• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand in February (1 Viewer)

around Auckland:

Tiritiri Matangi. Stay there if you can ($30 per person in a bunkhouse). The ferry doesn't go on Monday or Tuesday, so if you go across on Sunday you can stay till Wednesday with two public-free days in between. All the birds are very easy to find, the hardest being spotless crake and little spotted kiwi (the spotless crake is hard if water levels in the ponds are high, but otherwise not too difficult). When you're out at night you'll easily find little blue penguins on the tracks as well.

Mangere Sewage Ponds: loads of waders

Miranda: same

There's a "whale safari" boat out of Auckland with good chance for Bryde's whale and common dolphin.

The pelagic (seabird) boat only goes once or twice a month for part of the year (from just north of Auckland), and is very expensive (too expensive for me!) but is your only chance for NZ storm petrel.

The Auckland Museum is very good as well.

South Island:

There's a boat that goes out from Picton for king shag.

In Kaikoura the albatross boat goes out three times a day (6am, 9am and 1pm). Their website has a list of which birds they see on the recent trips. Each trip is only about 1.5 hours because as someone said earlier in the thread there's a trench right off-shore, but you will be pleased with the results. If you see cetaceans from this boat however it will only be at a distance (they are not allowed to approach them; although the dolphins sometimes ignore this!). The whale boat goes out several times a day, but sperm whales aren't all that interesting. (I'd recommend doing the whale boat in Auckland, and the albatross boat in Kaikoura). There are also helicopter and plane rides for whale-spotting; a dolphin swimming boat; and a seal swimming boat. The walk round the top of the cliffs, starting at the NZ fur seal colony, is good for cirl bunting.

Christchurch: go out on the boat on Akaroa Harbour for Hector's dolphins and white-flippered penguins.

For yellow-eyed penguin go to the colony at Moeraki (the town, just south of the Moeraki Boulders) when heading south to Dunedin from Chch. Follow the road that leads to the lighthouse, and then walk downhill from the car-park (on the other side of the style) to the hide.

For little blue penguins (which you'll have already seen on Tiritiri) go to Oamaru and watch them come ashore at night.

Dunedin: the Otago Museum is brilliant, there's an albatross colony (you need to pay to access it, so better to stand at the cliff at the edge of the car-park and watch them fly past; also loads of Stewart Island and spotted shags here too); various wildlife tour operators (e.g. Elm Wildlife Tours is probably the best) for yellow-eyed penguin etc. You should be able to find NZ sealions without too much trouble by yourself , e.g. at Aramoana.

On the way to Milford stop at the car-park by Homer Tunnel and look for rock wrens (best bird in NZ!), and go on a boat trip on the Sound for crested penguin and bottlenose dolphin.

At Okarito (just north of Franz Josef on the West Coast) there is a night tour for Okarito brown kiwi, which should almost guarantee you seeing that species. There are also kiwi tours on Stewart Island for southern brown kiwi and Trounson (in Northland) for North Island brown kiwi.

All these places you can find websites for by putting in the relevant search terms (saves me writing too much! :D). Anything else?

I can't find Lake Sylvan or Hooker Valley in any of my books/maps can you tell me where they are?

David

Hi David

Lake Sylvan is 50km or so north of Queenstown in the Glenorchy area. Just remembered I had NZ Scaup on the lake too.

The Hooker Valley is a cracking fairly easy track from the Mount Cook car park up to the glacial lake at the bottom of the Hooker glacier. I'm not sure if it is a reliable site for Blue Duck generally, we were on a family walking trip that morning really not birding per se.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/canterbury/aoraki-mount-cook/aoraki-mount-cook-village-walking-tracks/

Last edited:
Hi James,

I get the impression that I should book as much as possible in advance - nothing worse than arriving in Kaikoura to find the Albatross Encounter is fully booked!

The other thing you need to watch is if they have insufficient people the boat won't go out. They only need 3, but up until the day before my trip a couple of years ago I was the only one booked on it. It only ran because the lovely lady in the booking office persuaded a tourist couple they really wanted to go out on the morning boat (that I had booked!) not the afternoon boat.

