Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Juvenile Starling - odd plumage - London UK

Old Sunday 20th June 2010, 12:32   #1
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Juvenile Starling - odd plumage - London UK

This might be the wrong sub-forum for this, but anyway:

I've over 50 juv Starlings in my garden this year (pretty much the same as every year), and I watch them for hours each day. I've noticed a few with this violet-coloured staining on the throat and chest. I've checked pictures of juveniles from previous years, and this is the first year that I've seen it.

There's a few possibilities that spring to mind:
  • Blood - the violet colour would be right for this.
  • Eating Blackberries - there aren't any berries on the bush this early in the year, and the Starlings stay in my garden during daylight hours, so another source is unlikely (it's costing me a fortune ).
  • Skin showing through the feathers - through binoculars it looks like the feathers themselves are this colour.
  • Plumage variation in juveniles that I've somehow missed each year - possible I suppose.

So, anyone have any ideas on this please? My main concern is a stain from blood, as it would mean the Starlings are being injured in, or near, my garden somehow. Just to make it clear; it's only a few that are like this, as you can see by the bird in the background of the first picture.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1800680R.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	267507  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1800672R.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	267508  
Old Sunday 20th June 2010, 13:31   #2
stonechat1
Forum Member

Hi Chris, this are no blood stains IMHO. Old blood is very dark when it coagulate, this seems more as some fruit juice how berries (e.g. strawberries). Note that the color is from the base of the bill till to the leggs. No wound will show such dimension with this unharmed plumage.
Old Sunday 20th June 2010, 14:28   #3
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Thanks for replying.

I'm also leaning towards fruit, that they are getting somewhere else. There's so many birds in my small garden, that I've probably missed a few flying off and then returning.

I'll try and watch one as it goes in the bird bath, and see if the colour washes off.

Thanks again.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: