• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Book required ? (1 Viewer)

Eddie H

Guys,

I'm in the UK Merchant Navy, and spend upwards of 7 months per year at sea.
I have the "European Seabirds In Flight" guide book, but struggle once we pass Cape Verde Islands.
Is there a similar book for the South Atlantic area ?
Maybe also the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf Regions!

An ISBN number for UK publications would be great. Up for purchasing 2nd hand also.

Many Thanks, Eddie

Cheers guys,

The second book looks good to me.
I have a book that I bought in Port Stanley, that has sketches/water colours of the Petrels, Albatross's and Shearwaters around there and all the land birds. Wanted one for a wider range.

I've bagged Tristan White Chinned Spectacled, Atlantic, Cape and Giant Petrels. The smaller Prions are too fleeting to have a bash at with out a good guide. This book seems the bizz.

Cheers Eddie

Eddie, I have just returned from a cruise round S America. I will never forget the morning we arrived in the Falklands. Hundreds of albatrosses, shearwaters in the tens of thousands, giant petrels, cormorants, flightless steamer ducks, and much more.
The southern oceans were a paradise for pelagics.
My old copy of Harrison was great as it covers all seabirds but is way out of date.
The Helm field guide to albs, petrels, and shearwaters is great for those species. An American birder onboard had the Princeton book which was good but they also had Steven N G Howell's photographic guide to N American pelagics. This is a must have beautiful book.

Keep us informed of your finds!

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back