Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which sub-alpha bino

Old Thursday 20th December 2018, 22:50   #126
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoJ View Post
Hello, speaking from my personal opinion and experience:

-Top level (Alpha) binoculars:Swarovski EL, Zeiss Sf, Leica Noctivid.

Someone may not like rolling ball effect, flare, ergonomics, size, ... , of some of them.
But in my opininion, these 3 binoculars are the best available optics today, not only at the edges but also at the center of field, with better spherical aberration and better overall image as a whole.

-Second level ( Betta) binoculars: Swarovski SLC, Zeiss HT/FL, Leica Ultravid HD+, Nikon EDG.

Alpha and betta binoculars are at the same mechanical level (except SLC).

-Third level ( Gamma) binoculars:Swarovski CL, Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Nikon HG, Kowa Genesis, Nikon SE/EII.

-Fourth level (Delta) binoculars:Zeiss Terra, Nikon Monarch, ...
Seems like you have owned many a glass, and spent much time viewing through them.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st December 2018, 13:24   #127
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
The SLC never agreed with me. I have tried one before and the focuser on them is IMHO a mess. Tough to start, then loose one way, with at least consistent but a different level of resistance the other way. Both pairs have been similar and some months apart. Maybe it is something that would become accustomed to but it was too difficult to get a nice focus.
I've owned (and sold) two pairs of SLC's now, about 3 years apart. Your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine. Life is too short to deal with a crappy focus wheel, no matter how good the glass is, and regardless of the fact that plenty of my "other field hobby" friends think I'm nuts because I prefer my Conquest HD's over the SLC. Well, they probably don't go birding either, and I don't have to tell anyone here how annoying a sticky focus wheel is during an hours-long birding excursion with warblers at 10 feet and sandhill cranes flying overhead at 1/4 mile, all at the same time.
Old Saturday 22nd December 2018, 03:42   #128
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justabirdwatcher View Post
I've owned (and sold) two pairs of SLC's now, about 3 years apart. Your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine. Life is too short to deal with a crappy focus wheel, no matter how good the glass is, and regardless of the fact that plenty of my "other field hobby" friends think I'm nuts because I prefer my Conquest HD's over the SLC. Well, they probably don't go birding either, and I don't have to tell anyone here how annoying a sticky focus wheel is during an hours-long birding excursion with warblers at 10 feet and sandhill cranes flying overhead at 1/4 mile, all at the same time.

I can agree with you on this one, a couple of years ago, I asked to look at
a 10x42 SLC in a sporting goods store. I was amazed when I first tried to
focus this binocular, it was just stuck. I managed to get it to focus but
something was clearly wrong. I told the guy there to just send it back
for a replacement, don't sell it.

I am a Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss fanboy, but an equal opportunity optics
critic, I like binoculars and it is a bad, good habit, and my hobby.

The Zeiss Conquest HD has a very smooth focuser, I recommend it
and the Nikon Monarch HG as great choices in the sub-alpha category.

Jerry
Old Sunday 23rd December 2018, 22:40   #129
justabirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
The Zeiss Conquest HD has a very smooth focuser, I recommend it
and the Nikon Monarch HG as great choices in the sub-alpha category.

Jerry
Those are exactly the two pairs I recommend.

I still cannot believe just how well my Conquest HD's resolve detail. Every time I've looked at a $400-1K pair of bins and thought "hey, these are pretty good," I pull out my Conquest HD's and realize what "really good" looks like.

After a few years of testing "sub-alpha" bins, I'm finally starting to get a feel for what I should expect for my money.

Believe it or not, the only pair of bins I've tested in the past 2 years that can hang with my Conquest HD's in terms if pure sharpness, are my wife's "budget" 8x42 Legend M's. It's silly how sharp those are. They beat out a pair of Swaro SLC 8x30's easily. So much so that I owned that pair of Swaros for less than 48 hours.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: