Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which Starter Binoculars

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 11th December 2013, 17:55   #26
apwood

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I decided in the end that magnification perhaps wasn't as important as weight and quality of the optics, so my final shortlist was the Viking MD and the Vortex Raptor.

I fancied a porro based one because of the enhanced perspective they give BUT I didn't like the relatively long minimum focusing distance of the Vortex Raptor. On the other hand the Viking MD (roof prism based) has a relatively short warranty and I don't know it's spec for relative brightness and twilight factor.

In the end, I've chosen neither. Due to the kind help of one of the forum contributors I've purchased a 2nd hand Bushnell Elite 7x26 which I think offers the best overall compromise - it's a reverse porro with good 3D perspective, with excellent optics, decent enough FOV, good minimum focusing distance and a lifetime transferable warranty. The only downsides are low light performance, but sounds like it is good enough for our needs and excellent for a compact; and it's not waterproof - but that means we only need to take a little extra care.

If I find the Bushnell is not the one for us after all, then I'll re-sell it and refer back to the advice here. No doubt I'll end up getting a 2nd pair some time in any case.
Old Wednesday 11th December 2013, 18:08   #27
OPTIC_NUT

That's a nice compromise. More compact, too.
Handy if you don't have a pocket size you love yet.
I'm hoping I find a 2nd hand 7x26 Elite myself some time soon.
OR...perhaps the older Custom.
Old Thursday 12th December 2013, 09:23   #28
Samandag
Scan right to left, it's slower than scanning left to right and your brain takes in more detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwood View Post
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I decided in the end that magnification perhaps wasn't as important as weight and quality of the optics, so my final shortlist was the Viking MD and the Vortex Raptor.

I fancied a porro based one because of the enhanced perspective they give BUT I didn't like the relatively long minimum focusing distance of the Vortex Raptor. On the other hand the Viking MD (roof prism based) has a relatively short warranty and I don't know it's spec for relative brightness and twilight factor.
For the sake of completeness the brightness or luminosity can be found by dividing the aperture by the magnification and then multiplying by 2. For the Viking 6.5x32 MD it is 9.85, and for the Bushnell Elite 7x26 it is 7.45. The higher the factor, the brighter the images viewed will be in lowlight conditions although clearly the quality of the lenses and coatings are crucial. Twilight factor is the square root of the product of the diameter of the objective and the magnification. Both are clearly daytime binoculars.

I wouldn't get too hung up on warranty periods in this price bracket. In five years the market will have moved swiftly on with higher perceived values competing in lower price brackets and no-name brands still having very little residual commercial value when offered for sale as pre-owned. Even so in buying well you can obtain an item that will probably last for decades in good working order.

Hope you enjoy your compact, it's a nice choice.
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 10:47   #29
jring

Another Spammer?

Joachim
Old Wednesday 26th December 2018, 11:31   #30
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Another Spammer?

Joachim
Dealt with!

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Wednesday 26th December 2018 at 15:43.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: