   #33
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

I think there are few on here homers who favor the green, and that's fine. I have a few EDGs and a few SVs, both have their +s and -s. I prefer my EDG 8 and 10X42s over any glass in those formats, to my eyes they provide me the best views here on the right coast.

Andy W.

Last edited by dries1 : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 01:03.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 01:01   #34
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
I think there are few on here homers who favor the green, and that's fine. I have a few EDGs and a few SVs, both have their +s and -s. I prefer my 8 and 10X42s over any glass in those formats, to my eyes they provide me the best views here on the right coast.

Andy W.
Andy,

It doesn't much matter with the EDGs anymore. They were discontinued over a year ago. Those who have one have a great binocular but it is pointless to argue over Nikon's "marketing" of them anymore!

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...80&postcount=1

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=358523

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 01:12.

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 05:45   #35
[email protected]

It is funny Nikon didn't do the few things needed to improve the EDG to make them great. Some better glass and coatings to improve the transmission. A little better designed diopter and some objective covers that fit and better case and accessories and nobody could have touched the EDG's. Better warranty and customer support would have helped too. They just let them die. They are just a small part of their market so they don't care. It is a shame.

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 17:37.
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 19:24   #36
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Yes Dennis it is a shame, they made some premium optics, which could last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance, but they stopped any service on them not too long ago. I am not even sure they will service the EDGs with parts if needed today. Customer service could be much improved IMHO, I do not think Nikon USA knows what Nikon in Japan is doing.
Regarding the objective covers, I believe that after the EDG I was canned, they kept the objective tubes from the EDG I (the nubs from the bridge) and just used them on the EDG II, and the objective covers were an after thought, sort of like... this will work, done.
I took some advice from Bruce who had a couple of them and bought the Zeiss Terra 8X42 case, they fit perfect, and just put the objective covers in the box.

The EDGs might be the last high end glass Nikon makes (WX not included), the MHG is a nice glass but it is not an EDG.

Andy W.

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 19:43   #37
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Nikon are their own worst enemy. They lack tradition and continuity with their products. They'll introduce a line of products and then let them die a slow death by poor support and poor supply.

Quote:
the MHG is a nice glass but it is not an EDG.
For me that's a good thing. I have an MHG 8x42 and like it better than the EDGs.
It's far lighter, has a wider field, cost 40% of an EDG, and still has very good optics. Yeah the EDG is somewhat better for the very discriminating reviewer but that small difference doesn't much matter to me. After all, I hold these things in my hands.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 20:34   #38
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Kevin,

Yes the MHG is a nice glass, I also use the 8X42 often. At least Nikon MHG owners know that at least for now, they will get serviced or replaced (as I had one with a wondering diopter).

Andy W.

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 21:12   #39
[email protected]

Quote:
Yes Dennis it is a shame, they made some premium optics, which could last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance, but they stopped any service on them not too long ago. I am not even sure they will service the EDGs with parts if needed today. Customer service could be much improved IMHO, I do not think Nikon USA knows what Nikon in Japan is doing.
Regarding the objective covers, I believe that after the EDG I was canned, they kept the objective tubes from the EDG I (the nubs from the bridge) and just used them on the EDG II, and the objective covers were an after thought, sort of like... this will work, done.
I took some advice from Bruce who had a couple of them and bought the Zeiss Terra 8X42 case, they fit perfect, and just put the objective covers in the box.

The EDGs might be the last high end glass Nikon makes (WX not included), the MHG is a nice glass but it is not an EDG.

Andy W.
I think you are right. The EDG will be the last high end glass Nikon makes. But then they surprise you with stuff like the WX. WHERE did that come from? Their low end and mid-priced stuff is very nice for the money like you say. The M7's, MHG's and EII's are a good value for the money and probably higher quality than the MIC Vortex's anymore. Nikon has a LOT of optical expertise as shown by the technology in the WX. They could make some awesome binoculars if they wanted to. Those EDG objective covers were frustrating. Just when you think they are staying on they pop off.

