• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Sunday morning , sunny and clear Holt , redwings and greenfinches in the churchyard with both sparrowhawk and kestrel watching . Grimley village all common thrushes seen in and around the yew trees with again sparrowhawk and kestrel present. A grey wagtail Church Farm pools very scarce for me at Grimley this year, with the lock being the only other location i've seen one .
Camp Lane Pits didn't see the female goldeneyes, but 5 pochard and 20+ wigeon present ,although duck numbers seem lower than usual as was coot and grebes. Kingfisher south end with 3 calling water rail. 2 ravens seem to be setting up territory over the wood west of the pits and M and F stonechat North causeway.
2 annoying pipits kept flying around in silence but i couldn't get a good enough view of them for an I D.
There may be a hawfinch at Holt ,high trees that run south of the castle, bird seen twice now, but can't confirm.

Attachments

• P1010937.JPG
    P1010937.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P1010940.JPG
    P1010940.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010934.JPG
    P1010934.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 23
Sunday morning ,overcast but dry , after hearing that first the American wigeon female was back at Wagon Wheel [last year arrived on the 15th October], and 2 red headed smew were at Holt, it was off to the latter first. The 2 young male smew were on the Holt fishing pool ,right hand side of the lane , and showing well although distant ,and I returned later in the day [1pm] for photo.
Camp lane pits, stonechat church farm meadows close to the car, the Pits held 2 goldeneye, 4 shelduck over 100 lapwing but couldn't see or hear any wigeon . So after a very brief scan headed for W.Wheel. On the way a sparrowhawk took a redwing on the wing but then i think lost it as it appeared again empty clawed.
The American Wigeon was a tad more difficult but after scanning approx 60 wigeon twice found it asleep on the far shore North W.W. What was even better it was a first for the birder I was with Carl, good one mate.

Attachments

• P1010958.JPG
    P1010958.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010961.JPG
    P1010961.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010951.JPG
    P1010951.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 33
Lovely walk around Camp Lane in the sunshine this morning, after a brief diversion to Holt for the two Smew, still on the fishing pool as noted in Jim's post above. Speaking to a couple of birders who were already present, they commented that the birds have noticeably moulted into winter plumage even during this week. One of the birds in particular is much whiter than in the photos posted last weekend. Hopefully they'll stick around if that pool is full of fish.

Two Egyptian Geese flew low over us heading south as we parked up at the fishing pool.

Camp Lane - no great surprises but good numbers of what we did see. Plenty of Gadwall, Shoveler, Teal, Cormorant, Lapwing. Stonechat x2. Redwing but no Fieldfare.

Had half an hour at Wagon Wheel looking for the American Wigeon but no sign. Birders departing as we arrived hadn't found it either.

Sunday morning Holt, 8am the 2 smew we’re not present ,but on a return visit later at 1pm both were present and both have nearly lost their red heads. A green sandpiper was on sling pool ,which has now started to flood over its bank.
Camp lane pits , about 60 wigeon were spread out over the main pool with the American female on the East shore . 3 female goldeneye were feeding by the submerged fence and on reaching the south causeway was told that a cetti,s warbler had been heard and a Siberian chiffchaff photographed. I did see a chiffchaff but the 2 fore mentioned birds stayed hidden .

Popped down to Holt to see the 2 male Smew this morning, arrived in a downpour, but after visiting CLP for the American Wigeon, which had been reported earlier, without success,mainly due to Perigrine over. Returned in sunshine and managed a few record shots. They have matured very quickly and treated us to some synchranized diving/fishing. A couple of pics below, one showing a fairly large fish.
Richard

Attachments

• DSCF8187.JPG
    DSCF8187.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF8194.JPG
    DSCF8194.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF8190.JPG
    DSCF8190.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Sunday afternoon ,clear and a bit windy Camp Lane pits, the female American wigeon remains on the main pit. 2 whopper swans were also present and were still there when I left at 4:30pm. South end failed to hear or see the cetti's warbler , no surprise , but 2 chiffchaff and a party of 6+ long tailed tits past through the bulrushes . Water rails heard and on leaving a small group of fieldfares came into roost.

Attachments

• P1010972.JPG
    P1010972.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 9
Sunday morning after a stormy cold day and Saturday night , calm and early morning sun ,went straight to south end camp lane but after an hour all quiet and no small birds seen or heard, only a startled water rail. The yew tree at the Camp pub is now devoid of berries so it was a walk upstream. River at normal level and uncoloured despite the recent weather and kingfisher seen and 2 raven over.
Blackcap in the village with a group of 6greenfinches by the church. 50+skylark in the adjacent field behind church
Wagon wheel good numbers of wigeon (150+)
Holt/sling 2 smew still 12:30.

Monday morning camp lane pits 2 female goldeneye still . Wagon wheel river flash held plenty of birds and species but nothing unusual. Holt the 2 smew were not present when I arrived around 1 o clock but may return when it becomes quieter later.

Monday morning camp lane pits 2 female goldeneye still . Wagon wheel river flash held plenty of birds and species but nothing unusual. Holt the 2 smew were not present when I arrived around 1 o clock but may return when it becomes quieter later.

I understand they were on the river flash at the bottom of Wagon Wheel Lane

Thursday morning first light at wagon wheel river flash, 2 male smew and a male and female goosander. Both species left at approx 8:45am , leaving pochard ,shoveller tufted a few teal , mallard, gadwall, wigeon + the American wigeon I think, but very distant and in poor light , black headed, and a few herring and lbb gulls.
Camp lane , goosander female and 2 female goldeneye mid main pit ,water rails calling south west shore and a pair of stonechat south east shore bulrushes.
Holt , Grebe Pool [right side lane] 2male smew showing well at 1;30pm and couldn't resist a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• P1010984.JPG
    P1010984.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010982.JPG
    P1010982.JPG
    403.7 KB · Views: 18
I have just looked on Worcester Birding and saw that a Water Pipit has been seen for the last few days at Wagon Wheel Lane flash- could someone tell me how to get to where this bird has been seen (e.g. is it near to Wagon Wheel Lane Pits)?

Many thanks,

Chris

Go past wagon wheel pub follow the road which will turn into a dirt track down to the river 400m, river flash on left .

Last edited:
Friday morning mission marsh tit. 2 stonechats near to where park car in brambles upper church farm meadows. On the way to grimley brook 33 linnet on wires. Marsh tits seen at last on bird feeders viewed from the gate , a patch tick for the year. 3 great spotted woodpeckers + green , nuthatch, treecreeper and coal tit also seen here.
Wagon wheel North 5 herons ,South 600+ Canada geese and 2 Egyptians .
Wagon wheel river flash didn’t see the water pipit while I was there 10-11am but it had been seen earlier. American female with wigeon flock which left for camp lane at 10:45am. Sparrowhawk took a pied wagtail.
Camp Lane American wigeon east shore under dead trees , 2goldeneyes still ,3 chiffchaff south end bulrushes

Spent the morning at Grimley today and saw 44 species overall, with highlights being a male Pintail on Wagon Wheel Lane Flash and a drake Smew on Wagon Wheel Lane Pits which took flight several times and finally left.

Chris

Having had a morning walk around Devils Spitleful NR highlights 100 lesser redpoll and 2 yellowhammers i thought i'd just conclude with a summary of 2018 grimley/holt.
127 species seen + the marbled duck ,17 species missed that I know of recorded by other local birders. New for me 2018--- Hawfinch ,kittiwake,great black-backed gull, spotted redshank, whinchat, eygptian goose and cattle egret.
Garden warbler is not on the missed list as i dont think anyone saw or heard this species at Grimley over the year , in fact all common species of warbler with the exception of sedge and reed seemed scarce this year, heard 1 singing willow warbler.
So 5 species up on last year but with very different lists seen , which makes it all the more exciting for the year to come. As I started this year i hope to see 100 species, and beat it again if possible in 2019 and if anyone is still reading this have a happy New Year and good birding in the future.

if anyone is still reading this have a happy New Year and good birding in the future.

Thanks for your advice and expertise on the couple of occasions we've met this year, Jim. Happy New Year.

If the Smew have finally moved on from Holt, Arrow Valley Lake is going to be overrun tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back