• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dominican warbler I.D !!! (1 Viewer)

ESTEBANNIC

Hello!

Took this photo of a warbler (?) in the Dominican Republic a few days ago.
As I'm from Spain I'm hopeless with American species. Can someone help out??

Thanks

Steve B :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I see it is uncommon but not rare interested how uncommon it is - any DR birders here? It seems that it's another one of those badly named place name warblers (I assume the dominica part of it's latin name pertains to the DR).

Luke

Raffaele et al. lists the species as uncommon in DR, and their definition is "not seen on every trip, but seen at least twice per year". Re dominica in the scientific name, there could be some confusion with the place I live: an island in the Lesser Antilles also named for sunday :) However, yellow-throated warbler is not supposed to have been seen here so in this case DR probably is the reason.

HTH
Niels

Hi Niels,

Thanks for that info - well I guess it's about as regular as the Connecticut Warbler - I only recall one being reported this year in CT!

Luke

According to the book Wood Warblers' World by Hal H. Harrison, the specific name "dominica" does indeed come from Santo Domingo/Dominican Republic. The author states that Hispaniola used to be known as Santo Domingo and that's where the first specimen of this species was collected.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back