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 21:16.
Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 21:23   #40
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It is funny Nikon didn't do the few things needed to improve the EDG to make them great. Some better glass and coatings to improve the transmission. A little better designed diopter and some objective covers that fit and better case and accessories and nobody could have touched the EDG's. Better warranty and customer support would have helped too. They just let them die. They are just a small part of their market so they don't care. It is a shame.
Dennis,

I'm curious. Considering your critical analysis of the EDGs above, why do you think Allbinos ranked the EDGs as high as they did?

Here are Allbinos rankings of the EDGs compared with the rankings of the equivalent Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica binoculars.

The EDG was ranked 1st in the 8x32 class over the #2 Zeiss Victory 8x32T*FL and the #3 Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B. The Swarovski EL 8x32 WB came in 11th, behind the 7th place Leica 8x32 UV HD and the #5 Nikon 8x32 SE (a Porro prism).

In the 8x42 class the Nikon 8x42 power EDG came in 2nd behind the Swarovski 8.5x42 power Swarovision but ahead of the #3 Zeiss 8x42 Victory FL. The Leica 8x42 Ultravid came in 7th.

And in the 10x42 class the Nikon 10x42 EDG was ranked first over the #2 ranked Swarovski-10x42 EL Swarovision and the 3rd Place Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 and the 4th place Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL and the 5th place Swarovski SLC-neu 10x42WB.

https://www.allbinos.com/rankings.html

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 21:35.

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 21:41   #41
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
At least Nikon MHG owners know that at least for now, they will get serviced or replaced (as I had one with a wondering diopter).
And that's another thing. Nikon hasn't given their customers much incentive to want to pay similar prices to LSZ regardless of how they compare visually.

Wondering? What was it asking? ,... sorry

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 21:50.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 21:55   #42
ceasar

Quote:
Kevin,

Yes the MHG is a nice glass, I also use the 8X42 often. At least Nikon MHG owners know that at least for now, they will get serviced or replaced (as I had one with a wondering diopter).

Andy W.
Andy,

Likewise with me. I bought mine from Camera Land and registered it with Nikon on line when I got it. When it shortly developed a wandering diopter I contacted Nikon and returned it to them as instructed and they replaced it with a new one very quickly. It is still working fine after a year.

I would like to note that these Monarch HGs are rumored to be made by Kamakura for Nikon.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 22:00.

Old Sunday 26th May 2019, 23:06   #43
[email protected]

Quote:
Dennis,

I'm curious. Considering your critical analysis of the EDGs above, why do you think Allbinos ranked the EDGs as high as they did?

Here are Allbinos rankings of the EDGs compared with the rankings of the equivalent Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica binoculars.

The EDG was ranked 1st in the 8x32 class over the #2 Zeiss Victory 8x32T*FL and the #3 Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B. The Swarovski EL 8x32 WB came in 11th, behind the 7th place Leica 8x32 UV HD and the #5 Nikon 8x32 SE (a Porro prism).

In the 8x42 class the Nikon 8x42 power EDG came in 2nd behind the Swarovski 8.5x42 power Swarovision but ahead of the #3 Zeiss 8x42 Victory FL. The Leica 8x42 Ultravid came in 7th.

And in the 10x42 class the Nikon 10x42 EDG was ranked first over the #2 ranked Swarovski-10x42 EL Swarovision and the 3rd Place Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 and the 4th place Zeiss Victory 10x42 FL and the 5th place Swarovski SLC-neu 10x42WB.

https://www.allbinos.com/rankings.html

Bob
Bob. I know Allbinos ranks the EDG's very high and in many ways they are exceptional but IMO I feel they are darker and more subdued than the other alpha's according to my eyes but everybodies perception of brightness can be different. It is more personal preference than anything. I have had the 8x32 EDG, 7x42 EDG, 8x42 EDG and the 10x32 EDG. This the link to the "The phenomenal but dark Nikon EDG 8x42 - review thread" and Tobias's review on the Nikon EDG's.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=315712
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...x42review.html

