• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Linyi, Shandong Province (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi,
I have recently been offered a job in Linyi, in Shandong Province. If anyone has any experience of birding this area, or can even just recommend any nice areas to escape the city and feel a bit of nature I would be grateful for their suggestions. Cheers,
Mark

I dont know much about Linyi.
Near it there are several coastal cities I often visit:Rizhao-Qingdao in Shandong and Lianyungang in Jiangsu.
Those coastal areas hold a lot of waterbird(Oystercatcher,Relict Gull,Saunders's Gull etc) and seabirds(Yellow-billd&Black-throated Loon,Scaup,Red-breasted Merganser,A and LB Murrulet etc),and some other wetland birds such as Reed Parrotbill.In the hills/moutains nearby u can find some interesting birds common in this region.

I think except the coastal birds,u can see others similar to those in Rizhao/Qingdao/Lianyungang.

Further south,u can visit Yancheng for cranes.

I often take a bus from Jinan(the capital,my hometown) to Lianyungang/Yancheng which passes Linyi.So travelling by bus to those cities from Linyi should be easy.

another good place for cranes is Yellow River Delta in Dongying,Shandong.

BTW,if u stay till spring/summer,u can take ferries in the sea and see Swinhoe's Storm Petrel and Streaked Shearwater,and Chinese Crested Tern if lucky enough...........

Howdy Mark

...and you are on the eastern seaboard so easy to connect with us rabble in Shanghai and the equally suspect bunch oop north in Beijing ;D

Not to mention Yangkou...spooner alert!

Accept the job and start planning how you'll fit all the birding in...it ain't easy...

cheers
Mark (also...)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back