• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaeger -- Mexico (1 Viewer)

ensis

Bípedo implume
Confused over this one -- Seen Sep 9th in NW Baja California. Pomarine? Parasitic?

Attachments

• Jaeger IMG_1181.jpg
    Jaeger IMG_1181.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Jaeger IMG_1184.jpg
    Jaeger IMG_1184.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Jaeger IMG_1191.jpg
    Jaeger IMG_1191.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Jaeger IMG_1194.JPG
    Jaeger IMG_1194.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 128
Hmm, on second thought you are probably right, but it is unusual to see one with so many white primary shafts on upperwing as well as such prominent pale tips to outer greater coverts. There is also no "double flash" on underside of hand in this bird.

Please for my education can any advise what is the id of the white bird the tern species in the same photo
It's an Elegant Tern, seems to me.

I'm thinking Royal, from the extent of white on the head - Elegant would have a bit more black on the forehead.

Amazing birds. Jaeger is German for hunter I believe. Curious why the Tern is mixing it up. Protecting a food source?

The skua is attacking the tern, trying to steal its food.

This is not my strongest arena of bird knowledge, but with those heavily contrasting white UTCs, rounded tail feathers and heavy looking bill (subjective but was the first thing I thought before looking at any other ID points) I think its probably a Pom.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back