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 26th May 2019 at 23:23.
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 01:24   #44
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Bob. I know Allbinos ranks the EDG's very high and in many ways they are exceptional but IMO I feel they are darker and more subdued than the other alpha's according to my eyes but everybodies perception of brightness can be different. It is more personal preference than anything. I have had the 8x32 EDG, 7x42 EDG, 8x42 EDG and the 10x32 EDG. This the link to the "The phenomenal but dark Nikon EDG 8x42 - review thread" and Tobias's review on the Nikon EDG's.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...x42review.html

Dennis,

Thanks for those links from Tobias; particularly the first link. I am going to post it here again so no one misses it because the discussion we are having now took place before!

Do you remember Brock?

He has much to say in it about the brightness and colors of the Nikon EDGs and LXLs.

I was also part of that conversation. I had forgotten it and it was a real pleasure, not to say re-education, to read it again!

You have to scroll down to Post #9 where the discussion of color and brightness begins with a statement by Brock:

"The EDG has the best of both worlds when it comes to transmission, because the light spectrum "curve" is rather flat with a slight bump in the blue and a longer and higher bump in the red.

While 89.8+/- 1.5% transmission that Arek found is a few points behind the HT and SF, it's the emphasis that Zeiss puts on the middle of the spectrum (green-yellow) in its AR coatings that makes the HT and SF seem even brighter when compared side by side with the EDG since the middle of the spectrum is where our eyes are the most sensitive. Zeiss alphas are optimized for low light, the EDG and Premier for daylight."

Note that the EDG and Premier (formerly known as LXL) are optimized "for daylight."

Incidentally Dennis, you made a comment at post 23.

Bob

Old Monday 27th May 2019, 01:50   #45
[email protected]

It is kind of funny to be rehashing something after 7 years isn't it? I certainly do remember Brock! WHAT a character! He always had MUCH to say! I know now at least I am consistent. I felt the same way 7 years ago except I wouldn't say the LX is the worst binocular I have ever used! I have used much worse ones since then! Nikon's always were red biased that is why they appear darker and warmer than a Zeiss or Swarovski especially in low light. The latest Nikon 8x30 EII's with the updated coatings got rid of some of that red bias.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 27th May 2019 at 05:43.
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 01:57   #46
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks Bob for that post, perhaps that is why I love using them (LX/EDGs) during the daytime under sunny conditions. To my eyes they are a pleasure to view under bright conditions.

Andy W,

Old Monday 27th May 2019, 04:13   #47
mwhogue

Thanks to everyone for your contributions to a great thread.

Today I met a new BF acquaintance at the Texas City dike for 2 hours of comparing @ 12 different alpha bins. For context in addition to the models referenced below we had, among others, the Habicht 10x42 (sublime) and the SV FP 12x50 ("Mine eyes have seen the Glory"!).

Back on topic -- and granted the following is based on personal preference, ergonomics, intended/best use, etc. -- he is a well kitted out binocular buff and an award winning bird photographer who was interested in comparing my EDG II 7x42 with his Leica UV+ and Zeiss FL 7x42's. He immediately preferred the EDG, immediately as in, immediately upon raising it to his eyes before adjusting for our considerable difference in diopter correction.

Next format:He became curious, more curious than interested frankly, in our exchange of emails to schedule the comparison about why my favorite format is the 10x32 so I brought my four 10x32 alphas. He was hugely and again immediately impressed by the EDG 10x32 and repeated several times he could not believe the 10x32 format was not much more highly regarded. With 11 other alphas on the table, he would not put the 10x32 EDG down once he picked it up.

Looping back to the topic, he owns and loves the SW FP 8x32 and remarked based on that experience it seemed best to go with an EDG 7 (or 10) rather than an 8 EDG because on balance the 7 more than made up for the -1 magnification with its other advantages.

