• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

few standard photos.
1. there once was a ugly duck.
2. Red kite. James said it looked untidy with primeries missing,the one the other Wednesday was in good shape. different bird????
3. we had 2 chicks, I go away for 5 minutes and now?
4. we got some too.
5. who remembers the 70s poster F**k off

Similar to Red Kite on Thursday....

The combined sightings of myself, Andy P and Gary P from the Flashes yesterday:

Redshank, 5 Little Ringed Plover, 41 Avocet + 14 young (4 in front of hide / 3 in the delta / 3 in the saucer / 4 in front of the sewage works), 12 Lapwing + 3 young (2:1), 2 Oystercatcher + 2 young, 7 Gadwall, 7 Shelduck, 30 Tufted Duck, 3 Shoveler (2 males + female) - Andy had 9 ducklings in the morning buck I could only find 1 on the first flash in the evening, first summer Med Gull

Still 4 Oystercatcher young (2:2) on the Moors Pool as per Gert; also 2 Common Tern.

1 Great Crested Grebe young still at the Sailing Pool.

I have now had a return on the Black-headed Gull sporting yellow leg ring with black code TH1V, noted by Phil E on the 22nd April.

The bird was ringed in the nest in Wykowo, central Poland (approx 60 miles NW of Warsaw) on the 3rd June 2018 and has subsequently been seen at Slimbridge WWT on the 18th November 2018 and again at the same site on the 3rd March 2019.

Temminck's Stint

Last week's Temminck's Stint was the 18th record of this species at Upton Warren involving 25 birds and the first record for nearly 20 years in its traditional peak month of occurrence, May:

12th May 1965 - 2 birds
1st to 4th May 1972 - 1 bird
15th May 1973 - 1 bird
25th to 27th May 1975 - 6 birds
17th May 1976 - 1 bird
26th May 1978 - 2 birds
18th May 1980 - 1 bird
23rd to 27th October 1985 - 1 bird
12th May 1990 - 1 bird - The Flashes
19th to 21st May 1991 - 1 bird - The Flashes
24th to 27th May 1991 - 1 bird - The Flashes
24th to 26th May 1992 - 1 bird - The Flashes
17th to 18th May 1999 - 1 bird - The Flashes / Amy’s Marsh
12th to 13th May 2000 - 1 bird - The Flashes
5th July 2004 - 1 bird - The Flashes
22nd to 23rd June 2006 - 1 bird - The Flashes
15th to 21st September 2014 - 1 bird - The Flashes
15th to 18th May 2019 - 1 bird - The Flashes

Last edited:
Sailong Pool Car Parking

Polite Notice
Can everyone please note that the agreement with Aztec is that anyone visiting the Flashes must vacate the car park no later than 8 pm.
Otherwise there is a chance you will be locked in.
If you wish to stay later park in Webbs ( check the time they close) or better still the Moors.
In the case of a rarity or myself or any other key holding warden staying later we will post on this forum.
:t: john

Polite Notice
Can everyone please note that the agreement with Aztec is that anyone visiting the Flashes must vacate the car park no later than 8 pm.
Otherwise there is a chance you will be locked in.
If you wish to stay later park in Webbs ( check the time they close) or better still the Moors.
In the case of a rarity or myself or any other key holding warden staying later we will post on this forum.
:t: john

At this time of year Webbs closes at the same time as the Sailing Centre car park except for Saturdays and Sundays when Webbs closes earlier.

Last edited:
Dave J's WeBS count from Sunday is as follows:

Avocet 44, Black-tailed Godwit 2, Canada Goose 40, Common Sandpiper 1, Coot 28, Cormorant 1, Gadwall 7, Great Crested Grebe 10, Grey Heron 1, Greylag Goose 21, Lapwing 15, Little Egret 3, Little Grebe 5, Little Ringed Plover 5, Mallard 40, Moorhen 15+, Mute Swan 4, Oystercatcher 6, Redshank 1, Shelduck 4, Shoveler 4, Tufted Duck 104, Water Rail 1+, Black-headed Gull 850, Herring Gull 2, LBB Gull 8, Common Tern 3

Further encouraging breeding news from the Flashes this morning via Andy P:

- now 11 broods of Avocet with 35 young
- still 2 broods of Shoveler (largely intact)
- the emergence of 3 Little Ringed Plover chicks

Tuesday 21st May

Yesterday at the Flashes we saw a synchronised hatch of Avocet. By mid afternoon there were 10 broods. We have been monitoring them since the birds set down to business in late April. This is 2 or 3 weeks later than average and us probably due to a poor food supply affected by last year's drought.
I have never witnessed this synchronous hatch before and hope there will be enough feeding zones for the chicks to grow. However if yesterd is anything to go by there will be a few conflicts on the way. Although we had mapped out the nest sites pretty accurately, one pair did appear with 4 chicks from where I do not know.
I left the Flashes at 4pm at which point there were 10 broods totalling 30 chicks. Some broods weren't complete as un-hatched eggs were still being incubated.

Lapwing also had two new broods of 2 (meadow) and 3 ( in front of hide). What appeared to be a well grown chick gave tantalising views in the deep grass in front of the sewage works..where a brood was seen a few weeks back. Judging by the adult Lapwing behaviour in the marsh in front of the cut down oaktree there most probably are chicks or at least a nest.

