• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern id. (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi Guys,

Would welcome any thoughts regarding this Tern, photographed today at Rye Harbour, Sussex.

In the group photo, I believe it is the right-most bird, partially hidden.

Thanks..... Ruby

Attachments

• Tern.jpg
    Tern.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Tern2.jpg
    Tern2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 287
Hi Ruby

Looks like a common tern to me : short tail, big head, two-colored bill although a bit dark, white top of the tail (for Forster's tern ;-))
But let's hear the experts
Regards

Guillaume

tom mckinney said:
I'd say Common Tern.

But what is the Tern on the left hand side in the group piccy? Looks a wee bit Roseate...

I've been looking at this for quite a bit and it does look like a Roseate (on the left) but if the one on the right is a common whats the one in the middle ?

tom mckinney said:
I'd say Common Tern.

But what is the Tern on the left hand side in the group piccy? Looks a wee bit Roseate...

Hi Tom,

Yes. That one is one of two Roseate Terns that I was looking at today....

The 'mystery' Tern is one that I was watching on a previous visit as well, when I was intrigued by its predominantly black bill with only red base (which my Collins guide suggests may be right for a Roseate in brreding, Summer condition) and the fact that it was quite solitary on that day.

Today, this bird did seem to be associating more with the Roseates than the Commons - which probably means something!! (I'm guessing that other Terns are probably better at id-ing Terns than I am!!!)

the bird said:
I've been looking at this for quite a bit and it does look like a Roseate (on the left) but if the one on the right is a common whats the one in the middle ?

The one in the middle is a Common Tern...

May just be a photo effect, but the upperparts of the RH bird look pale in colour and close to the LH (Roseate).... but this may just be that the wind is ruffling the feathers of the middle (Common) and making them look darker...

Hi Ruby, I saw a very dark billed Common Tern at Cemlyn Bay in Anglesey the other day - nothing other than a very dark bill to suggest anything other than Common.

In flight, the wings on your bird look quite broad which would suggest Common, but the angle it's flying at could be misleading. The dark trailing edge to the primaries is also quite broad - again suggesting Common.

I don't think it's a 1st year bird though - they wouldn't show a bill like this and there would be more dark on the wings.

Last edited:
Weak dark lesser covert bar. some blur at side of black head, tatty underparts, with white mixed with grey all makes this bird almost certainly a 2nd summer. Bill looks dark, but not uncommon in 2nd summer, varies. Moult contrast in wing, fresher inner, older outer primaries. Common Tern.
Nice with the Roseate Tern in 2nd pic.
JanJ

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

Nice couple of hours amongst the Terns anyway - and very pleased to get some good views of the Roseates.

Would recommend Rye Harbour to any Tern lovers at the moment... In addition to the species under discussion there are also many Sandwich Terns around

Attachments

• Tern 3.jpg
    Tern 3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 166
tom mckinney said:
Hi Ruby, I saw a very dark billed Common Tern at Cemlyn Bay in Anglesey the other day - nothing other than a very dark bill to suggest anything other than Common.

I too saw that bird at Cemlyn, took me quite a while to make my mind up it was a common, especially as i was looking for Roseate. When i did finally get on to the Roseate however it was really obvious, so for that reason i agree with everyone else that the bird in the picture is a Common. Also, if you compare it to the Roseate sitting next to it in the group photo, the mantle is quite a lot darker, and the size difference quite clear.

Dan

Last edited:
Though I usually advocate using a suite of characteristics to ID birds, the three European mid-sized terns are easily separable on their underwing patterns alone. The attached pic has the Common from above, a Roseate and an Artic. I find terns way easier to ID in flight than on the ground. Hard to describe in here is the differences in flight, but once you learn them they are ever so distinctive. Until you have seen enough to know that, make sure you see the underwing an pay attention to where the light shines through them. Its surprisingly easy.

Attachments

• tony.jpg
    tony.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Jane - that certainly sounds like a fantastic help....

Looking forward to getting out again and putting it into practice.

I spent a couple of hours today looking at 2*Roseate Terns which were quite active, but around and about pretty much the whole time, and I did start to find it quite easy after I'd got my eye in to pick them out from amongst large numbers of Common Terns similarly zooming about.

I think I was more going on general impression, rather than specific fieldmarks though...

Looking forward to finding some Arctic Terns to practice on.... them vs Commons has always been a bit of a problem for me...

All the best.... Ruby

Ruby said:
Looking forward to finding some Arctic Terns to practice on.... them vs Commons has always been a bit of a problem for me...

All the best.... Ruby

On Common terns also show the same contrast between the inner 4 primaries and the rest on the upper wing. You can see that in yuor pic too. Later in the year Roseates develop dark outer wings like Sandwich tern!

For picking out roseates here in the Caribbean, their flight reminds me more of little tern (rapid fluttering of wings) than of common (more purposefull wing movements). Btw, roseate and royal terns are the two species occurring quite commonly ;)

cheers
Niels

njlarsen said:
For picking out roseates here in the Caribbean, their flight reminds me more of little tern (rapid fluttering of wings) than of common (more purposefull wing movements). Btw, roseate and royal terns are the two species occurring quite commonly ;)

cheers
Niels

Spot on Niels!
JanJ

tom mckinney said:

I was also at cemlyn bay last week and am pretty sure i saw the same bid (obviously scanning the terns for roseate as one had been spotted recently) but again i put this particular bird down to a dark billed/ juvenile common tern, and no roseate was found!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back