Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old and Vintage binoculars Catalogs, Catalogues & Brochures Resource now posted

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 6th November 2018, 17:08   #1
bigfield

Old and Vintage binoculars Catalogs, Catalogues & Brochures Resource now posted

As the the not for profit binoculars research website www.miniaturebinoculars.com has continued to grow (approaching 13,000 photos, probably around 800 or 900 screen pages, approaching 11 million page views) I have recently added a large research section of old and vintage catalogs of binoculars, and with the newest updates that I am posting this week (11/5/2018) I will have posted 1,155 scanned catalog pages of all types of binoculars from 83 different catalogs dating from 1913 to the 1970's, and showing a large number of brands and powers and types/patterns of binoculars (plus some monoculars, telescopes, spotting scopes, rifle scopes whenever they happen to have been in the catalogs). These are displayed as PDFs that can be accessed by the scroll down index pages "Research Materials #1", "Research Materials #2", and "Research materials #3", and are intended for anyone trying to research any old or vintage binoculars through primary source materials. These scans include distribution and manufacturer catalogs and brochures, and presently encompass US, UK, French, Italian, Australian, German and Japanese market materials. It is really hard to beat having open free access to original source materials, and even in this internet age it really hasn't been previously available for vintage binoculars. More vintage catalogs are being added as quickly as they can be purchased around the world at a reasonable cost, or are donated to the effort, or can be borrowed to be scanned for this effort. If anybody has pre-1980's catalogs or brochures of binoculars that should be included in this effort, please contact me through the website. Among some of the catalogs I would particularly like to add but that I can't seem to locate would be some pre-1980's Japanese and Spanish language binoculars catalogs, if anybody can help with that. I am already having good fun seeing how large and expansive I can make this resource, though the scanning itself is quite tedious.
Mark
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 08:43   #2
John A Roberts

Hi Mark,

What a tremendous accomplishment! The catalogue section is a great resource that I've been making regular use of since you first posted about it in May.
Congratulations on your fine effort and the philosophy behind it.

John

p.s. for those interested in early Zeiss binoculars, Zeiss Historica has a set of catalogues dating from 1894 to 1905!, at: http://zeisshistoricasociety.org/binocular-catalog/

Last edited by John A Roberts : Wednesday 7th November 2018 at 08:57.
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 14:02   #3
Foss

Hi Mark,
I too appreciate the great work you've been doing to amass the catalogue and other sections on your web site.
Jack
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 19:29   #4
elkcub
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfield View Post
As the the not for profit binoculars research website www.miniaturebinoculars.com has continued to grow (approaching 13,000 photos, probably around 800 or 900 screen pages, approaching 11 million page views) I have recently added a large research section of old and vintage catalogs of binoculars, and with the newest updates that I am posting this week (11/5/2018) I will have posted 1,155 scanned catalog pages of all types of binoculars from 83 different catalogs dating from 1913 to the 1970's, and showing a large number of brands and powers and types/patterns of binoculars (plus some monoculars, telescopes, spotting scopes, rifle scopes whenever they happen to have been in the catalogs). These are displayed as PDFs that can be accessed by the scroll down index pages "Research Materials #1", "Research Materials #2", and "Research materials #3", and are intended for anyone trying to research any old or vintage binoculars through primary source materials. These scans include distribution and manufacturer catalogs and brochures, and presently encompass US, UK, French, Italian, Australian, German and Japanese market materials. It is really hard to beat having open free access to original source materials, and even in this internet age it really hasn't been previously available for vintage binoculars. More vintage catalogs are being added as quickly as they can be purchased around the world at a reasonable cost, or are donated to the effort, or can be borrowed to be scanned for this effort. If anybody has pre-1980's catalogs or brochures of binoculars that should be included in this effort, please contact me through the website. Among some of the catalogs I would particularly like to add but that I can't seem to locate would be some pre-1980's Japanese and Spanish language binoculars catalogs, if anybody can help with that. I am already having good fun seeing how large and expansive I can make this resource, though the scanning itself is quite tedious.
Mark
Hi Mark,

You might wish to include the 1995 Eagle Optics catalog that I posted HERE in August 2012. Quite a few people have commented about how useful it is.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th December 2018, 00:06   #5
Nixterdemus

- RESEARCH MATERIALS #1

1934 DuMaurier Catalogue ( USA ) Full catalogue: 20 scans/ 40 pages Brand(s): DuMaurier, Busch, Lemaire binoculars Contents shown: binoculars,
telescopes, microscopes
No link comes up. Only a gif of where you click/click to view.
-
ETA: Busted link though hot-link works. Type the URL by using the same format as the links that work. When you move your mouse over them you'll see the link highlighted at the left corner of your screen. Modify/replace the catalogue URL for the 1934DUMAURIERCATALOGUE

Naturally that will not work for catalogue links under construction.

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom

Last edited by Nixterdemus : Monday 24th December 2018 at 12:40.
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 01:08   #6
John A Roberts

UPDATE - Even More Information

Since Marks post in November, considerably more flyers/ pamphlets/ brochures/ catalogues have been added to the Miniature Binoculars site

Manufacturers range from Agfa to Zeiss, and the documents variously date from 1906 with Voigtlander to 1984 with Pentax

This is clearly the number one starting point for anyone looking for primary historical data from manufacturers

See the navigation screen on the right hand side of the page: http://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/part1/Page2725.htm
and go to the 5 pages under Research Materials

Mark, yet again congratulations on such a great accomplishment

John
Old Wednesday 12th June 2019, 01:15   #7
John A Roberts

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Not to hijack Mark’s thread, but to provide a one stop starting point for some additional resources . . .

ZEISS
Holga Merlitz has posted a series of catalogues ranging from 1912 to 1985 (the post-WWII catalogues are from Carl Zeiss Jena),
along with a Docter Optic leaflet from c.1990, see: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/binoculars_english.html

And a copy of a 1952 CZJ catalogue (in German) can be found here: http://www.fernglas-vitrine.de/katalog_czj_1952.htm

n.b. In post #2 I provided a link to a series of catalogues dating from 1894 to 1905 at the Zeiss Historica website
Since then the site has ceased to exist, and the pages do not appear to be available elsewhere!

LEITZ
Multiple pages from a 1981 Leitz catalogue (in German) can be found here thanks to Elmer Fudd (see posts 14, 15 & 16):
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308581

SWAROVSKI
Gijs van Ginkel’s 93 page 12 MB monograph on Swarovski Optik includes various pages from 1952 to 1959 flyers,
go to ‘History and quality development of Swarovski Optik 1935-present time’ at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verre...n-vergelijken/

NIKON
I’ve previously posted and linked to various information about Nikon binoculars, with emphasis on Porro prism models (including brochures from 1951 on),
see here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=373557

EAGLE OPTICS
Ed in post #4 above has linked to the 40 page EO catalogue from 1995. It includes information on all the then major brands

MORE RECENT INFORMATION
I’ve previously linked to various early- to mid-2000 catalogues here:
- Swarovski: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=374015

- Leica: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=374018

- Zeiss: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=374015
along with a 2006 Zeiss FL x56 brochure downloaded here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369170

So lots of possibilities for those interested!

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Wednesday 12th June 2019 at 09:37.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: