Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Buying second hand binoculars. Where?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 15:20   #1
Tomly
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 27
Buying second hand binoculars. Where?

Other Ebay and the For Sale forum here - where do people look for second hand binoculars?

I’m starting my search for a used pair of 7x42s (of some variety). I’m a schoolteacher so I’m certainly looking sub-alpha (or vintage alpha) and hoping that broadening my search might yield a better deal.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tomly : Tuesday 27th November 2018 at 15:38.
Tomly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 15:51   #2
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomly View Post
Other Ebay and the For Sale forum here - where do people look for second hand binoculars?

I’m starting my search for a used pair of 7x42s (of some variety). I’m a schoolteacher so I’m certainly looking sub-alpha (or vintage alpha) and hoping that broadening my search might yield a better deal.

Thoughts?
A school teacher ... I’m sooooo sorry! I’m married to one. The administrators in southern Idaho have a mantra ... “We can’t afford it.” So, she has to create a curriculum for each class ... every day. The school can't afford a curriculum. We knew we were going to lose $25K a year for her to teach here. But that has blossomed to $36K through misspeak and the native “whatever” attitude.

Back to binos: There is always thrift stores, but my best luck has been with pawn shops. I once bought a Fujinon MTR-SX for $100 (like new) just by showing the proprietor it was massively out of collimation. Having fixed a few hundred just like it, I didn’t see a problem.

Bill
__________________
“Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it.” — Dr. Thomas Sowell
WJC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 16:11   #3
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,948
Hi,

as for places to look in for used I would also try craigslist or ither classifieds for offers in driving range for personal pickup and used shops of large optics shops like bhphoto or adorama.

As for what to get, vintage alphas can be nice - with 7x pairs the lack of phase coatings in older roof pairs is not so bad as with 8x or higher.
Trinovid 7x42, Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 will be nice, the Swaro Habicht porro 7x40 has a very narrow field of view so I would avoid it.

A good and reasonably priced new option would be the Opticron Discovery 7x42 WP PC for around at around 250 USD.

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 19:42   #4
Tomly
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
A school teacher ... I’m sooooo sorry! I’m married to one. The administrators in southern Idaho have a mantra ... “We can’t afford it.” So, she has to create a curriculum for each class ... every day. The school can't afford a curriculum. We knew we were going to lose $25K a year for her to teach here. But that has blossomed to $36K through misspeak and the native “whatever” attitude.

Back to binos: There is always thrift stores, but my best luck has been with pawn shops. I once bought a Fujinon MTR-SX for $100 (like new) just by showing the proprietor it was massively out of collimation. Having fixed a few hundred just like it, I didn’t see a problem.

Bill
I’ll start dropping into own shops. Is your experience with collimation that it tends to be a couple hundred to fix?
Tomly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 19:46   #5
Tomly
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

as for places to look in for used I would also try craigslist or ither classifieds for offers in driving range for personal pickup and used shops of large optics shops like bhphoto or adorama.

As for what to get, vintage alphas can be nice - with 7x pairs the lack of phase coatings in older roof pairs is not so bad as with 8x or higher.
Trinovid 7x42, Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 will be nice, the Swaro Habicht porro 7x40 has a very narrow field of view so I would avoid it.

A good and reasonably priced new option would be the Opticron Discovery 7x42 WP PC for around at around 250 USD.

Joachim
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll take a look at the Opticrons.

My ideal would be to find a cosmetically rough Leica BN or Zeiss FL. Might be worth saving for - but likely outside my range right now.
Tomly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 21:37   #6
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomly View Post
I’ll start dropping into own shops. Is your experience with collimation that it tends to be a couple hundred to fix?
First, 100% of the would-be collimation practitioners on the Internet address Conditional Alignment and not 3-axis collimation; there are important differences!

10 years ago, I charged $120 an hour with a 1 hour minimum. That was the LETTER of the law to keep the know-it-all cheapskates outta my hair. It was a great rock to hide behind that cut down on negativity while I got my work done. In reality, I worked by the SPIRIT of the law that allowed my to do many freebees that other professionals charged for. For SOME of the military stuff, I HAD to charge that much. But usually, I found a loophole for them, too. I was repeatedly told I couldn’t make a profit doing things the way I did. I laughed all the way to the bank and had a great and loyal customer cadre. The attachment came from the business section of a town 30 miles away.

“Success is not the key to happiness; happiness is the key to success.” — Albert Schweitzer

Contact Cory Suddarth of S.O.R. in Henryetta, Oklahoma. I think you’ll find $200 considerably more than needed. Besides, Cory saw a binocular ... once. It was in a magazine ... but, whatever. He’s the best we have, at least until I hang out a shingle, again. Then, he goes back to being optical dog meat!

But Cory KNOWS those differences and has the equipment and procedure to give you the “full meal deal.”

