• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal 100 F-ED with Panasonic FH1 (1 Viewer)

Good little video...love the 'poop'.... So I have never video scoped before. How does the 'focus' come into play ...for I thought you focus was great. If you took a picture of that you would have to worry about focus and bird movement etc...but video wise, seems to be no problem, eh? jim

Good little video...love the 'poop'.... So I have never video scoped before. How does the 'focus' come into play ...for I thought you focus was great. If you took a picture of that you would have to worry about focus and bird movement etc...but video wise, seems to be no problem, eh? jim

I made sure I had good focus through the scope before I started taking video. After that the af of the camera does all the work. Seems you have greater depth of field with the video as well, so it's easier to keep the bird in focus. I'm pretty impressed with this little camera for both stills and video. Wind noise was awful, but this was just a test.

I wonder if you can put your video into software and take out one ' perfect frame' thus having an image if you want it.... Thoughts? Jim

I wonder if you can put your video into software and take out one ' perfect frame' thus having an image if you want it.... Thoughts? Jim

I think this is a common option in most video viewing and editing software. I often use the freeware VLC video player and it has this option built in. I'll attach an example. Just a quick capture with no processing. I'm sure it could be improved upon.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2011-10-27-06h27m38s14.jpg
    vlcsnap-2011-10-27-06h27m38s14.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 294
  • bluebird.jpg
    bluebird.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Lovely footage, Rick, with excellent focus and exposure. Perhaps you could mute the sound in your editing programme?

Mike

Connection method

Rick, I also own a Celestron Regal 100 F-ED scope. Can you tell me how you connected it to your Panasonic FH1 camera? I know it was through the 22X-67X eyepiece and set at 22X but what mount method? Thank YOU! Glenn

Rick, I also own a Celestron Regal 100 F-ED scope. Can you tell me how you connected it to your Panasonic FH1 camera? I know it was through the 22X-67X eyepiece and set at 22X but what mount method? Thank YOU! Glenn

Glen, I used the Vortex PS-100 digital camera adapter from Eagle Optics. This adapter has 37mm female threads which will screw right onto the 37mm male threads on the Celestron zoom eyepiece (once you unscrew the eyecup to expose them). You can then attach your FH1 to the adapter platform and adjust it accordingly for optimal distance and alignment. There are some other similar adapters with a 37mm connection from other vendors that should work as well. Good luck.

Thank you! I am looking at my scope. I see a large male thread where the eyepiece cover screws - down at the scope proper - that is about 52mm? Once I unscrew the small eyepiece at the top the topmost piece of glass comes off and I see female threads about 42mm or 43mm. If I simply slip off the rubber, I do not see any threads at all. Might you have a picture of your scope with the camera mounted? My email is [email protected] if you have one and feel like emailing it. Thanks, Glenn

Thank you! I am looking at my scope. I see a large male thread where the eyepiece cover screws - down at the scope proper - that is about 52mm? Once I unscrew the small eyepiece at the top the topmost piece of glass comes off and I see female threads about 42mm or 43mm. If I simply slip off the rubber, I do not see any threads at all. Might you have a picture of your scope with the camera mounted? My email is [email protected] if you have one and feel like emailing it. Thanks, Glenn

You just unscrew the plastic eye cup at the top of the eyepiece (no glass should come off....just the plastic eye cup) and the threads are underneath that. When you turn the plastic eye cup (counter clockwise), it will unscrew from the eyepiece. Just keep turning and it will unscrew revealing the 37mm threads. This is the zoom eyepiece that's included with the scope. I'll attach a couple of photos. The first photo is of the zoom eyepiece with the eye cup attached; the second with the plastic eye cup removed and the third shows the Vortex PS-100 adapter screwed onto the eyepiece. This is the Celestron Regal 100 F-ED, not the Ultima. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 167
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 215
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
My scope unscrews differently

Thank you for your info again and pictures. I looked in the manual that came with it and agree mine should unscrew the same but it doesn't. When I unscrew my eyepiece, a bit more comes off including the top lens.
Glenn

Thank you for your info again and pictures. I looked in the manual that came with it and agree mine should unscrew the same but it doesn't. When I unscrew my eyepiece, a bit more comes off including the top lens.
Glenn

Only that plastic eyecup at the top of the eyepiece should unscrew. Does your eyepiece look the same as mine in the pictures? A shame to have to do so, but since they have a 100% no questions asked guarantee, I guess you'll have to pack at least the eyepiece off to Celestron for a replacement. Quite an aggravation when you have a new scope you would like to get on with using!

Scope is the same

My scope is identical to your scope.
The top simply decides to unscrew at a different thread.
At least one other person has had this issue.
Glenn

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back