Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best 8x42 bins under 400?

Old Saturday 24th November 2018, 21:44   #1
Tippbirder

Best 8x42 bins under 400?

Hi,

Current bins are Minox bl 8x44 br. I have them about 4 years and am looking to upgrade. To be honest they struggle in poor light but do have a great wide FOV. It's impossible to do the kind of side by side testing over here that you are lucky to be able to do in UK and US. From what I have looked up so far the Hawke 8x42 Frontier EDX at 350 has my serious attention. Under 700g, wide FOV.
Anyone have any thoughts or advice on these or other alternatives i should consider.

Thanks
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 04:39   #2
Upland

Thats easy. Tract Toric 8x42s if you buy them before Tuesday! 30% off this weekend and I bet they'll ship them across the pond.
Old Sunday 25th November 2018, 21:33   #3
GeorgeD

Have a look at Athlon Ares 8x42 ED! Very impressing light transmission considering the price level!
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 15:01   #4
Veracocha

The Birder Store in Worcester are doing the Hawke Sapphire ED's (all models) for under 300. I just picked up another pair of 10 x 43 Open Hinge, outstanding deal.
Old Wednesday 28th November 2018, 17:05   #5
Torview

Hi TB, if you`re prepared to buy pre-owned, these Aurora`s are an 800 binocular.

https://www.at-infocus.co.uk/product...a-8x42-bga-wf/
Old Thursday 29th November 2018, 21:31   #6
Tippbirder

Thanks for the replies, after alot of surfing I have narrowed it down I think to 4 options, all 8x42.
Hawke Frontier EDX @360, Opticron Countryman [email protected]330, Hawke Saphire ED @ 269, and Bushnell Legend M @199.
Old Friday 30th November 2018, 03:04   #7
justabirdwatcher

Bushnell Legend M can be had for as little as $139 right now.

I also wouldn't overlook the Bushnell Engage, which is a very small and excellent handling bin with a very sharp image. They are $208 on Amazon plus a $70 rebate.
Old Friday 30th November 2018, 10:29   #8
JoeRawles
Feathers Wild Bird Care

My two cents on the Hawke vs Opticron in your shortlist...

The new Frontier ED X is IMO the best build quality Hawke have produced to date. Each pair are quality control tested and a check list supplied with the binocular. The eye cups can be twisted off similarly to an 'alpha' binocular which makes for easy cleaning and replacing if they are well used. Optically they are superb but only very marginally better than the Sapphire ED. While the Sapphire was at full price, it was a no brainer as the Frontier ED X was cheaper. Now the price of the Sapphire makes it a trickier decision between the two.

The Opticron Countryman is Japanese made (Hawke are Chinese made) so build quality is superior. Lovely smooth focus wheel, lockable dioptre, very firm, comfortable eye cups etc. Narrower field of the view than the Hawkes but very sharp. Named HD+ but don't think they have ED glass? Last time I used them I noticed more CA with them compared to the Frontier or Sapphire. We don't have figures for light transmission but I'd imagine all perform similar.

Good luck :)
Old Friday 30th November 2018, 14:17   #9
iveljay

Opticron Countryman has a 50 cashback until end of year I noticed - see Opticron site - on the other hand the other options sound pretty good too.
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 01:18   #10
justabirdwatcher

I gotta tell ya, if you don't mind the size and stiff focus wheel, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Bushnell Legend M's in 8x42 for less than $750. I am still amazed at the image they produce, and how bright they are.
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 16:24   #11
Upland

The Bushnell Engage is essentially the Legend M in a smaller package per my discussion with Bushnell CS. You can buy on Amazon for $208 right now and get an additional $70 rebate. That’s if Amazon ships across the pond? Also would be good to check with Bushnell about the rebate overseas. If not Vanguard is running $100 rebaits on the Endeavor II and IV here so they might be over there too.
Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 16:27   #12
Upland

See the info on the Engage was already posted above. Sorry for the redundancy.
Old Sunday 30th December 2018, 21:33   #13
Tippbirder

Hi all,

Just to update, after weeks of mulling it over I finally purchased Opticron Imagic VHD 8x42 today. Clifton Cameras have a 10% off Jan sale. Price was 395. Basically thats 450 Euro by the time they reach me and the most i can justify spending. After reading lots of posts here and reviews elsewhere i think iv'e spent my cash well.

Shane
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: