• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lack of feeding? (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

I seem to be noticing a complete quiet period in feeding at the moment, my feeders have hardly been touched is there a explanation for this?
I would have thought with youngsters they would be scrounging everything they could get or is it a little early at the minute?

You'll probably find that there is suddenly lots of natural food around: insects, caterpillars, etc.

Don't worry about it, perhaps it's a good time to spring clean the feeders, and stop putting out so much food, so it's not getting stale before the birds get round to eating it. but keep putting some out so the birds know it's there if they want it.

I think a lot of birds, even normally seed-eating birds like finches, will turn to insects in the summer, particularly to feed their young. Same thing happens to me. A few tits and Robins are still taking some seeds but the Greenfinches and Goldfinches that were feeding in winter have gone and the feeders aren't needing to be filled so much. You could try putting out some mealworms at this time of year.

and whereas you might have had 30-40 individual tits, and the same number of finches, visiting your garden per day, you'll now have 1-2 pairs, as they're all on/near territory. Plus, half the population (females) will be spending about 2/3 of their time sitting on eggs.

Nothing is touching the sunflower seeds or peanuts at all. Still my favourite Mr Robin is always there so mealworms aplenty for him

Hi,

For the first time ever (that I can remember) I have a friendly Robin who is here daily and I thank him as I have less birds every year even the Collared Dove flock has gone and I am lucky if I see one. My regulars are a few House Sparrows (glad to have them back), a Dunnock and 2 Coal Tits, 2 Blue Tits, Male and Female Blackbird, all of which love the suet block I have hung outside the window. I also have a young Woodpigeon around, only when there is nothing else here so not sure if he is a bit ill or a loner but it can fly alright.

Yesterday I had the rare pleasure of seeing a tiny adult Wren, so small I couldn't see it on any of the photos I took.

Look after Mr Robin and enjoy his company as others have said please keep putting small amounts of food out you never know when a passing bird may need it and become a regular visitor and never forget fresh water.

Ann :-C:egghead:

The robins get special treatment every year with a insect seed which has mealworms and bits in it. They love it. The tits do aswell.
Things are looking up as i saw a greenfinch on the sunflower seed feeder today and a chaffinch.
So there you go a bit of warm weather and they are around. What was i worrying about:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back