Bill

PS The following is from a book I’m not allowed to mention:

“ ... Fellow shipmate and former Navy Opticalman, Cory Suddarth, was with me the day I took a call from a fellow who had been a repair manager at his company for many years. The essence of his call went something like this:

“I just don’t understand it; I’ll get the binocular collimated but when I move one of the barrels, it’s off again.”

“He was right; he didn’t understand it. He was a conscientious technician but, being unfamiliar with the basics of 3-axis collimation and following today’s popular but flawed alignment techniques, he and his staff had been selling CoAl as collimation to his repair customers all those years. It was this experience that caused me to first suggest there’s a big difference between 20 years of experience and one year of experience 20 times.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1 copy 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	681352  
__________________
“Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it.” — Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by WJC : Tuesday 27th November 2018 at 22:47.
WJC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th November 2018, 23:16   #7
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,510
Secondhand Glass

Try Astromart, you would have to join for an up front fee of $15.00, one can sell there also. Also check Cloudy nights classifieds.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 09:10   #8
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Posts: 1,000
Land Sea & Sky in Houston, TX posted that they have used binos for sale on occasion. Info in this thread:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369230

HTH

Cheers, Pete
__________________
Pete Gamby
Sales & Marketing Manager - Opticron
pete_gamby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 09:20   #9
edwincjones
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,168
I have gotten several used/demo binoculars from CameralandNY.
Not a big discount but in good shape as advertised .
Astromart and CNs S&S seem low risk,
but one needs to know binoculars and their dealers.
Usually ok but always some degree of risk for the money saved.

edj
__________________
"I see skies of blue and clouds of white,
the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night,
and I think to myself what a wonderful world"
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
edwincjones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 11:55   #10
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,512
Other than Ebay not much 7x42 binoculars out there. Meade Montana if you can find one.Astromart did not have any 7x42 binoculars for sale a 7x35 Nikon E for about$90

Last edited by mooreorless : Wednesday 28th November 2018 at 13:53.
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 12:11   #11
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomly View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll take a look at the Opticrons.

My ideal would be to find a cosmetically rough Leica BN or Zeiss FL. Might be worth saving for - but likely outside my range right now.
Hi,

the Opticrons received glowing reviews on here when tested side by side with an FL. See https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=362909.

If you want to save up and go used alpha, a Nikon EDG 7x42 is also a very good option - if you are not too sensitive for rolling ball, that is.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...35#post1218235

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 15:56   #12
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,510
Joachim,

Thanks for that last link, quite informative even though it was a few years out. Some good debate regarding Nikon Customer service.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 02:37   #13
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Joachim,

Thanks for that last link, quite informative even though it was a few years out. Some good debate regarding Nikon Customer service.

Andy W.
I've had excellent service from Nikon over the years when I needed it. I registered my binoculars with Nikon when I purchased them. I'm sure that helped.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 03:04   #14
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
I have gotten several used/demo binoculars from CameralandNY.
Not a big discount but in good shape as advertised .
Astromart and CNs S&S seem low risk,
but one needs to know binoculars and their dealers.
Usually ok but always some degree of risk for the money saved.

edj
Same here.

I got an open box never used Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline from Camera Land at a Demo price. It looked like it had never been touched. It came with an 11 year warranty. Apparently Leica requires that any of their binoculars that are taken to shows be sold as Demos even though they have never been touched by the public.

I also purchased Demos from Eagle Optics. I bought my Swarovski 7x42 SLC B and my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL Lotutec from them as Demos. They have full warranties.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 11:17   #15
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Thanks for that last link, quite informative even though it was a few years out. Some good debate regarding Nikon Customer service.
Cannot comment on Nikon customer service - my Nikon bins work fine.

But quite frankly - I come from a country where there are no such things as lifetime no questions asked warranties (they're actually forbidden by law over here as a company cannot promise an indefinite warranty without knowing if the company still exists in 50 years).

So my expectations for service are a bit more realistic - that is if it breaks sometime during the 10 year warranty they fix the damage and there is no need to get back an as new pair with some doggie toy to avoid having the dog chew up your swaros next time...

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 13:30   #16
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Cannot comment on Nikon customer service - my Nikon bins work fine.

But quite frankly - I come from a country where there are no such things as lifetime no questions asked warranties (they're actually forbidden by law over here as a company cannot promise an indefinite warranty without knowing if the company still exists in 50 years).

So my expectations for service are a bit more realistic - that is if it breaks sometime during the 10 year warranty they fix the damage and there is no need to get back an as new pair with some doggie toy to avoid having the dog chew up your swaros next time...

Joachim
Hi Jochim,

I am the person who related that story about a young Labrador Retriever chewing up his master's Swarovski 8x42. I think it was an SLC. It happened years ago.

