• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon MB-D11 for D7000 (1 Viewer)

alan kennedy

It's that time of year again and I have to submit my request. I use the 300f4 + tc most of the time and have been thinking about getting the battery grip. Is it worth having?

I'd be grateful for any comments.

Alan

On my D300 it was especially with the battery upgrade to the el4s which offered 8fps and battery life of in excess of 2000 images per charge. Camera feels nicer and balanced, plus you get a shutter button and control wheels in portrait mode.

I have just purchased the nikon grip for my d7000, so far I have found it to really balance the body when used with my 80-400 lens
Mark

Go for it ,but why use the genuine overpriced nikon version ,I paid just over thirty quid for a Chinese copy and have used it successfully for over a year now,daily use to.no problems

I've got the grips for my D7000 and D800E. It kills me that they change teh grip with every new body. It also gripes me that they are so expensive, and then you need different L-brackets as well.

The Nikon grip is well made. While it helped with frame rate on the D300, it does not make any difference on the new cameras. It allows you to carry an extra battery which can be handy.

The D7000 grip has an odd selector button to move the AF sensor. That means in portrait orientation, it takes some getting used to the grip. Moving the sensor and AF activation with the AF-On button are not as intuitive.

I do find the D7000 body a little small, and the grip helps it to fit my medium sized hands better.

The third party grips are a lot cheaper, but they can be quirky. Some of the third party grips make it hard to change the battery if you have an L-Bracket on the grip. I know of one that required removal of the bracket to change batteries. I've also seen several reports of issues over time where buttons don't feel the same, don't move the way they should, or similar issues. If you choose a third party grip, don't expect Nikon quality. They reduce the cost through less engineering and cheaper components.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back