• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover, Loch Ryan, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Gordon

This bird was noticeably smaller than the other juvenile Ringed Plovers and the supercilium looked very different. Not seen in flight nor heard calling. Is it a "runt" Ringo?

thanks
Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_5524.JPG
    IMG_5524.JPG
    739.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    922.1 KB · Views: 125
Ringeds vary quite a bit in size, with arctic breeders noticeably smaller than UK breeders - and arctic origin juvs ought to be arriving here about now. So unless you hear a distinct Semipalmated call from it, best to assume Ringed.

Cheers. I was thinking about the Arctic birds but, being honest, hoped there might have been a slight prospect of something else. I'll say no more.

thanks
Gordon

Just googled semi palmated plover, apparently one of the best ways to seperate is to look at the lore band and where it reaches the bill...now not saying this is semipal but...

Maybe I need to see if I have any other pics but not clear about what you are suggesting. Ringed Plover lores continue on over the bill.

Last edited:
Sorry about that last post Shropshirelad63. I've just checked "Advanced Bird ID Guide" (forgot it was on my shelf!) and I now know what is meant.

cheers
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back