• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (6 Viewers)

Dave, I see on todays RBA that a Lesser Emperor Dragonfly was seen at Swan Pool. Can you confirm this?

Richard

A great odonata list yesterday for the reserve as per Wali Taylor:

Common Darter
Ruddy Darter
Southern Hawker
Brown Hawker
Black-tailed Skimmer
LESSER EMPEROR
Common Blue Damselfly
Blue-tailed Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Large Red Damselfly
Banded Demosielle

Last edited:
Year lists as of 21/7/18

A few changes this week with Pete,Rob and myself adding Green Sand and John adding Dunlin.

overall Valley year list on 135.

White Wagtail, Greenland Wheatear not included in totals

Dave Saunders -119 Green Sandpiper
Pete Hackett -111 Green Sandpiper
John Clarke -107 Dunlin
Rob Preston - 106 Green Sandpiper
Matt Hadlington -104 Redstart
Mel Jones -104 Spotted Flycatcher
Mike Ixer -103 Sedge Warbler
Craig Reed -98 Common Sandpiper
Hughie King-97 Yellow Legged Gull
Wali Taylor - 97 Barnacle Geese
Terry Parker -92 Reed Warbler
Dave Waite -92 Great Spotted Woodpecker
Carl Seabode -88 Sedge Warbler
Steve Lilly -86 Peregrine
Adrian Kirton -81 Buzzard
Tony Johnson -74 Lesser Whitethroat
Richard Eyres -74 Lesser Whitethroat
Pete Carless -65 Common Gull
Good Birding YAMYAM

Late news yesterday Cormorant x2, Peregrine, LRP and Common Sandpiper x2 per rspb

Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Green Sandpiper

Green Sandpiper was once a regular passage bird, but now days I would say it’s a scarce visitor. The first documented record I could find was a bird in March 1979. July August and September being the favoured months. We used to get wintering birds regular but with more disturbance in the Valley this is no more. This has made Green Sandpiper a hit and miss bird in the Valley. I would imagine most birders who visit regular have it on their list. The max count being 5 birds in August 2004.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back