Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

SE Idaho information needed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 19th July 2004, 18:36   #1
columbidae

SE Idaho information needed

I may have an opportunity to make a working trip to Idaho Falls for a week in late August or early September. Hoping to arrange some bird time during this trip, I would like to ask advice on birding spots close to Idaho Falls (no more than 50 miles preferred). I'm particularly interested in places to see Sandhill Crane and American Bittern.

All suggestions are appreciated.
Old Monday 19th July 2004, 19:17   #2
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

Hmm, you will need some special tips for that.

With unfamiliar states, I often start with state parks
http://www.idahoparks.org/parks/

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 20th July 2004, 19:31   #3
Steve Gross

Dan: A great place for both your target species is Market Lake, which is either a Wildlife Management Area or a National Wildlife Refuge. It's not too far at all from IF, just up I-15 to the Roberts area. I had both those species at that location in early June. We only heard the bittern, however.

Another fantastic area for birding is south of IF, in the Mink Creek Recreation Area, just up the hill from Pocatello (50-65 miles south of IF). Kinney Creek, Cherry Springs, and Justice Park are birding locations within the larger Recreation Area, and they hold lots of good western birds, such as Western Scrub Jay, Long-eared Owl, Virginia's, McGillivray's, and Black-throated Gray Warblers, etc. I got my life Flammulated and Northern Saw-whet Owls in those locations as well.

Feel free to IM me if you'd like more specific information.

Steve in Houston

P.S. If you can get up Wolverine Canyon, near Blackfoot, you can find many of the species mentioned in the Mink Creek area, without the driving distance. Good luck.
Old Wednesday 21st July 2004, 03:04   #4
columbidae

Thank you both for the pointers. I found Market Lake on Mapquest, and it looks like it certainly is ideally located, as it really will be important for me to stick close to Idaho Falls. I've also been looking at Camas National Wildlife Refuge, a little further up the road... if anyone's ever birded there, I'd like to hear about your experience.
Old Wednesday 21st July 2004, 15:43   #5
Steve Gross

Camas is a nice place to bird, especially during migration. It has a reputation for drawing eastern migrants, particularly warblers.

The road to Camas, which is more or less the frontage road for I-15, passes through good habitat for Sage Thrasher, Sage Sparrow, Horned Lark, Burrowing Owl, and Ferruginous Hawk.

Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: