• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Lens (1 Viewer)

alandawn

hi all

Been a keen birdwatcher for a few years now, but wish to get into bird photography, I have a Nikon D 60,but what is the best lens to get so I can get some decent shots,

Many Thanks

Alan

you probably have 3 choices with the d60.

Sigma 150-500 and Sigma 120-400 both have anti shake in the lens

although i expect the Nikon afs 300 with a 1.4 tc would be the best bet, only draw back is it doesn't come with anti shake in the lens so a mono pod may be needed in low light

unless you want to spend mega bucks

I vote for the 300/4 afs as even with the teleconverter, and without image stabilisation, its likely to produce much better results than the Sigma zooms. Expensive though, with the teleconverter your looking at over £1000 new; the Sigma zooms could be had for half as much.

I'd recommend the 300/4 afs also which I've used as a walking about lens for bird photography on my D70 for several years now without a TC. It's very sharp, even wide open, and easy to hand-hold (I shoot practically everything at ISO400). With the TC1.4 my guess is that except under very good lighting conditions you would need some form of support.

Just about everything (95%+) on my Flickr site was taken with this lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/

May Thanks fo all your replies and help, Im going to go for the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, will try first without a 1.4 tc and see how I get on, hope to post some of my photo,s on here to see what you all think

again many thanks

Alan

May Thanks fo all your replies and help, Im going to go for the Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, will try first without a 1.4 tc and see how I get on, hope to post some of my photo,s on here to see what you all think

again many thanks

Alan[/QUOTE

Alan. the 70-300 will probably not auto focus with the 1.4 TC if it does it will be very slow. It's a decent lens for the price but a little short for birding,

we were referring to the afs 300 f4 which will auto-focus with a 1.4tc.

hi Pete

The cheapest I can find on the net for the afs 300 f4 is £669, Im afraid this is a little out of my price bracket is there a alterative that will do the same job

many thanks
alan

500-mm is needed unless...

one uses a feed station or a blind to cut subject distances. General consensus is you'll always want/need greater reach. If budget constraints are at play limiting to say ~<$500USD, 70-300 VR + feeders are best. This lens doesn't take to teleconverters, though, with the IQ/AF suffering.

Best low cost to get to 500-mm is if one can find used 300 f/4; Tamron 200-500 or Bigma (Sigma 50-500)

See reviews for alternatives to get to 500-mm at
http://www.dslrgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2726#post2726

hi Pete

The cheapest I can find on the net for the afs 300 f4 is £669, Im afraid this is a little out of my price bracket is there a alterative that will do the same job

many thanks
alan

well i guess the sigma 120-400 at just under £500. heavy though!

as i say the 70-300 is a nice lens but you need to be able to get close.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back