• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpigeons attempting to mate today, in Norfolk, UK. (1 Viewer)

mark clements

As I was driving back home from Norfolk coast, at Holme, woodpigeons were attempting (or succeeding, how can I tell?) to mate...
This seems well out of season from memory, we have many, regular, wood pigeon breeding in an around home, one late successful in 2016 left the nest in early October.
2.30 pm 30th December, about 8 deg C and a bit of sun, following lots of rain.
Any comments welcomed
thank you
Harry

Woodies are renowned for breeding (or attempting) year-round, with variable success!

Not the sharpest tacks in the bird-drawer ........ but judging by the huge numbers flying around here at the moment, not completely without success in this strategy.

Thank you for the prompt reply,
I do recognize their overwhelming desire.... but haven't noticed them 'performing' in late Dec / early Jan before... our hedge is a favourite site and we enjoy the mid winter lull.
Harry

They've been going at it like - well, pigeons - round here every day for weeks, including today. Their strategy seems to be keep going year-round and if you lose the odd brood you'll gain others.

John

Saw a newly-fledged juvenile (barely able to fly) for a yeartick on 1 January a couple of years ago.

And an adult incubating a nest in late December on one of my BTO winter atlas counts a few years back.

Had Stock Dove male displaying to a female on the 20th December in Crail, Fife. She flew off however, so no idea if he was successful in the end or not.

Heard a blackbird singing its heart out in the garden on Sunday. Female did not seem too impressed however and continued her foraging on the grass without a second glance.

I saw two collared doves having a go today!
With a guess I would Imagine it would have been just over 20 years ago on the 31st of december that I remember a collarded dove sitting on her Nest in a hawthorn tree where I used to work, I don,t know the outcome or breeding success of this attempt but its the latest breeding record of any of the dove family I have witnessed in the uk.

As noted on another thread, I had a Corn Bunting singing on downland on 29th December, having had them singing there in late November 2016.

As noted on another thread, I had a Corn Bunting singing on downland on 29th December, having had them singing there in late November 2016.
Your very lucky to still have corn bunting where ever that may be, they have disappeared completely from around where I live, thou always a rare breeder we used to get big winter flocks of them which is now just a distant memory.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back