• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (5 Viewers)

We're going to give it a go tomorrow (four of us) after missing the LTS by 20 mins at New Brighton last Saturday !!!!. The forecast doesn't look promising, but you never know.

I did manage to get up to the Wirral on Saturday. I would love to have gone on Sunday but family commitments stopped me, plus next weekend we are visiting friends in Kent so yesterday was my last chance.

I arrived at New Brighton (Perch Rock) at 7am and within 5 minutes had connected with 3 Leaches. I stayed there for a while but nothing else showed so decided to carry on to one of Jane's recommended sites, Gunsite. There was very little out on the sea just the evry day gulls. At the end of the car park strip there is a sandy bay with a line of rocks. There were quite a few waders and amongst them was one cracking, almost full summer, Grey Plover and a 2 Little Stints. I stayed for a while but nothing else was showing so moved onto Dover Point, another Jane recommendation. Here the sea was way out and by now the wind was really whipping up and rain had also entered the equation. Nothing out of apart from about 300+ Oystercatchers so I rang Jane to ask her advice. She did mention that a couple of Sab's had been seen on the sand bar but her other suggestion was to perhaps have a walk to Hilbre which I said that I would consider.

I stayed at Dover Point for almost an hour but couldn't find a Sab's Gull amongst them. Mind you virtually every small gull was lying down making an ID difficult, and I am not that good at seabirds anyway.

I decided to drive towards West Kirby but by the time I had reached Hoylake the weather had become extremely windy and rainy. I rang Jane again to state that I had decided not to make the long walk to Hilbre and her suggestion was to go back to New Brighton. I thanked her and went back there. I reached there by about 11am and over the next two and a half hours added a further 89 Leaches, 3 Manxie's a Bonxie and an Arctic Skua but Nothing else. At 1:30pm I decided to make my way home when a pager message alerted me to a Lesser Yellowlegs at Rutland so I diverted across country and managed to finish off the day with my first Midlands sighting of this species.

Thanks for the help Jane. As you had stated you thought that little else would be around and you were right. I, and quite a few others, tried to find the Long tailed Skua but it wasn't showing whilst I was there and noted that it never got reported throughout the day on the pager, apart from Leasowe's I think.

I enjoyed the day but was saddened that I didn't manage a few more new birds for the year.

John Malloy said:
Images attached was taken from the shore, despite being clse they were very difficult to photograph in blustery conditions! (My camera was caked with sand by the time I'd finished!)

John

Stunning Photos John.

Jane Turner said:
I was on Hilbre ... was lovely out there... wasn't really birding but did notice a few Leach's and a nice Pom!

Looks like I should have joined you on that walk after all. lol

Thanks for the info Jane. I had a good day but shot off at 1:30pm and then went after the Lesser Yellowlegs at Rutland Water.

How come it was so nice out at Hilbre. It was blowing a real hoolie at New Brighton.

I was sat inside the lifeboat station, watching birds and seals go past the end of the slipway...

That wasn't a hoolie btw.... you could stand up in it!

Jane Turner said:
That wasn't a hoolie btw.... you could stand up in it!

How do you know that wasn't seawatching on my back. lol

The only problem I had was stinging sand getting into my eyes, which didn't help me seeing as much as i wanted as I was forever trying to clear them.

Hi
I've never seen a storm/leaches petrel, and would love to come up sometime. Would it be possible to have a 'leaches forecast' for the next few days? - i'm not sure i'd interpret the weather forecasts correctly! - and nothing like someone on the spot.
Many thanks
Andrew

There were 6 or so Leach's this evening when I came in... so I expect there will be birds available tomorrow from Wirral. Point Lynas too will get them.

Where were you Jane in the 70's? This is an excellent thread. Do you take in lodgers by any chance because you could make a killing. ;)

I was on the Wirral seeing Leach's Petrels Mike... Once day I'll work out how many 1000s I've seen. Lodgers welcome.

Seems like a good time to bring this thread back to the surface. No seabirds yest, but there is a gale on its way - so wach this space.

Westerlies at this time of year will still produce some Leach's, traditionally Heysham, Formby, Point of Air and Point Lynas do best - but days of North-westerlies first produce the best results, filling more birds in to the Irish Sea in the first place.

A big westerly gale will put birds into the Irish sea in the first place, and I much prefer W over NW for N.Wirral, though its NW for putting birds into the Merey mouth

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back