.... Blenheim (my wife has an unhealthy interest in wine!)
Is there such a thing as an unhealthy interest in wine?

And Doubtful Sound - worth it?
I think anyone who has done Fiordland in fine weather has found it an amazing experience. But you have to remember it has one of the highest average rainfalls in the world, fine weather is in short supply! The crew on our trip kept telling us we were seeing it at it's best in a severe rainstorm. It was certainly an experience to be there in one of the worst rainstorms they'd experienced for many years.

around Auckland:

Tiritiri Matangi. Stay there if you can ($30 per person in a bunkhouse). The ferry doesn't go on Monday or Tuesday, so if you go across on Sunday you can stay till Wednesday with two public-free days in between. All the birds are very easy to find, the hardest being spotless crake and little spotted kiwi (the spotless crake is hard if water levels in the ponds are high, but otherwise not too difficult). When you're out at night you'll easily find little blue penguins on the tracks as well.

Mangere Sewage Ponds: loads of waders

Miranda: same

There's a "whale safari" boat out of Auckland with good chance for Bryde's whale and common dolphin.

The pelagic (seabird) boat only goes once or twice a month for part of the year (from just north of Auckland), and is very expensive (too expensive for me!) but is your only chance for NZ storm petrel.

The Auckland Museum is very good as well.

South Island:

There's a boat that goes out from Picton for king shag.

In Kaikoura the albatross boat goes out three times a day (6am, 9am and 1pm). Their website has a list of which birds they see on the recent trips. Each trip is only about 1.5 hours because as someone said earlier in the thread there's a trench right off-shore, but you will be pleased with the results. If you see cetaceans from this boat however it will only be at a distance (they are not allowed to approach them; although the dolphins sometimes ignore this!). The whale boat goes out several times a day, but sperm whales aren't all that interesting. (I'd recommend doing the whale boat in Auckland, and the albatross boat in Kaikoura). There are also helicopter and plane rides for whale-spotting; a dolphin swimming boat; and a seal swimming boat. The walk round the top of the cliffs, starting at the NZ fur seal colony, is good for cirl bunting.

Christchurch: go out on the boat on Akaroa Harbour for Hector's dolphins and white-flippered penguins.

For yellow-eyed penguin go to the colony at Moeraki (the town, just south of the Moeraki Boulders) when heading south to Dunedin from Chch. Follow the road that leads to the lighthouse, and then walk downhill from the car-park (on the other side of the style) to the hide.

For little blue penguins (which you'll have already seen on Tiritiri) go to Oamaru and watch them come ashore at night.

Dunedin: the Otago Museum is brilliant, there's an albatross colony (you need to pay to access it, so better to stand at the cliff at the edge of the car-park and watch them fly past; also loads of Stewart Island and spotted shags here too); various wildlife tour operators (e.g. Elm Wildlife Tours is probably the best) for yellow-eyed penguin etc. You should be able to find NZ sealions without too much trouble by yourself , e.g. at Aramoana.

On the way to Milford stop at the car-park by Homer Tunnel and look for rock wrens (best bird in NZ!), and go on a boat trip on the Sound for crested penguin and bottlenose dolphin.

At Okarito (just north of Franz Josef on the West Coast) there is a night tour for Okarito brown kiwi, which should almost guarantee you seeing that species. There are also kiwi tours on Stewart Island for southern brown kiwi and Trounson (in Northland) for North Island brown kiwi.

All these places you can find websites for by putting in the relevant search terms (saves me writing too much! :D). Anything else?

Hi Chlidonias,

Excellent stuff, thanks very much. We have a trip to Tiritiri Matangi planned for our last full day but won't have time to stay overnight. Do you know if there are boat trips in the Bay of Islands and are they worthwhile? Finally (for the moment!), is February a good time to see the various penguins?

The other thing you need to watch is if they have insufficient people the boat won't go out. They only need 3, but up until the day before my trip a couple of years ago I was the only one booked on it. It only ran because the lovely lady in the booking office persuaded a tourist couple they really wanted to go out on the morning boat (that I had booked!) not the afternoon boat.

Is there such a thing as an unhealthy interest in wine?

