• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Batumi - Autumn 2020..... (1 Viewer)

rollingthunder

England
Yes i know the Autumn festival and the ca10 week organised count has been officially cancelled.....otherwise i would be there now:C

I received notification whilst the Spring count was in progress which i thought was jumping the gun but i suppose the organisers took a decision that was best with regard to the logistics of the counters and the requirements of those counting. I feel sorry all round but particularly those residents of Sakhalvasho that have embraced the Batumi Raptor Count and opened up their houses for B+B to them and other visiting birders that wish to be ‘on the spot’. We spend a coupla weeks or so travelling in Georgia with a week stopping in Batumi itself as we do not drive and it also offers a range of local birding habitats including the nearby Chorokhi Delta:eek!:

I am merely making an enquiry as to whether anybody is actually going to view migration or knows of anybody/links to people that are viewing ‘unofficially’? Had WizzAir been flying from Luton and free movement allowed then i would have gone anyway but they are not. My Plan B was Tarifa with Sicily/Messina a close 3rd but prices jump around like a bad day at the Stock Exchange not helped by a Government that flipflops from one week to the next.

Any info appreciated - there must be a few mooching around. In the meantime i shall enquire on a couple of the Georgian guiding sites:t:

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Yes i know the Autumn festival and the ca10 week organised count has been officially cancelled.....otherwise i would be there now:C

Any info appreciated - there must be a few mooching around. In the meantime i shall enquire on a couple of the Georgian guiding sites:t:

You could try posting your request on the ‘Information Wanted’ or ‘Birds and Birding’ or even the Migration thread - it may get more views and responsex

(BTW I opened this thread expecting to read a report on this year’s migration at Batumi so it’s a bit disappointing to see (another!) Covid related cancellation of holiday plans!)

Last edited:
A close relative is on a (non-birding) trip to Italy at the moment, staying in the Cinque Terre national park after getting a cheap flight to Pisa then train. Feedback is public transport is fine (aside from some crowded local ferries), everyone wearing masks even outside, and Italy seemingly well organised and prepared. So maybe Italy will stay off the quarantine list and Messina would be possible?

Also, what about Falsterbo? Sweden seem to have gone full on herd immunity and survived, so doubt there would be any restrictions on travel there or what you can do when you arrive.

Sorry to disappoint Deb but i am there in spirit:t:

I still prefer to post on this thread as because very few people are able to travel it might get some attention - that’s my logic anyway. If i get anything from anybody i will put it here.....

Good birding -

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back