• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Nest Made Of Daffodils (1 Viewer)

owlsgomoo

Today whilst at WWT Slimbridge, I saw the most adorable Coot couple crafting a very fine nest of mainly... Daffodils!

Unfortunately my camera wasn't really good enough to get even a semi decent shot! It had a few twigs and other usual nest material but the were lots and lots of daffs in there too!

I would imagine they will wilt and die soon and be a pointless addition to the nest, surely?! I was quite surprised to see this, is it normal to use fresh flowers?

That's quite interesting! Actually, the wilted flowers, it seems to me, could provide some useful material - perhaps a bit like grout between tiles or even function a little like small birds use spider webs to connect things, though that is entirely speculation on my part. On the other side, you would think flowers being colorful might draw unwanted attention to a nest.

Very interesting to hear if others have heard of flowers as part of nesting material for any birds... (that is apart from Bower birds which I think I've heard use them for their beauty)

Plenty of views and only one response?! Am still intrigued as to the reasoning the Coot would use daffodils...

I have to agree Gretchen, I would have thought it would attract it to predators and unwanted attention! I like the theory of them being like grout, although that would be one clever coot... no?! Haha!

I saw this too and wondered why; perhaps a Welsh Coot from over the River Severn?

Tony

Attachments

• Coot WWT Slimbridge-001.jpg
    Coot WWT Slimbridge-001.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Yes - WWT Slimbridge, Rushy Pen on Tuesday (10.04.12).

Only a compact hand held through the 'scope so not so good, but I am sure someone must have a good image as it was fairly handy to the hide.

Tony

PS - Just read another post and realised I've broken the general rules in posting photograph of the nest - Sorry will remove image if I can.

PPS Failed so moderators will perhaps.

Last edited:
If the photo was taken from a suitable distance, of a common species, easily viewable by the general public and not showing eggs or having caused any disturbance to the bird then a case could be made for no action being taken in removing the picture ...

Oh and illustrating a point ...

Although of course, rules ... and thin end of the wedge and all that ...

;)

I'm guessing that the Coot chose the daffodil stems with flowers on as they closely resemble the fleshy plant stems (sedges/reeds) that they would normally use - the flower heads may be incidental, although nice for human viewers.

I'm guessing that the Coot chose the daffodil stems with flowers on as they closely resemble the fleshy plant stems (sedges/reeds) that they would normally use - the flower heads may be incidental, although nice for human viewers.

Yes, the picture showing the stems definitely suggests that. Somehow I was just imagining the flowers themselves, but it makes sense that the flowers are just a byproduct.

I wonder if the preferred nesting material was in short supply, or maybe its an innovation!

Yes, the picture showing the stems definitely suggests that. Somehow I was just imagining the flowers themselves, but it makes sense that the flowers are just a byproduct.

I wonder if the preferred nesting material was in short supply, or maybe its an innovation!

The South Lake at Slimbridge has plenty of nesting material of all sorts, which is why it took me by surprise that it chose Daffodils!

Yes - WWT Slimbridge, Rushy Pen on Tuesday (10.04.12).

Only a compact hand held through the 'scope so not so good, but I am sure someone must have a good image as it was fairly handy to the hide.

Tony

Ahh so a good week or so after I visited, they obviously have decided to stick with the daffs!

How unusual and interesting. It would be great to get an image of a coot carrying a daffodil too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back