I think anyone who has done Fiordland in fine weather has found it an amazing experience. But you have to remember it has one of the highest average rainfalls in the world, fine weather is in short supply! The crew on our trip kept telling us we were seeing it at it's best in a severe rainstorm. It was certainly an experience to be there in one of the worst rainstorms they'd experienced for many years.

Thanks for all the info. If it comes to it I'll pay for a phantom third occupant on the albatross trip and just pray for a dry spell in Fiordland!

David

I'd recommend the boat tours from Picton into Marlborough Sound mentioned above. It's a lovely area and they do a variety of tours that don't just cater to birders. You should see plenty of birds on any of them (e.g. Little Penguin, Fluttering Shearwater, Weka).
http://www.naturetours.co.nz/new-zealand/home/

Thanks Andrew, unfortunately I think this will be the day I have to indulge my wife's interest in wine! She's indulging my interest in birds for the rest of the trip so I don't think I can get out of it!

David

Last edited:
Hi Chlidonias,

Excellent stuff, thanks very much. We have a trip to Tiritiri Matangi planned for our last full day but won't have time to stay overnight. Do you know if there are boat trips in the Bay of Islands and are they worthwhile? Finally (for the moment!), is February a good time to see the various penguins?
you can see all the birds on Tiritiri on a day-trip except the kiwi and little blue penguin, but obviously it is a matter of luck as well. I was just there last month and saw all the land birds resident there except rifleman and spotless crake, and all of them were seen on the first day except the kiwi (which took me three nights!). Fernbirds are very common on Tiritiri but hard to get a decent look at (they're very sneaky).

Additional to the albatross encounter, it was mentioned above that you need a minimum of passengers, also remember the boats can't go out in rough weather so make sure you've got some free time just in case one day is cancelled on you.

February (and November for Maroon Jay) are fine for little blue penguins because they come ashore at their colonies every night, and they will be nesting when you're here; Oamaru would be the best place to see them. Both months are also fine for yellow-eyed penguins (the place at Moeraki I mentioned is called Katiki Point and is super-reliable; I usually see penguins there within a few minutes of arrival; the approach to the hide is screened from the sea by bush so the penguins aren't spooked by people coming and going; also check in the bush on the other side of the fence because that's where they nest, and quite often you'll find one or more very close). February is not good for Fiordland penguin.

I forgot to mention too, there's a black kite that's been living near Blenheim for many years, on the road by the American spy base. Its the only black kite in the country.

This company does boat trips in the Bay of Islands: http://www.dolphincruises.co.nz/

Hi Chlidonias, Thanks again for more good tips. I will definately check out the Black Kite. I will be there from 29 November to 13 May.

you can see all the birds on Tiritiri on a day-trip except the kiwi and little blue penguin, but obviously it is a matter of luck as well. I was just there last month and saw all the land birds resident there except rifleman and spotless crake, and all of them were seen on the first day except the kiwi (which took me three nights!). Fernbirds are very common on Tiritiri but hard to get a decent look at (they're very sneaky).

Additional to the albatross encounter, it was mentioned above that you need a minimum of passengers, also remember the boats can't go out in rough weather so make sure you've got some free time just in case one day is cancelled on you.

February (and November for Maroon Jay) are fine for little blue penguins because they come ashore at their colonies every night, and they will be nesting when you're here; Oamaru would be the best place to see them. Both months are also fine for yellow-eyed penguins (the place at Moeraki I mentioned is called Katiki Point and is super-reliable; I usually see penguins there within a few minutes of arrival; the approach to the hide is screened from the sea by bush so the penguins aren't spooked by people coming and going; also check in the bush on the other side of the fence because that's where they nest, and quite often you'll find one or more very close). February is not good for Fiordland penguin.

I forgot to mention too, there's a black kite that's been living near Blenheim for many years, on the road by the American spy base. Its the only black kite in the country.

This company does boat trips in the Bay of Islands: http://www.dolphincruises.co.nz/

More very useful info, Chlidonias, thanks very much for the time you're putting in to getting me on to some good birds!