For me the highlights were his SW 12x50, the surprisingly light Zeiss FL 7x42 (AK prisms!) and the Habicht.
Old Monday 27th May 2019, 13:08   #48
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Actually......NO.

Throwing out subjective ideas/thoughts/feelings/etc....when comparing Allbino's transmission percent light transmission graphs, ACTUAL objective DATA, the EDG II 8X42 actually betters the SV 8.5X42 at practically every visible color on the spectrum. From PURPLE to BLUE thru RED the EDG II 8X42 betters the SV 8.5X42. Combining the listed figure of 87.8% of the SV vs. 89.8% for the EDG AND looking at the Allbino's transmission graphs listed for each(see below) is completely indicative of being at the very LEAST every BIT as bright as an SV 8.5X42 if not BRIGHTER. And I CAN take pictures of the exit pupils of each...which won't fare well for the SV.

The EDG is SMALLER....2 ounces LIGHTER....smoothest focus AVAILABLE....just facts. I have three EDGs...ZERO slack in any of the three....ZERO.

So to say the EDG is DIM/DARK...ROTFLMAO! One can SEE what they want to I suppose, but facts really ARE facts.

BTW....my EDG 7X42 IS a used one and a perfect specimen. A little good judgement goes a long way. No warranty issues or otherwise with any Nikon binocular I've ever owned. I think I'll be ok! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66072_nikon_8x42_edg.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	696283  Click image for larger version

Name:	75559_swarovski.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	696285  Click image for larger version

Name:	C1B509A4-5BF4-4AFC-921D-CE004145F347.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	696287  

Last edited by chill6x6 : Monday 27th May 2019 at 13:33. Reason: 7X42 info

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th May 2019, 13:30   #49
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhogue View Post
Thanks to everyone for your contributions to a great thread.

Today I met a new BF acquaintance at the Texas City dike for 2 hours of comparing @ 12 different alpha bins. For context in addition to the models referenced below we had, among others, the Habicht 10x42 (sublime) and the SV FP 12x50 ("Mine eyes have seen the Glory"!).

Back on topic -- and granted the following is based on personal preference, ergonomics, intended/best use, etc. -- he is a well kitted out binocular buff and an award winning bird photographer who was interested in comparing my EDG II 7x42 with his Leica UV+ and Zeiss FL 7x42's. He immediately preferred the EDG, immediately as in, immediately upon raising it to his eyes before adjusting for our considerable difference in diopter correction.

Next format:He became curious, more curious than interested frankly, in our exchange of emails to schedule the comparison about why my favorite format is the 10x32 so I brought my four 10x32 alphas. He was hugely and again immediately impressed by the EDG 10x32 and repeated several times he could not believe the 10x32 format was not much more highly regarded. With 11 other alphas on the table, he would not put the 10x32 EDG down once he picked it up.

Looping back to the topic, he owns and loves the SW FP 8x32 and remarked based on that experience it seemed best to go with an EDG 7 (or 10) rather than an 8 EDG because on balance the 7 more than made up for the -1 magnification with its other advantages.

For me the highlights were his SW 12x50, the surprisingly light Zeiss FL 7x42 (AK prisms!) and the Habicht.
HAHA! I completely know where the Texas City dike is and have been there a couple of times! What a great birding spot. That was the first place I saw an American Oystercatcher and a Monk Parakeet, LOL! That whole area in there from Texas City to Galveston island are great birding spots. I wish I lived closer.

I have to agree with you concerning the SV 12X50. I really don't know why it's not used more in the birding community. That FL 7X42 is some of Zeiss's best work IMO.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th May 2019, 14:13   #50
[email protected]

These pictures by Tobias really show why the EDG's appear dark and the link goes into a more detailed explanation. Easy to see how dark the EDG's are from the photo's. This what you actually see through an EDG with your eyes.

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/al...rightness.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brightness8x42-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	696307  Click image for larger version

Name:	Brightness8x42-3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	696308  

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 27th May 2019 at 14:24.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: