• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (4 Viewers)

Plenty of Cresties today in Feshiebridge and then had a Merlin a couple of metres from the car leant over to get the camera and lost it completely. Absolutely gutted!

When I first read this, Marcus, I thought you meant you'd lost your camera:eek!:

Great to see a Merlin though, especially so close.

D

When I first read this, Marcus, I thought you meant you'd lost your camera:eek!:

Great to see a Merlin though, especially so close.

D

Yeah I make these sort of mistakes often when writing on BF!

I get the Mickey taken frequently about some waxwings getting picked up by an ambulance on the Yorks thread - am sure Bitterntwisted will dig it out if he reads this.

Yeah I make these sort of mistakes often when writing on BF!

I get the Mickey taken frequently about some waxwings getting picked up by an ambulance on the Yorks thread - am sure Bitterntwisted will dig it out if he reads this.

I found it myself.... love it

the paramedics wheeled someone out of the house with the waxwings on a stretcher. They did not look well.

:-O:-O

That'll keep me giggling all dayB :)

D

Plenty of Cresties today in Feshiebridge and then had a Merlin a couple of metres from the car leant over to get the camera and lost it completely. Absolutely gutted!

Glad to read about the Cresties.I was up in Strathspey twice this year and didnt see one.I was thinking that the bad winter had a bad effect on them.

Glad to read about the Cresties.I was up in Strathspey twice this year and didnt see one.I was thinking that the bad winter had a bad effect on them.

I've seen plenty at Culbin, Blackfold, Feshiebridge. Don't know about other sites.

The last winter was typical of those previous to the last twenty years - how did those winters affect Cresties?

I've seen plenty at Culbin, Blackfold, Feshiebridge. Don't know about other sites.

The last winter was typical of those previous to the last twenty years - how did those winters affect Cresties?

Last winter was the worst winter in NE Scotland for decades and I would imagine it was one of the worst in the areas holding Cresties for a long time also.Then again,I could be wrong.

In fact last winter was the coldest since records began in North Scotland (2nd coldest in Scotland as a whole).

Ten coldest winters in Northern Scotland since 1910 according to the Met Office (average temp in Celsius):

2009-10 0.31
1978-79 0.51
1962-63 0.52
1946-47 0.73
1950-51 0.94
1940-41 0.96
1976-77 0.99
1985-86 1.1
1954-55 1.14
1935-36 1.15

According to the last breeding bird atlas, Crested Tits have shown a variable response to cold winters, with a 70% decline in 1946-47 but a 5.5% increase in 1981-82 (not in the top ten but still the fifth coldest in my lifetime).

Hi all, will be touring your area for a couple of weeks from 5th Sept looking forward to some good birding. Keep the updates coming.

Good birding all

We'll be birding the area for 3 days dawn to dusk, 13th - 15th Sept, i'll post anything of interest on here. Interesting record of a Firecrest in Rothiemurchus a few days ago, anyone know where? Loch an Eilean perhaps?

In fact last winter was the coldest since records began in North Scotland (2nd coldest in Scotland as a whole).

Ten coldest winters in Northern Scotland since 1910 according to the Met Office (average temp in Celsius):

2009-10 0.31
1978-79 0.51
1962-63 0.52
1946-47 0.73
1950-51 0.94
1940-41 0.96
1976-77 0.99
1985-86 1.1
1954-55 1.14
1935-36 1.15

According to the last breeding bird atlas, Crested Tits have shown a variable response to cold winters, with a 70% decline in 1946-47 but a 5.5% increase in 1981-82 (not in the top ten but still the fifth coldest in my lifetime).

Very Interesting stats Paul.

We'll be birding the area for 3 days dawn to dusk, 13th - 15th Sept, i'll post anything of interest on here. Interesting record of a Firecrest in Rothiemurchus a few days ago, anyone know where? Loch an Eilean perhaps?

Not heard anything, any more details of the sighting.............. it's a really good Highland record.

Last edited:

2009-10 0.31
1978-79 0.51
1962-63 0.52
1946-47 0.73
1950-51 0.94
1940-41 0.96
1976-77 0.99
1985-86 1.1
1954-55 1.14
1935-36 1.15

I can believe that! I still haven't warmed up......snow has already fallen on the hills again.

Two Goldies observed west of Lochindorb, one of which was a fantastic view some 30 metres way but only short lived. Goshawk in area to.

Two Goldies observed west of Lochindorb, one of which was a fantastic view some 30 metres way but only short lived. Goshawk in area to.

There's certainly been a 2nd year bird hanging round that area for a while now. I can guess the spot you saw it, had it there too at very close range, seems be hunting rabbits there.

Sad news today, more birds poisoned...........the killing of our raptors still goes on by these utter idiots who claim to be "managing" Scotland's countryside. They are a disgrace to the Highland community.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11204012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back