• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

ID Required

Hello All
I've finally got round to posting on Bird Forum after several years of regularly reading the posts on the Mallorca thread. My husband and I have spent several weeks over the past few years bird watching in Mallorca and have found the information and regular posts on the forum very useful. In future I aim to post sightings too.
This year we were in Mallorca in May and June and have several birds that we would like some help in identifying in the photo's attached.

The 'sparrow' and 'raptor' were seen near Santa Margalida and the 'warbler' was seen at Punta Amer.

Thank you, Sally & Roger

Attachments

• DSCN3346 12 May 18.JPG
    DSCN3346 12 May 18.JPG
    656.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN3820 30 May 18.JPG
    DSCN3820 30 May 18.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN4237 16th June 18.jpg
    DSCN4237 16th June 18.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 60
I would say whinchat, booted Eagle and fan tailed warbler

Hello All
I've finally got round to posting on Bird Forum after several years of regularly reading the posts on the Mallorca thread. My husband and I have spent several weeks over the past few years bird watching in Mallorca and have found the information and regular posts on the forum very useful. In future I aim to post sightings too.
This year we were in Mallorca in May and June and have several birds that we would like some help in identifying in the photo's attached.

The 'sparrow' and 'raptor' were seen near Santa Margalida and the 'warbler' was seen at Punta Amer.

Thank you, Sally & Roger

A surprise at the Cap when I arrived with a Mute swan on the water, no doubt escaped from somewhere but I’ve no idea where.
Seven Honey Buzzard, two Hobby and a few Marsh Harrier left the Island along with one Bee-eater.
A variety of local birds including Bonelli’s Eagle and Common Buzzard kept us entertained.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi stew, yes error on my part. Thekla is what it should have been. Have a great time. Wish I was still there.

Thanks Craig - we’re flying out to the Island tomorrow, so it’s great to have the up to date picture. Presumably you meant thekla lark rather than crested at Son Real?

Stew

Id

Thank you to Craig and Mike for IDing the 3 birds for me.
I mistakenly uploaded the ‘Whinchat’ photo instead of the ‘Sparrow’ photo. I need to work out how to reduce the size down to allow it to upload. Will post when I’ve sorted it out!
Does anyone know if the Mallorca Bird Calendar Competion for 2019 is going ahead this year?
Thanks, Sally

Hi all. No entering in this forum for a while, but very interesting as usual. I agree whith the identification of all pictures except the raptor, in my opinion a marsh harrier instead of booted eagle.
Today a few storm petrels, balearic shearwaters (they are back!), and scopolis a few miles from the south coast. Not bad at all

Thank you Maties as usual for your input, much appreciated. Having had another look, I can see it’s a Marsh Harrier.
Storm petrels are super-hard to see here, I have only logged two in twenty years, one with Maties and Lalo at Punta de n’Amer and one a week later at my local lighthouse.
I have seen fourteen others from boats, many miles out to sea, on the way to Ibiza. They are very hard to catch up with from the coast. Mike

We arrived in Puerto Pollenca mid-morning, but as we are travelling with non-birding friends it was mid afternoon before I could sneak away!

A short visit to the Albufereta produced great white egret, greenshank (2), common sand and 30+ Kentish plovers. At Ca’n Cuarassa a group of 21 starlings flying over contained several brown juvs, so presumably were “common”. There were 17shags on the breakwaters off Puerto Pollenca beach, and a total of 30+ gulls there were mostly Audouin’s.

Best thing today - a two-tailed pascha on the trees near the bike shop along the road to La Gola.

Stew

Ahh yes marsh harrier. Well spotted Maties

Thank you Maties as usual for your input, much appreciated. Having had another look, I can see it’s a Marsh Harrier.
Storm petrels are super-hard to see here, I have only logged two in twenty years, one with Maties and Lalo at Punta de n’Amer and one a week later at my local lighthouse.
I have seen fourteen others from boats, many miles out to sea, on the way to Ibiza. They are very hard to catch up with from the coast. Mike

After such a good day at the Cap yesterday, it was a bit of a shock to see absolutely nothing today. Hey ho.
Just to reconfirm Graham’s theory about the Rock sparrows retreating when the traffic comes, I was at passatge 5 early and there was a big flock of them feeding both in the fields and on the grass verge which had just been cut. I stayed with them trying to take photographs but they are very flighty, especially when the cars started arriving. With each passing car they retreated further away until none could be seen. As I said before, they come back from time to time, but only in ones and twos, but the big flocks have dissipated by that time.
With regards to the Mute swan that I saw and photographed from the Cap, it seems to have been accepted as a genuine vagrant much to my surprise but what would I know? Mike

I am still seawatching most days. There really is very little out there during the summer months but I have managed to see at least one Balearic shearwater in every month so far this year. Only one in August and September though. The first autumn Gannet has already been seen and the numbers of both Scopoli’s and Balearic shearwaters will build up from now on.
During these last few super calm days, Dolphins have been plentiful, one of the best things to see for me, they are so entertaining. Mike

Today in Formentor, my first Common starlings, many Eleonora's hunting out in front of the seacliffs, Balearic warbler showing well and a good passage of Barn swallows and Common swifts, with a few Pallid.
Albufereta in the afternoon, Spoonbill from the platform (Philip saw it at the new scrape by Club Pollentia), GW egret, Booted eagle, 2 Marsh harriers, 3 Purple swamphens, ca 100 coots, all from tge high platform, and 60+ Kentish from the hide.

In the evening some Eleonora's hunting on a pine forest at the usual place between Sa Pobla and Pollença.

Good to see Philip and StewB at Albufereta.

Thanks Mark for the link for information on Flamingo rings. I often see ringed birds so it will be very useful.

Hi StewB and welcome to Mallorca! Will see you later in the week. Until then, good birding. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back