• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Fancy View/Symonds Yat -Forest of Dean (1 Viewer)

My annual visit this morning, 6 approx Goshawks seen from new fancy view but mainly distantly, also ravens, buzzards, peregrine, sparrowhawk. Fallow deer below.

8 hawfinches at 8am opposite speech house hotel but once disturbed they tend to move off.

Just one pair of mandarin at Cannop ponds first thing this morning.

A very enjoyable morning, but you definitely need a scope for the goshawks which can appear distantly away to your left, your right or straight ahead. It is worth checking for perched Goshawks in the conifer plantations, we found 2 today at different times.

My annual visit this morning, 6 approx Goshawks seen from new fancy view but mainly distantly, also ravens, buzzards, peregrine, sparrowhawk. Fallow deer below.

8 hawfinches at 8am opposite speech house hotel but once disturbed they tend to move off.

Just one pair of mandarin at Cannop ponds first thing this morning.

A very enjoyable morning, but you definitely need a scope for the goshawks which can appear distantly away to your left, your right or straight ahead. It is worth checking for perched Goshawks in the conifer plantations, we found 2 today at different times.

Hi Wolfbirder

Remember me, as a semi-newish birder still, saying to you that Goshawk was a high priority ? Well not any longer, as my first ever trip to New Fancy View yesterday was all that I had hoped for. With other more experienced birders to help on the id-front, between 10am and 2.45pm, we had at least ten Goshawk sightings - mainly distant like you, but one or two birds did come within maybe 200-300 metres ... and again like you on Sunday, two birds perched up when the sun moved round late morning/early afternoon.

Earlier, four Hawfinch were in the woodland near the paddock next to the school at Speech House at 8am ... and wild boar family-parties were both opposite the Boys Grave car-park and below New Fancy View. Adder were showing well on the little walk up to NFV too, though I did have to suggest to one couple that they may care to stand back as "Fido" was getting rather close !

As you say, New Fancy is a cracking viewpoint provided you have a decent scope AND that you choose the 'right' weather ... yesterday was quite sunny and 'still' for much of the time, after that mild overnight frost which was forecast. Gos sightings dropped off markedly after middayish, so getting there early would be another 'essential' from yesterday's experience ... though one or two there have previously had good views well into the late afternoon.

Cheers

Andy R.

Hi Wolfbirder

Remember me, as a semi-newish birder still, saying to you that Goshawk was a high priority ? Well not any longer, as my first ever trip to New Fancy View yesterday was all that I had hoped for. With other more experienced birders to help on the id-front, between 10am and 2.45pm, we had at least ten Goshawk sightings - mainly distant like you, but one or two birds did come within maybe 200-300 metres ... and again like you on Sunday, two birds perched up when the sun moved round late morning/early afternoon.

Earlier, four Hawfinch were in the woodland near the paddock next to the school at Speech House at 8am ... and wild boar family-parties were both opposite the Boys Grave car-park and below New Fancy View. Adder were showing well on the little walk up to NFV too, though I did have to suggest to one couple that they may care to stand back as "Fido" was getting rather close !

As you say, New Fancy is a cracking viewpoint provided you have a decent scope AND that you choose the 'right' weather ... yesterday was quite sunny and 'still' for much of the time, after that mild overnight frost which was forecast. Gos sightings dropped off markedly after middayish, so getting there early would be another 'essential' from yesterday's experience ... though one or two there have previously had good views well into the late afternoon.

Cheers

Andy R.

Hi Andy

Yes mate I recall meeting you and chatting watching the Cannock Chase Hawfinches a year or two back. Then we couldn't quite fix a date to go due to holidays etc, though I know I eventually went at very short notice.

Really pleased you had such a wonderful day mate, seems few others are enthused judging by the lack of activity on this thread. Having said that everyone knows about New Fancy View anyway.

The Gos's are simply awesome aren't they, and I ensure I enjoy a day there at least once a year. I never tire of seeing them. There are usually others to help at this time of year, though they are so distinctive even at distance. Its especially pleasing when the light angle is good and they come just that little bit closer.

Seems like you connected with all the goodies! Pleased for you mate :t:

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Yes mate I recall meeting you and chatting watching the Cannock Chase Hawfinches a year or two back. Then we couldn't quite fix a date to go due to holidays etc, though I know I eventually went at very short notice.

Really pleased you had such a wonderful day mate, seems few others are enthused judging by the lack of activity on this thread. Having said that everyone knows about New Fancy View anyway.

The Gos's are simply awesome aren't they, and I ensure I enjoy a day there at least once a year. I never tire of seeing them. There are usually others to help at this time of year, though they are so distinctive even at distance. Its especially pleasing when the light angle is good and they come just that little bit closer.

Seems like you connected with all the goodies! Pleased for you mate :t:

I tell you what ... I seen to remember that you I think, as well as others since, told me that once you have seen several Goshawk, as I have now of course, you can't really mistake them for anything else ... eg female Sparrowhawk. Somebody summed it up ... "Gos is a big, mean looking predator ... you wouldn't want to pick a fight with 'em !"

Cheers

Andy R.

Hi Guys, I was at RSPB Middleton Lakes on Friday and bumped into a guy who told me about Goshawks at New Fancy View. Having done a bit of a search I have found this thread and reckon an early visit is a must. What is the present score and what is about.
Really appreciate some feedback.
DavidM
http://gallery.me.com/david.melville

Hi Guys, I was at RSPB Middleton Lakes on Friday and bumped into a guy who told me about Goshawks at New Fancy View. Having done a bit of a search I have found this thread and reckon an early visit is a must. What is the present score and what is about.
Really appreciate some feedback.
DavidM
http://gallery.me.com/david.melville

Dave

I am not local to New Fancy view but you must get yourself up there on a nice spring day when they are displaying and relatively active, in summer they are not half as easy to see. So from late March (as long as its realtively warm and sunny) through to early May (tho it tails off) is the prime time, but beware even then the birds can be frutratingly distant. U need a scope.

Elsewhere, possible hawfinches at speech house early morning, or by parkend church. Mandarin at cannop ponds. Plenty of other woodland species abound. Some years great grey shrike and wild boar. Ask locals when present and check websites.

Up to 4 Goshawks showing well at New Fancy View on Saturday 3rd March, plus two giving good views at Symonds Yat. Anyone thirsty for Gos should get up there pronto.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back