The 2 oystercatcher chicks are doing well, mostly hiding in the groundsil.
At least one brood of Shoveler 8 chicks fed around the 1st Flash..
On the migration front very little on offer..with only a white wag and flock of swift over the North fields.

Species count FLASHES:-
Little grebe hen pool. Barnacle goose
Gadwall 4. Shoveler 3 ads(male +2 fems) +8ch. Shelduck 6-8. Tufted 54 most in 1st FLASH.
Avocet 41-44 ( 10 broods +30 ch). Oystercatcher 3+2 ch. Lapwing 18+ 9 or 10ch . LRP 5.
Med Gull 1st summer.
Stock Dove 10. Rook 2.
Skylark. Swift c30.
Blackcap 3. Reed warbler 5+. Sedge w 2. Cetti's w chiffchaff 2.
White wag. Linnet 6.

SAILING POOL:-
GCG 6. Tufted c15. Greylag 12:3 broods.
Reed w.

MOORS:-
GCG 4+1 ch. Little grebe 4 obvious many more but almost definitely nesting. Cormorant. Grey heron (NM).
Shelduck pr. Gadwall 4. Tufted 52.
Oystercatcher 4 + 2:2. Lapwing 2.
Common tern 2.
Water rail (NM).
Great sp woodp.
Whitethroat singing behind east hide. Lesser whitethroat (NM). Blackcap 3. Cetti's w 2. Reed w at least 10 singing.
Chiffchaff 2.

Last edited:
Feefing Station Funding

Many thanks to Tim R for his donation to our feeding station fund....we are no longer given food by the localnpet stores so all food is now bought from.our permit money. Anyone wishing to donate please contact Paul M or see one of our wardens.
B :) john

Cuckoo

Cuckoo calling from behind Moors East hide 15mins then joined by another for about 10 mins at 10.30 am
Quite a lot of territory fallouts at the flashes this pm about 12.30.The Plovers had 3 chicks scattered after Avocet intervention some of the Avocet chicks got mixed up and parents were trying to sort out their own chicks.All this in front of the hide.Better entertainment than the TV.Left about 13.30 hopefully it is all sorted out now.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Avocet (45) + 11 broods comprising of 34 chicks.
Lapwing (12) + 3 broods comprising of 6 chicks.
LRP (4) + 1 brood of 3 chicks. Still 3 this evening.
Oystercatcher (2) + 1 brood of 2 chicks.
Shoveler (2m + 1f) + 2 broods comprising of 15 chicks split between the 1st and 3rd flashes.
Med Gull (1s)---------------Shelduck (6)
Gadwall (4)-----------------Cetti's Warbler
Tufted Duck (12)

MOORS:
Oystercatcher (4) + 2 broods comprising of 4 chicks.
G C Grebe (3) + 2 broods comprising of 2 chicks.
Lapwing (2)------------------LRP (2)
Gadwall (6)------------------Shoveler (2m)
Tufted Duck (53)------------Cormorant (2)
Common Tern (3)-----------Hobby
Common Gull (1s)----------Cuckoo (2). Displaying behind the east hide.
L BB Gull (23)

Des.

John's count of 120 Tufted Duck across the reserve on Tuesday equalled the site record noted by Dave J on the 10th April 2016.

Med on the Moors

The Flashes was full of little birds and all the more visual for that.

On the Moors any little birds - as in young ones - were in hiding- well except of course for the BHGs

In amongst the more grown up ones was this med gull which suddenly started preening and showed its colourful beak.

Having been wrong so many times with IDs I did ask "was it?" Yes it was and a quick check on his phone by one helpful chap suggested it was a - and I'm sure I didn't mishear - 2nd winter bird.

Looking at its wing tips and tail and now comparing with a good med gull site I still want to go with 1st summer.

Anyone care to adjudicate please and explain why?

The first pic shows a clear comparison of a med and bhg beak. Also note the similarity in the hoods.

I will put the Med Gull site on the next post which will show the 1st summer bird from today at the Flashes- allegedly

Phil E

Attachments

• Med Head Comparison.jpg
    Med Head Comparison.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Tail View.jpg
    Tail View.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Topwing.jpg
    Topwing.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Underwing.jpg
    Underwing.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 38
Med at the Flashes?

It was early and any good pics of this bird I thought I took turned out to be rubbish. I really wanted to see this elusive bird. A polite request was met strangely with " where it usually is. " Okay there were more pressing young to find.

Eventually we got to where it was and the fact that it was sitting down with its head in its wings. Mmmmm!

Since this was the only bird on the muddy patch -and I wasn't looking at the wrong muddy patch- why am I not convinced that this is a med.

The inside of its mouth looks the right colour but the beak looks for all the world like that from a BHG. Of course both pics are further away than I would have liked and one was photobombed. The next one was useless.

Web Link for good Med Gull Site

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/species-profiles/focus-on-mediterranean-gulls/

One of those days I guess . Leaving the East hide at the Moors and paying a rare visit to the concrete hide I had just sat down when the cuckoo sounded repeatedly. ON THE EAST SIDE!!!!! NOT VISIBLE!!

If the cuckoo wanted to be seen by me it knew where I was. It didn't.:-C

Mind you at Slimbridge the other day I was pleased to hear one there- until I realised it was the guy next to me- his ring tone:-C

Phil E

Attachments

• Flashes Med 1.jpg
    Flashes Med 1.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Flashes med 2.jpg
    Flashes med 2.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back