Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tiny Kowa 8x22

Old Tuesday 5th March 2019, 15:46   #1
wachipilotes

Tiny Kowa 8x22

Hello,
Anyone have using this tiny binoculars for birding ?
It´ve good contrast and Sharp image ?
In comparison with the Alpha compact binocs, like Zeiss or Swarovski ,Leica and others...a good candidate?
Thanks
Wachipilotes
Old Tuesday 5th March 2019, 16:39   #2
Canip

Hi wachipilotes,

The smallest of the “Genesis” models (Kowa’s top line of binoculars) is quite a bit larger than the very small 8×20 pocket binoculars such as the Trinovid or Ultravid, on the other hand it is a bit smaller than the recently more popular 8×25 models, such as the Victory or Swarovski Pocket.
With its double hinge design, the Kowa is foldable to small size and still fits a regular coat pocket. It belongs to the upper part of the pocket bino market, both in terms of price and performance. It is very nicely designed and finished; optically, however, I would rate it a bit lower than today’s top pocket binoculars such as the Zeiss Victory 8×25 or Swarovski CL Pocket 8×25, in terms of contrast / sharpness. I find it‘s image actually more comparable to the smaller Trinovid 8x20 or Ultravid 8x20, which both are quite a bit less costly.

My personal view: if you can, get an 8x25, either the Zeiss or the Swaro. Just my 2 ct.
Canip
Old Tuesday 5th March 2019, 18:49   #3
wachipilotes

Thank you Canip for your kind response.I think that they have a similar price...I did, Zeiss, Swarovski,Leica Ultravid..and this tiny Kowa.
In the other hand, the Kowa 8x22 have fluorite lens?
Wachi.
Old Tuesday 5th March 2019, 20:16   #4
Tringa45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachipilotes View Post
In the other hand, the Kowa 8x22 have fluorite lens?
Apart from the Kowa 550 and 880 series scopes I know of no birding optics with fluorite (calcium fluoride) lenses. In an 8x binocular it would not provide any significant advantages. The 8x22 Genesis does however use low dispersion (XD) glass.

John
Old Sunday 31st March 2019, 08:12   #5
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
Apart from the Kowa 550 and 880 series scopes I know of no birding optics with fluorite (calcium fluoride) lenses. In an 8x binocular it would not provide any significant advantages. The 8x22 Genesis does however use low dispersion (XD) glass.
No, but the Zeiss Victory FL and the Zeiss Victory Pocket have fluoride glass (silica glass with fluoride added, not pure calcium fluoride), as do some Meoptas.

The discontinued Takahashi 22x60 Astronomer binoculars did use fluorite lenses.
Old Sunday 31st March 2019, 20:10   #6
wachipilotes

The true fluorite is a mineral if I am not mistaken, the fluoride glass gives some advantage over the low dispersion glass XD, ED ..?
Thank you
Wachi
Old Thursday 4th April 2019, 21:12   #7
johnf3f
johnf3f

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachipilotes View Post
Hello,
Anyone have using this tiny binoculars for birding ?
It´ve good contrast and Sharp image ?
In comparison with the Alpha compact binocs, like Zeiss or Swarovski ,Leica and others...a good candidate?
Thanks
Wachipilotes
Were these the ones you were thinking about?

https://www.kowaproducts.com/kowa-bd...258xBinocular/

If so then they are nice Bins - especially for the money. Naturally they give up a lot to the larger (more expensive) models but for pocket compacts mine work very well.
Old Saturday 18th May 2019, 13:15   #8
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmajid View Post

No, but the Zeiss Victory FL and the Zeiss Victory Pocket have fluoride glass (silica glass with fluoride added, not pure calcium fluoride), as do some Meoptas.
Zeiss SF binos and Harpia scope also have fluoride-doped glass lenses, but this is different from the artificially grown fluorite crystal lenses used in Kowa scopes.

Lee
Old Saturday 18th May 2019, 15:56   #9
Tringa45

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf3f View Post
Were these the ones you were thinking about?

https://www.kowaproducts.com/kowa-bd...258xBinocular/
No, John, it's this one: https://www.kowaproducts.com/kowa-ge...nesis-2-28x22/

It is all metal construction and of excellent mechanical quality. I briefly looked through one and it absolutely slaughtered a 30 year-old P-coated 8x20 Zeiss. I can imagine it would be strong competition for the 8x25 Victory or Pocket CL, but then it's also in the same price category .

John
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 20:22   #10
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
..... I can imagine it would be strong competition for the 8x25 Victory or Pocket CL, but then it's also in the same price category ....
It is in the same price category, but for my eyes, in terms of optical performance - particularly sharpness/contrast and image brightness - I clearly don’t see it as competition for the Victory and Swaro 8x25s, rather for the (smaller and cheaper) Ultravid 8x20.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: