• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (7 Viewers)

Can't deny that it does attract some undesirables, but I know the RSPB are doing a lot to detract anti-social behaviour and get the locals more interested in the reserve. They are starting a new project this year to re-build the visitors centre and more info (and donations)for the project can be found here if anyone is interested. -

https://spacehive.com/breathingnewlifeintosandwellvalley

I hope they do get the visitor centre sorted out, might get a few more people down there. As for the comment about it being a dump......no it isn't a dump, theres some decent habitat down there it just needs tidying up a bit.

@Steve Zodiac I will be visiting very shortly once I get back home and will be updating with a indepth report of my visit but I did mention earlier in this thread how untidy it was generally but I do know that they (the volunteers) are doing the best they can with limited resources.

This could be a great little reserve if it was given the money that other reserves belonging to the RSPB have been given recently, I think having the hide closed on Thursdays & Mondays (especially on bank holidays) doesn't help.

Better signage guiding visitors to the reserve and around the reserve would help and better updates from the reserve via face book, twitter and here would be a great help so people can actually see what's going on at the reserve.

I must admit I do like the place overall and would return more often but have problems with the local public transport.

Forge mill lake this afternoon (Sat 6/7/13)

2 Oystercatchers
3 Common Terns
1 Buzzard
1 Kingfisher
8 Pochard
16 Swifts
10+ Reed Warblers
3 Garden Warblers
2 Chiffchaffs
1 Blackcap
1 Cormorant

If anyone is planning going to the valley tomorrow...be warned, it will be packed with walkers, cyclists, picnickers, kids and adults playing in the river, barbequers etc etc......coz thats what it was like today.

Forge mill lake this afternoon (Sat 6/7/13)

2 Oystercatchers
3 Common Terns
1 Buzzard
1 Kingfisher
8 Pochard
16 Swifts
10+ Reed Warblers
3 Garden Warblers
2 Chiffchaffs
1 Blackcap
1 Cormorant

If anyone is planning going to the valley tomorrow...be warned, it will be packed with walkers, cyclists, picnickers, kids and adults playing in the river, barbequers etc etc......coz thats what it was like today.

Hi Steve - what breeding activity was there? (avian, not human)

Hi Steve - what breeding activity was there? (avian, not human)

I didn't see any Oystercatcher chicks but I overheard a conversation in the hide to the effect that a pair had bred.

Broods of Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Lapwing. Several Reed Warblers seen carrying food into reedbed.

The Cetti's Warbler hasn't been heard singing for several days.

With the amount of disturbance around Forge Mill lake today its a wonder there were any birds there at all. The highlight though was a woman in an orange bikini swimming in the river.......I thought it rude to watch through my binoculars :-O

I didn't see any Oystercatcher chicks but I overheard a conversation in the hide to the effect that a pair had bred.

Broods of Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Lapwing. Several Reed Warblers seen carrying food into reedbed.

The Cetti's Warbler hasn't been heard singing for several days.

With the amount of disturbance around Forge Mill lake today its a wonder there were any birds there at all. The highlight though was a woman in an orange bikini swimming in the river.......I thought it rude to watch through my binoculars :-O

Are you sure it wasn't the RED BREASTED variety......will be if this sun keeps up......Hmm...I'm due a visit to the valley......now where's me bins...:-O :-O

Keith :t:

2 hour visit this morning. Very very quiet. 30/35 lapwing, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Little grebe, 2 G-C-Grebe, 2 Stock Dove, 1 willow warbler, Reed Warbler with young at least 4 birds but probably more, I young Blackcap, 1 female Bullfinch, 3 chaffinch 6/7 Swift.

No idea Steve. I like to do my birding very early in the morning to keep the missus sweet so I rarely see another birder anywhere!

Not sure who got the Med Gull, but there is a photo of it on one of the Tern Rafts been posted on Twitter. Its been quiet of late but a bit livelier today: Plenty of Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff & Blackcap foraging, early Shoveler on Forge Mill lake, 2 Snipe who appeared on the RSPB Island, a Sprawk causing mass consternation amongst the Gulls and Lapwings and best of all a Swallow chasing Hobby over Forge Mill Farm.

Visited the Valley yesterday. Pete the Snipe got the photo of the Med Gull on the raft. Of note Snipe, Sparrowhawk, Kingfisher, Buzzard, 2 broods of Tufted Duck & mixed flock of House & Sand martins. Good banter with Pete the Snipe, Alan, Ben & Dave Waite of Sheepwash fame.

Cheers Hughie.

Early morning visit today which was most enjoyable. Highlight was good views of two hobbys together. They flew over the feeding station near the car park while I was waiting for the LSW to make an appearance on the dead tree by the farm (it escaped me). The walk by the river was rewarding especially the heavy reed beds at the south end of the pools. Kingfisher, Little Grebe and Water Rail showed well. Good numbers of House & Sandmartins, Swallow and Swift. Caught a glimpse of the GW Egret skullking in a reed channel but otherwise uncooperative. Kestrel, Buzzard, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Chiffchaff were also on duty. Pleased to see the progress made on the hide and look foward to visiting again soon.

Early morning visit today which was most enjoyable. Highlight was good views of two hobbys together. They flew over the feeding station near the car park while I was waiting for the LSW to make an appearance on the dead tree by the farm (it escaped me). The walk by the river was rewarding especially the heavy reed beds at the south end of the pools. Kingfisher, Little Grebe and Water Rail showed well. Good numbers of House & Sandmartins, Swallow and Swift. Caught a glimpse of the GW Egret skullking in a reed channel but otherwise uncooperative. Kestrel, Buzzard, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Chiffchaff were also on duty. Pleased to see the progress made on the hide and look foward to visiting again soon.
I presume this report refers to Middleton Lakes otherwise Sandwell Valley has improved somewhat.
Geoff

Middleton Lakes

THIS REPORT REFERS TO RSPB MIDDLETON LAKES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back