• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear in Greenland. (1 Viewer)

jhopkins

I was recently staying at Ilulissat on the W. coast of Greenland and was surprised to have several sightings of apparently the same N. Wheatear around my hotel. The sightings were on 16th & 18th October...during this period day temperatures were no higher than 0C and night-time temperatures were down to -8C plus considerable wind-chill...there was also 5+ cms of snowfall. Is this a normal record? and, if so, how do the birds find food...and when do they leave?

It is leaving it a bit late!Just seen a Wheatear today in Cumbria but they can be seen here late October.
Out of interest have you ever seen a Redwing there?
We visited the east coast on a cruise a few years ago and I saw a Redwing.I was told they were not recorded there but it was a redwing without doubt.

It is leaving it a bit late!Just seen a Wheatear today in Cumbria but they can be seen here late October.
We visited the east coast on a cruise a few years ago and I saw a Redwing.I was told they were not recorded there but it was a redwing without doubt.

We were only visiting on a short trip..our first visit...and the Wheatear was our only passerine! I think your Redwing record sounds OK....I found this through Google.....

"Also breeds Southern Greenland, where the Qaqortoq area was colonised in 1990–1991."

As for our Wheatear, I don't see how it can build up enough fat reserves for a long migratory flight now, so I suspect it will perish.

I think you'd be surprised how they can find food as long as there's no snow. There will still be insect larvae to be had in plenty I would think even though no airborne insects to be seen.

How do Blackcaps and Chiffchaff overwinter in the UK and mainly insectivorous birds like Blue Tits are resident but they manage.

Andy

Redwing is a regular visitor to the south-east (and locally common in the SW) and we found the first breeding pair for SE Greenland in Kulusuk in 2009. Where did you see yours?

As for the Wheatear, then they are very scarce by mid-October in Iceland and so doubly so I suspect in a place like Ilulissat.

Redwing is a regular visitor to the south-east (and locally common in the SW) and we found the first breeding pair for SE Greenland in Kulusuk in 2009. Where did you see yours?

As for the Wheatear, then they are very scarce by mid-October in Iceland and so doubly so I suspect in a place like Ilulissat.

We were in Ammasillik[?]-on a cruise to south east Greenland.
So I wasn't going mad?
There were a few birdwatchers on the cruise who were sceptical.
None of us were experts but the distribution map in our book said,'no'.
We had a wonderful cruise through Cap Dan on the way back and saw an astonishing number of birds as we sailed through the icebergs.
Great memories!

We were in Ammasillik[?]-on a cruise to south east Greenland.
So I wasn't going mad?
There were a few birdwatchers on the cruise who were sceptical.
None of us were experts but the distribution map in our book said,'no'.
We had a wonderful cruise through Cap Dan on the way back and saw an astonishing number of birds as we sailed through the icebergs.
Great memories!

No, you weren't going mad. I was surprised to see them there too though. One flew over the road in front of me as I walked from the airport to Kulusuk and even though I knew full well what it was (I see Redwings 365 days a year in Iceland) I spent a long time looking for it again to confirm it as I didn't think they should be there. I then found out that they are scarce but regular in the Ammassalik (Greenlandic place names can be a nightmare to spell) district.

There can't have been many bird watchers who have made it to Greenland.
Have you ever been to Greenland on a ship?
The crossing was the most memorable se watching experience in my life.
What is the state of Puffin numbers in Iceland now.
When we went[2008] there were incredible numbers especially along the north coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back