Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Looking for advice on attracting Orioles [South Central Minnesota]

Old Friday 17th May 2019, 15:24   #1
nocomply65

Looking for advice on attracting Orioles [South Central Minnesota]

First of all, thank you for having me in the forum. I live in a suburb outside of the Twin Cities on the outskirts of a town where I'm practically in the woods, so observing wildlife while listening to music in my living room has been my go-to decompressing activity since living there.

I saw Orioles feeding from my suet feeder a little more than a week ago, so I got myself an Oriole nectar feeder. It isn't the highest quality, but the only one I could find in a store. It's orange with plenty large perches. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen a single one to it yet and I’m wondering if it’s too late now. It’s placed in my front living room window which faces the south side of the house and is on the second level, so it gets sun. Perhaps that is a mistake?

I'm happy to answer questions to offer more precise advice for myself, also happy to provide pictures once I get home tonight if that's helpful.

Anyway, just also tips in general, well sourced articles, etc. Perhaps if I goofed it this year I can do better next spring. Thank you!
Old Friday 17th May 2019, 19:22   #2
Lisa W
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Hi, and welcome to the forum. The orange nectar feeder is definitely a good start. Other things would be orange halves, and grape jelly. Both meet with great success with the orioles in Arizona. You might try putting the feeder(s) near the same location as your suet feeders since they have fed there before. It takes a few days for the birds to find new feeders. Good luck.

My birding photos
RV Travel Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 27th May 2019, 01:15   #3
Buff1ehead

A shame you can't plant palm trees up there in Minnesota--the Hooded Orioles love them.

I've had considerable luck with grapefruit halves. But that was in Arizona. I suspect that any leftover jelly works.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: