• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Help with ID, Aug 2018 Kuching Reservoir Park, Sarawak. Malaysia (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

1. Is this a Plume-toed Swiftlet? This is the only shot I have.

2. Photos 2 & 3 - This looks like a Flowerpecker but I'm not sure which it was as the photos came out quite dark. I've lightened it a bit but not sure if it helps. eBird only showed Scarlet-backed and Orange-bellied reported since the year 2000. Or maybe I should leave it unidentified.

Help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_6547-crop.JPG
    IMG_6547-crop.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6580-crop.JPG
    IMG_6580-crop.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6581-crop.JPG
    IMG_6581-crop.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 31
I'm not sure what the Swiftlet is, although Plume-toed is perfectly feasible.

Re the other bird, isn't its bill a little too long and thin for a Flowerpecker? How are you ruling out a Sunbird species?

It could certainly be a Sunbird as I heard Brown-throated and saw Olive-backed Sunbirds there. The bill in the first photo seemed a bit shorter than a Sunbird but you are right about it being thin (especially in the 2nd photo). I thought the tail seemed more stubby than a Sunbird which led me to assuming it was a Flowerpecker.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back