Albatross Encounter has caused me problems already but in a different way. When I logged on to the website everything on the date I wanted was fully booked - private bookings, apparently. I've rejigged my itinerary and booked for the previous day, but beware leaving it too late if anybody else is thinking of doing it. If that one is cancelled though I'm stuffed! (I should say that AE themselves were excellent, replying to my email almost immediately with alternative suggestions)

Nice to have another site for the penguins and the Black Kite sounds interesting - is the American spy base well signposted? ;)

David

Last edited:
My itinerary is slowly coming together but little is set in stone yet. I'm now wandering about changing our proposed day boat-trip in Doubtful Sound to a couple of nights on Stewart Island. From a birding point of view it has to be SI but Doubtful Sound does sound stunning. There is no way we can do both so, my usual question - has anyone got experience of either or both? Which would they recommend?

Thanks again,

David

it's a secret spy base....so it's not hard to find. The kite is another matter. Sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't, sometimes its right over the road and sometimes at a distance. The locals harriers don't like the kite at all and give it abit of grief. There's also a pair of barn owls (again, the only ones in the country) up in the far north if vagrants are your thing.

Definitely Stewart Island over Doubtful Sound. And make sure you go to Ulva Island (short boat ride from Oban). I've seen kiwi on there during the day. Saddleback and kaka are everywhere on there, and its the best place to see Stewart Island weka. There are also yellowheads on there as well.

If the Albatross Encounter is fully booked that far ahead (that's not normal) I'd say its an international birding tour filling up the spaces.

thinking about long-staying vagrants (the black kite and barn owls), I should also mention for Maroon Jay - and perhaps davidg if they hang around that long - the flock of Australian pelicans at Ruawai in Northland (about 1.5 hours north of Auckland) which have been there since August. There's 14 of them and they look great. Well worth the trip north, and its not far from Trounson either if you're going there for North Island brown kiwi.

thinking about long-staying vagrants (the black kite and barn owls), I should also mention for Maroon Jay - and perhaps davidg if they hang around that long - the flock of Australian pelicans at Ruawai in Northland (about 1.5 hours north of Auckland) which have been there since August. There's 14 of them and they look great. Well worth the trip north, and its not far from Trounson either if you're going there for North Island brown kiwi.

Unlikely they'll stay long enough for me, I guess, unless this is a colonisation attempt. I'll ask for an update in January!

David

I have a none birding wife and keeping her happy is key! So I will give a few examples of how we do things.
Northland is a must. Waipu is a lovely little town, very historic, with strong Scotish links, good museum, nice cafes, great beaches at Waipu cove and Langs beach and great birds at Waipu reserve.
Warkworth is a very pretty little town, lots to do and see if you are a lady and the fabulous Tawharanui reserve is just up the road, a bit like Tiritiri but no ferry needed!
Your wife would love Kerikeri again lots to do, very pretty, historic, Russell and Waitangi near by and great birds everywhere.
It will be very hot and you will do lots of driving.

I have a none birding wife and keeping her happy is key! So I will give a few examples of how we do things.
Northland is a must. Waipu is a lovely little town, very historic, with strong Scotish links, good museum, nice cafes, great beaches at Waipu cove and Langs beach and great birds at Waipu reserve.
Warkworth is a very pretty little town, lots to do and see if you are a lady and the fabulous Tawharanui reserve is just up the road, a bit like Tiritiri but no ferry needed!
Your wife would love Kerikeri again lots to do, very pretty, historic, Russell and Waitangi near by and great birds everywhere.
It will be very hot and you will do lots of driving.

Thanks for the info, Flossiepip, could come in useful if all that nature gets too much for her!

David

I'd second Chlidonias' suggestion of Trounson Kauri Park for North Island Kiwi. It's a small patch, and the birds are comparatively easy there. They even provide red plastic to put over your torches in the camping site there so you don't bother the birds as much.

If you try for Rock Wren at Homer Tunnel (spectacular scenery there too) try the area on the right just before the tunnel, especially by the giant house-sized boulder along the trail (it'll make sense when you're there!). And be prepared to give them some time. But as Chlid says, they're worth it.

Thanks Larry, I will go there. For the big rock at the entrance to the tunnel, which end is that? The road through the tunnel goes from what town to what town or city?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back