All Swarovski did was replace the damaged covering on the binocular and the focus wheel. They returned it to the owner with a Chew Toy for his dog. The only costs to the owner were postage and insurance.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 14:09   #17
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,510
All I said was that there was good debate regarding Nikon Customer service, I did not criticize the service.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 15:33   #18
justabirdwatcher
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 540
I have been happy with used binoculars that I've purchased from both B&H and Adorama, with my most recent pair - a set of 10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD's coming from Adorama at about $750 shipped. I am very satisfied with the binoculars and felt it was a solid deal. Maybe not a great deal, but the ability to return them for up to 30 days was worth probably $75-100 to me personally.

I'm not going to return them, but knowing I had time to evaluate them and return them if I found any issues at all, was why I chose Adorama (or B&H before them).
justabirdwatcher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 16:49   #19
Upland
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 321
Pair of Nikon EDG 7x42 in the classifieds forum posted today
Upland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 17:36   #20
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,512
Tomly if it was me I would check this thread out, long thread. I have a Kenko-Tokina Ultraview EX OP DHII 8x32 binocular that a fellow kindly sold me at a decent price and I like it a lot and I think it might be similar to the other models like the Sightron Blue Sky. Also look at Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a very long thread on the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a Fuji model of what looks a lot like the other two. There is also a very nice equipment review section on Bird Forum as well.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 20:10   #21
Tomly
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland View Post
Pair of Nikon EDG 7x42 in the classifieds forum posted today
Yes - and a pair of Swaro’s, but at $800 and $770 USD respectively they are about $300-400 outside my budget. I have $200 on hand from selling a nice pair of Nikon E 8x30 porros, and I would like to escape without spending more than an additional $200 if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreorless View Post
Tomly if it was me I would check this thread out, long thread. I have a Kenko-Tokina Ultraview EX OP DHII 8x32 binocular that a fellow kindly sold me at a decent price and I like it a lot and I think it might be similar to the other models like the Sightron Blue Sky. Also look at Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a very long thread on the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 there is a Fuji model of what looks a lot like the other two. There is also a very nice equipment review section on Bird Forum as well.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793
Thank you for the recommendations, but I’m wanting to find a 7x42 because I specifically want an exit pupil that is much more generous than an 8x30/8x32. I sold my Nikon E 8x30 because I simply felt frustrated by the precise eye position needed to avoid clipping/black outs. I just never found them comfortable enough to become immersed in my viewing.

The Opticron Discovery 7x42 is my most realistic option - but perhaps I’ll be rewarded for some patience and persistence.
Tomly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 21:33   #22
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,756
Tomly,

If you want a real good 7x42 in your price range then by all means look at the Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42.

It has a wide 7.8º FOV; (408'@1000yds) and lots of eye relief @ 25mm! I have one and it is a real pleasure to use. No blackouts at all.

I ordered mine from Honey Creek Bill and Beak in Lewistown, PA and got excellent service from Gordon there and from Opticron in North Carolina. The diopter wheel was excessively stiff and I had trouble moving it. I sent it back to Opticron in Huntersville, NC and they fixed it and returned it to me in one week.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 29th November 2018 at 21:43.
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 3rd December 2018, 10:50   #23
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,512
https://telescopes.net/store/meade-7...binocular.html

Meade Montana 7x42
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 4th December 2018, 11:35   #24
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,512
My link of the Meade Montana the specifications says 63.2 feet close focus, that is way off. I measured 9 ft.
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 24th December 2018, 11:56   #25
mooreorless
Registered User
 
mooreorless's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntingdon,Pa.
Posts: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Tomly,

If you want a real good 7x42 in your price range then by all means look at the Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42.

It has a wide 7.8º FOV; (408'@1000yds) and lots of eye relief @ 25mm! I have one and it is a real pleasure to use. No blackouts at all.

I ordered mine from Honey Creek Bill and Beak in Lewistown, PA and got excellent service from Gordon there and from Opticron in North Carolina. The diopter wheel was excessively stiff and I had trouble moving it. I sent it back to Opticron in Huntersville, NC and they fixed it and returned it to me in one week.

Bob
Bob, B&H has the Opticron Discovery WP PC 7x42 for $249
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ery_wp_pc.html

I would ask them to check out the binocular before they shipped though.
mooreorless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swaro warranty (UK) when buying second hand gandytron Swarovski 2 Wednesday 15th November 2017 08:02
Warranty/Guarantee Questions (Buying Second Hand) Hobbes2 Swarovski 3 Wednesday 4th December 2013 09:15
buying binoculars kenbo Say Hello 5 Friday 10th June 2011 12:55
buying binoculars kenbo Binoculars 3 Wednesday 8th June 2011 14:11
Buying Binoculars Himalaya Binoculars 20 Saturday 9th April 2011 12:23

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.24882603 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38.