• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paxton-pits - St Neots (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I have posted in this area of the Forum so I thought I would add this as part of my local area for interest.

I have been looking through some of the paperwork we got from the Bird Fair 2008, and another place of interest has cropped up and as it is local we will pop in for a visit. A short car trip is all it takes.

Here is the link

http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk

It is well, worth a visit and from what I understand there is a lot of work to be done to this area so it will be interesting what becomes of this area in the near future. There is going to be a large extension to the existing area, so that will mean more reserve space and that will make it more interesting as there is a lot of water ways nearby to observe.

http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk/northern.htm

The reserve itself is being extended from 192 acres to over 700 acres over the next decade - good news. This campaign has been ongoing since 2002.

Any other information on this area will be appreciated too.

Kathy
x

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to go to Paxton Pits last year with a small group of freinds and would certainly recommend it to any body who was interested in going! There are quite a few different habitats to see in such a 'small' area; there should be something for everybody! I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear that the site will be increased by so many acres. I will try to organise another trip with freinds fairly soon. Thank you for the links!
The locals were very freindly as well! Those we spoke to were only too pleased to point different things out which really helped to make the day special. Thanks to all of them too!
Are there any campsites nearby? I would love to stay over and spend more time on the reserve!

All the very best,

Reg

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to go to Paxton Pits last year with a small group of freinds and would certainly recommend it to any body who was interested in going! There are quite a few different habitats to see in such a 'small' area; there should be something for everybody! I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear that the site will be increased by so many acres. I will try to organise another trip with freinds fairly soon. Thank you for the links!
The locals were very freindly as well! Those we spoke to were only too pleased to point different things out which really helped to make the day special. Thanks to all of them too!
Are there any campsites nearby? I would love to stay over and spend more time on the reserve!

All the very best,

Reg

Hi Reg

Thank you for you informative answer. It is good to know that there are likeminded people who have good words to add about a nature reserve. It makes all the difference if the locals are friendly too.

It is good that the area is being expanded, and the area seems so suitable as there is a lot of water ways around too. just the place for a lot of birdwatching. o:)

I cannot help you with recommended campsites as such, but I have added a link instead, that I am sure you will find useful in your travels to St Neots. There will be someone who will recommend a place for you to stay.

Here is the link.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=St Neots

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Agreed, Paxton Pits is well worth a visit - but make sure you take your wellies! Fen Drayton nearby also very good.

Hi Kathy!

Many thanks for the link! I hope to start making plans for our next visit when I return to work tomorrow. If you like I will let you know when we are going up, maybe you might like to join us for a days 'birding'?

All the very best

Reg.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back